Singapore Expats Forum

Really Need HELP with PR Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
elle90
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat, 30 Jan 2016

Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby elle90 » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 1:07 pm

Hi,

I'm a young single lady from Malaysia and I wish to apply for PR. However i do have questions with regards to application process. Sorry if my questions sound silly!

1. Am i still eligible to apply if i am not able produce at least 3 years of Income Tax Notices of Assessment? So for those who have been working for less than 3 years, its not advisable to apply or its okay to proceed? What should I do?



2. As for "Testimonials from previous employer stating the nature and duration of employment and also the last drawn basic salary."

Do they mean ALL previous employers throughout my whole career journey or only 1 latest previous employer?

What do they mean by testimonials, can it be employment letters from employers? But employment letters do not state duration (end date) of employment cause they can't predict how long will i be working for them. How do I get my previous employer to show how long I have worked there? Do I really have to approach all my previous employers and ask the HR to write a letter stating my job scope, duration and last drawn salary?

Do you have any idea how should I approach this particular criteria (for those who had their PR approved)




3. As for filing of documents to be handed over to ICA, should I separate the photocopied mandatory documents and additional documents in 2 different folders? or i can just hand in my documents all together, first pile of mandatory ones followed by additional docs

The original documents should not be filed together with photocopied ones when handing over the docs for sighting?



Thanks everyone!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 2:28 pm

Replies, to the best of my knowledge ..

elle90 wrote:1. Am i still eligible to apply if i am not able produce at least 3 years of Income Tax Notices of Assessment? So for those who have been working for less than 3 years, its not advisable to apply or its okay to proceed? What should I do?


Unlike other countries where you must meet certain requirements, Singapore doesn't enforce the 3 year rule. They will accept whatever you have.

If you are good, flavour of the month, right age/sex/productive type - you will jump many hoops in one go.

Or you may just have added a negative point to your points.

elle90 wrote:2. As for "Testimonials from previous employer stating the nature and duration of employment and also the last drawn basic salary."

Do they mean ALL previous employers throughout my whole career journey or only 1 latest previous employer?

What do they mean by testimonials, can it be employment letters from employers? But employment letters do not state duration (end date) of employment cause they can't predict how long will i be working for them. How do I get my previous employer to show how long I have worked there? Do I really have to approach all my previous employers and ask the HR to write a letter stating my job scope, duration and last drawn salary?

Do you have any idea how should I approach this particular criteria (for those who had their PR approved)


You need to bring 6 month Pay slips of the current employer, which is compulsory.

For previous employers and testimonials, it is good, but lack of it won't stop them from accepting the application. However, if the officer needs the previous employer's testimonials or pay slips, they can ask you to submit them at a later date.

elle90 wrote:
3. As for filing of documents to be handed over to ICA, should I separate the photocopied mandatory documents and additional documents in 2 different folders? or i can just hand in my documents all together, first pile of mandatory ones followed by additional docs

The original documents should not be filed together with photocopied ones when handing over the docs for sighting?


Unless things changed : You bring the original and copy. And keep them with you.

First you give the form. The officer will review the form. And then the officer will go through the list of documents.

Example : Birth certificate: you give the original and copy, they will verify the original and return it, and keep the copy. Some original documents maybe retained and returned to you later.

Likewise, for all required documents, and then optional documents - like Patents, Inventions, awards etc.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 2:33 pm

elle90 wrote:Hi,

I'm a young single lady from Malaysia and I wish to apply for PR. However i do have questions with regards to application process. Sorry if my questions sound silly!

1. Am i still eligible to apply if i am not able produce at least 3 years of Income Tax Notices of Assessment? So for those who have been working for less than 3 years, its not advisable to apply or its okay to proceed? What should I do?

ICA will not stop you from submitting the application if you dont have 3 years of Income Tax Notice. But, it is better to have that for getting a good chance to qualify for PR.

2. As for "Testimonials from previous employer stating the nature and duration of employment and also the last drawn basic salary."

Do they mean ALL previous employers throughout my whole career journey or only 1 latest previous employer?

Yes, it is all previous employers with your employment start date and end date and with salary.


What do they mean by testimonials, can it be employment letters from employers? But employment letters do not state duration (end date) of employment cause they can't predict how long will i be working for them. How do I get my previous employer to show how long I have worked there? Do I really have to approach all my previous employers and ask the HR to write a letter stating my job scope, duration and last drawn salary?

For your past employments, If you have an employment certificate with the duration of work, designation and salary it should be good enough.

Your previous employers would have given you a work experience letter to say that you worked with them? If you don't have and if you can get it, please get it from them.

They are not asking for Employment Offer Letter which does not have the end date. They are asking for the work experience letter.

In addition, if you have done well and the company/supervisor has given you appreciation letters, you may submit them as testimonials too.


Do you have any idea how should I approach this particular criteria (for those who had their PR approved)


3. As for filing of documents to be handed over to ICA, should I separate the photocopied mandatory documents and additional documents in 2 different folders? or i can just hand in my documents all together, first pile of mandatory ones followed by additional docs

ICA will ask the original application copy and photocopies of the application and the supporting documents. They will ask the documents in order one by one. You would need to give them the photo copies and show them the original certificates for their sighting.

The original documents should not be filed together with photocopied ones when handing over the docs for sighting?
You dont need to file. They will ask each document one by one. You don't need to worry too much about this as long as you have all the documents and photo copies.

Good Luck

Thanks everyone!

elle90
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat, 30 Jan 2016

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby elle90 » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 4:00 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
elle90 wrote:Hi,

I'm a young single lady from Malaysia and I wish to apply for PR. However i do have questions with regards to application process. Sorry if my questions sound silly!

1. Am i still eligible to apply if i am not able produce at least 3 years of Income Tax Notices of Assessment? So for those who have been working for less than 3 years, its not advisable to apply or its okay to proceed? What should I do?

ICA will not stop you from submitting the application if you dont have 3 years of Income Tax Notice. But, it is better to have that for getting a good chance to qualify for PR.

2. As for "Testimonials from previous employer stating the nature and duration of employment and also the last drawn basic salary."

Do they mean ALL previous employers throughout my whole career journey or only 1 latest previous employer?

Yes, it is all previous employers with your employment start date and end date and with salary.


What do they mean by testimonials, can it be employment letters from employers? But employment letters do not state duration (end date) of employment cause they can't predict how long will i be working for them. How do I get my previous employer to show how long I have worked there? Do I really have to approach all my previous employers and ask the HR to write a letter stating my job scope, duration and last drawn salary?

For your past employments, If you have an employment certificate with the duration of work, designation and salary it should be good enough.

Your previous employers would have given you a work experience letter to say that you worked with them? If you don't have and if you can get it, please get it from them.

They are not asking for Employment Offer Letter which does not have the end date. They are asking for the work experience letter.

In addition, if you have done well and the company/supervisor has given you appreciation letters, you may submit them as testimonials too.


Do you have any idea how should I approach this particular criteria (for those who had their PR approved)


3. As for filing of documents to be handed over to ICA, should I separate the photocopied mandatory documents and additional documents in 2 different folders? or i can just hand in my documents all together, first pile of mandatory ones followed by additional docs

ICA will ask the original application copy and photocopies of the application and the supporting documents. They will ask the documents in order one by one. You would need to give them the photo copies and show them the original certificates for their sighting.

The original documents should not be filed together with photocopied ones when handing over the docs for sighting?
You dont need to file. They will ask each document one by one. You don't need to worry too much about this as long as you have all the documents and photo copies.

Good Luck

Thanks everyone!




thank you both for the help! :)

what if one of my previous employers is in Malaysia or Hongkong, i'm not able to get an original copy of work experience letter unless she/her mail to my home here in SG which is a hassle.

is there any alternative? thanks!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 4:10 pm

elle90 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
elle90 wrote:Hi,

I'm a young single lady from Malaysia and I wish to apply for PR. However i do have questions with regards to application process. Sorry if my questions sound silly!

1. Am i still eligible to apply if i am not able produce at least 3 years of Income Tax Notices of Assessment? So for those who have been working for less than 3 years, its not advisable to apply or its okay to proceed? What should I do?

ICA will not stop you from submitting the application if you dont have 3 years of Income Tax Notice. But, it is better to have that for getting a good chance to qualify for PR.

2. As for "Testimonials from previous employer stating the nature and duration of employment and also the last drawn basic salary."

Do they mean ALL previous employers throughout my whole career journey or only 1 latest previous employer?

Yes, it is all previous employers with your employment start date and end date and with salary.


What do they mean by testimonials, can it be employment letters from employers? But employment letters do not state duration (end date) of employment cause they can't predict how long will i be working for them. How do I get my previous employer to show how long I have worked there? Do I really have to approach all my previous employers and ask the HR to write a letter stating my job scope, duration and last drawn salary?

For your past employments, If you have an employment certificate with the duration of work, designation and salary it should be good enough.

Your previous employers would have given you a work experience letter to say that you worked with them? If you don't have and if you can get it, please get it from them.

