Singapore Expats

Some questions to ask

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
eckng

Some questions to ask

Post by eckng » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:57 am

Hi,

I have two questions.

1) If I marry first in Singapore and then find a job that offer WP while waiting for LTVP to approve, do I need to get the approval from MOM to marry?

2) My PMLA is applied in 19th Jan. 15th Feb is the end of the 4th week. Until today it is the fifth week. Why is it that the application takes so long and how long more do I have to wait? Should I write in to the authority using [email protected] to ask them for the status of the application?

I called the hotline for PMLA and they say may take 4-6 weeks but the website only take 4 weeks. My friend say maybe they count 4 weeks as from 19th Jan to 19th Feb(making it a month) instead of the normal 4 weeks calculation(which is until 15th Feb only). Please help my situation.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Some questions to ask

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 11:09 am

eckng wrote:1) If I marry first in Singapore and then find a job that offer WP while waiting for LTVP to approve, do I need to get the approval from MOM to marry?
Please try rephrasing this question. It doesn't make sense. If you are already married (first part of your question), why would you then request anybody's approval to get married (second part)? Are you planning to be married to two or more people at the same time (bigamy or polygamy)?
2) My PMLA is applied in 19th Jan. 15th Feb is the end of the 4th week. Until today it is the fifth week. Why is it that the application takes so long and how long more do I have to wait?
A "normal" spousal LTVP application can take months. A PMLA takes as long as it takes. "Months" is possible. Also bear in mind that ICA's employees took/take Chinese New Year holidays just like everyone else.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 2:49 pm

I believe only Singapore Citizens need to get approval to marry a WP or former WP holder.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 3:44 pm

bgd wrote:I believe only Singapore Citizens need to get approval to marry a WP or former WP holder.
From MOM.

If you are a current or former Work Permit holder who wishes to marry a Singapore citizen or permanent resident (PR), you must seek approval from MOM.

However, you do not have to apply for approval if you:

Do not hold a Work Permit (e.g. you are an S Pass or Employment Pass holder).
Are a former Work Permit holder whose last held work pass was upgraded to Employment Pass or S Pass.
Are a former Work Permit holder who is now a Singapore citizen or Singapore PR.

eckng

Post by eckng » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:12 pm

If she is not a WP or former WP holder, but she want to marry first before application for job, does she need to apply for permission to get married still?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:23 pm

If she has NEVER worked in Singapore before or has NEVER worked on a WP before, no. She does not need permission. Get married then let her go job hunting. IN THAT ORDER.

Read up on Letter of Consent on the MOM site as well if she is given an LTVP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers