Singapore Expats

Apply for PR with different passport? (Dual national)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Apply for PR with different passport? (Dual national)

Post by Primrose Hill » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 12:42 pm

I am a dual national too. Malaysian by birth and UK by naturalisation. I got my PR on my Msian citizenship whilst my daughter and husband on their British

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 27 Feb 2016 12:20 am

All, I have split the thread from the point Ricedoll started asking about US taxation as it is not relevant to the original thread... applying for PR with a different passport.

The new thread is named, "Ricedoll's Issues With US Taxation".

Cheers.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 27 Feb 2016 12:42 am

Ricedoll, please post your tax related comments in the the other thread I have split off, and not here. I have moved your latest post to that thread. Any more and I will delete them.

Moderator.

byseeksconseil1

Post by byseeksconseil1 » Tue, 25 Dec 2018 12:14 am

I know this is an old post, and I hope people don't mind me reviving it. To recap, the OP is a Filipino/British dual national. Her work pass was associated with her Filipino passport, and she was wondering if she should apply for PR using her Filipino or British passport. I hope that things went well with her PR application, whichever passport she decided to use in the application.

I want to follow up on the point that sundaymorningstaple raised below.

Suppose the following:
- OP applied for PR using her Filipino passport
- OP was granted PR status
- OP later apply for Singapore Citizenship
- Throughout the entire process, ICA was not aware of her second passport (she chose to not have her Re-entry Permit associated with her British passport)
- She was granted in-principle approval for Singapore Citizenship and now has to renounce her citizenship

Would it be ok (legally) if she renounces only her Filipino citizenship at this point since ICA was not aware of her British citizenship?

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As you know, PR is supposed to be a stepping stone to Citizenship. This could also hamper your chances as you would have to give up both your British and Philippines citizenships should you ever decide to take up Singapore Citizenship. The ICA may think that that would be a bit much to ask so they might think twice about PR. I think I'd stick with the Philippine Passport (You may have to reveal your dual citizenship if you haven't already when applying for your work visa.)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Dec 2018 12:44 am

Legally, no, it's not okay. The fact that ICA doesn't know about it doesn't make it any less illegal. Should they find out at some point in the future, I think the repercussions could be serious. Such has having your Singapore Citizenship revoked as having been gotten under false pretenses. Not sure if it's a jail-able offence but littering is so it's worth thinking about (not trying it). They tend to "get even" when you are caught deliberately gaming the system.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 25 Dec 2018 4:23 pm

ICA will attempt to revoke her SC if they have proof of the second passport. A friend in a similar situation had someone blab to ICA and is now effectively banned from Singapore as there are warrants out for him back in Singapore.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!