They are not asking for Employment Offer Letter which does not have the end date. They are asking for the work experience letter.

In addition, if you have done well and the company/supervisor has given you appreciation letters, you may submit them as testimonials too.


Do you have any idea how should I approach this particular criteria (for those who had their PR approved)


3. As for filing of documents to be handed over to ICA, should I separate the photocopied mandatory documents and additional documents in 2 different folders? or i can just hand in my documents all together, first pile of mandatory ones followed by additional docs

ICA will ask the original application copy and photocopies of the application and the supporting documents. They will ask the documents in order one by one. You would need to give them the photo copies and show them the original certificates for their sighting.

The original documents should not be filed together with photocopied ones when handing over the docs for sighting?
You dont need to file. They will ask each document one by one. You don't need to worry too much about this as long as you have all the documents and photo copies.

Good Luck

Thanks everyone!




thank you both for the help! :)

what if one of my previous employers is in Malaysia or Hongkong, i'm not able to get an original copy of work experience letter unless she/her mail to my home here in SG which is a hassle.

is there any alternative? thanks!


Having the original copy of the work experience letter is the only best option, even though getting it may not be easy.

In addition, if you can't get the original letter, ICA may ask you to write a letter stating why you don't have that, but not sure on how it will weigh in the outcome of your application.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 4:32 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:Having the original copy of the work experience letter is the only best option, even though getting it may not be easy.

In addition, if you can't get the original letter, ICA may ask you to write a letter stating why you don't have that, but not sure on how it will weigh in the outcome of your application.


I may beg to differ a bit there.

ICA folks used to ask people to write declarations for employers in Singapore, especially for the Current Employment place where some employers refused to certify the employment.

For overseas past employment, they weren't so worried - that's what I have seen enough of times.

So, my 2 cents says - don't stress too much. Worry about the current employer and the current pay slips etc. And the page that needs employer to fill in.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5404
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 5:04 pm

OP will be a shoe in.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 5:29 pm

PNGMK wrote:OP will be a shoe in.


May be yes, depending on how long the OP has been working in Singapore.

sstaceyy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 25 Feb 2016

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby sstaceyy » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 10:29 am

I'm applying for PR as well but I have got no idea what to indicate in my cover letter. I heard that it will be good to have a cover letter.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 10:38 am

sstaceyy wrote:I'm applying for PR as well but I have got no idea what to indicate in my cover letter. I heard that it will be good to have a cover letter.


Inventions, Discoveries, Patents .. could be in a cover letter.

Most of the time the staff just return the cover letter- unless something changed of later.

Cover letter is accepted in exceptional conditions only - again, from what I know.

sstaceyy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 25 Feb 2016

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby sstaceyy » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 10:52 am

Do I have to indicated the ownership of vehicle in my cover letter as well?
Do you have any sample of it?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:04 am

sstaceyy wrote:Do I have to indicated the ownership of vehicle in my cover letter as well?
Do you have any sample of it?


Are you kidding ?

You want me to write it for you now ?

Where do you hail from, if I may ask ...

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:56 am

sstaceyy wrote:Do I have to indicated the ownership of vehicle in my cover letter as well?
Do you have any sample of it?

As indicated by ecureilx, cover letter is to mention about the achievements that you have made or some value additions that you have made in your work/career etc. It is not to mention about the properties, vehicles that you own. Just my 2 cents.

In addition, there is no standard format for all these letters. You have to state the reality, which differs from person to person and so the contents of the letter does not have a standard template/format.
Last edited by singaporeflyer on Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

sstaceyy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 25 Feb 2016

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby sstaceyy » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 2:26 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
sstaceyy wrote:Do I have to indicated the ownership of vehicle in my cover letter as well?
Do you have any sample of it?

As indicated by ecureilx, cover letter is to mention about the achievements that you have made or some value additions that you have made in your work/career etc. It is not to mention about the properties, vehicles that you own. Just my 2 cents.

In addition, there is no standard format for all these letters. You have to state the reality, which differs from person to person and so the contents of the letter does not have a standard template/format.


It's much clearer to me now. ^^
Thanks for all the help, singaporeflyer & ecureilx =)

sgstrait
Regular
Regular
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat, 13 Jun 2015
Contact:

Re: Really Need HELP with PR Application

Postby sgstrait » Fri, 26 Feb 2016 1:09 pm

I didn't include a cover letter or include past employer testimonials/certificates but I still got PR. Most of what you put in the form they will verify separately anyway. They know cover letter is full of non-verifiable subjective bullish*t anyway so best keep it out

Sent from my bottom using High-Powered-Air[TRADE MARK SIGN]


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests