Singapore Expats

Question about lifestyle in Singapore for two

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Petar B

Question about lifestyle in Singapore for two

Post by Petar B » Tue, 23 Feb 2016 6:25 am

Hi All,

Me and my wife will be moving to Singapore soon for the next couple of years and we will have a budget of 9000$ per month.

We won't be living a fancy lifestyle - our plans are to find a cheaper (smaller) HDB apartment and to mainly eat at home without too much clubbing or shopping. Our main goal is to try to save some money monthly and to travel in the area as much as we can.

Do you guys think that we will have the opportunity to do so with the budget that we will have on our hands?

Any opinions/advices are welcome! Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Question about lifestyle in Singapore for two

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Feb 2016 7:00 am

Yes.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 23 Feb 2016 3:35 pm

Petar B wrote:Hi All,

Me and my wife will be moving to Singapore soon for the next couple of years and we will have a budget of 9000$ per month.

We won't be living a fancy lifestyle - our plans are to find a cheaper (smaller) HDB apartment and to mainly eat at home without too much clubbing or shopping. Our main goal is to try to save some money monthly and to travel in the area as much as we can.

Do you guys think that we will have the opportunity to do so with the budget that we will have on our hands?

Any opinions/advices are welcome! Thank you!
I concur with SMS , rents are heading South , you will do very nicely thank you ....

Enjoy your travels!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 23 Feb 2016 4:48 pm

Two remarks:
(1) eating out may not necessarily be more expensive than cooking at home.
(2) while combining the lifestyle with accommodation it may not be universally true to rent an hdb cheaper than a condo. For example, the area I live may have, for the same floor size, the difference between condo/hdb as little as $300. Now if I would live in hdb and wanted to use swimming pool and such, that could zero that difference already. Not to mention there is usually a difference in the quality of these two types including the ambient noise.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 23 Feb 2016 5:01 pm

x9200 wrote:Two remarks:
(1) eating out may not necessarily be more expensive than cooking at home.
(2) while combining the lifestyle with accommodation it may not be universally true to rent an hdb cheaper than a condo. For example, the area I live may have, for the same floor size, the difference between condo/hdb as little as $300. Now if I would live in hdb and wanted to use swimming pool and such, that could zero that difference already. Not to mention there is usually a difference in the quality of these two types including the ambient noise.
Depend where you live , my HDB is almost as quiet as where my parents live in the UK. I haven't heard my neighbours once in 8 years. Maybe its coz Pasir Ris not very happening :D

For $300 thats a lot swimming in the pool to make it up, I think even if you went to Aquatic Centre at sports hub that would be 150 trips a month. :D

I do agree though at the rental between HDB/Condo for same floor area is closing up. There are tons n tons of 2/3 bed condo out there now that they have to slash rental to compete , which is bringing them into the 2/3 bed HDB area.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 23 Feb 2016 6:03 pm

It takes also some money (and time) to travel to/from. With the pool, tennis courts, bbq pits, gyms and 2+ people, it may eat up the difference.