Singapore Expats Forum

Shop lifting case

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Idiotic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016

Shop lifting case

Postby Idiotic » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 12:25 am

21 this year. Stole groceries n sanitary pads worth around $60. On bail for 10 days. what Should I expect? It's under sec 380 ch224. I don't need any lecture, I'm already dying out of guilt n self hatred..i know it was wrong, i did it because im desperate n i got no money on me. I'm having difficulty on financial side because business was very bad, I'm looking for a second job to get over with it..but I've made a mistake, n the consequences is haunting me. I just need to know what is the best I can hope for.. although I'm already prepared that court case is highly possible. The IO said he'll help me to apply for a conditional warning, but he can't promise. I don't know whether Should I carry high hope on this or not. Please advise.. I can't let my family members n love ones worry about me anymore.. n about bailor, what If no one can bail me again? My bailor, who is a friend of mine, can't take leave to bail me anymore, she is working on a contract term, I can't make her lose her job.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9264
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Shop lifting case

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 9:13 am

Idiotic wrote:21 this year. Stole groceries n sanitary pads worth around $60. On bail for 10 days. what Should I expect? It's under sec 380 ch224. I don't need any lecture, I'm already dying out of guilt n self hatred..i know it was wrong, i did it because im desperate n i got no money on me. I'm having difficulty on financial side because business was very bad, I'm looking for a second job to get over with it..but I've made a mistake, n the consequences is haunting me. I just need to know what is the best I can hope for.. although I'm already prepared that court case is highly possible. The IO said he'll help me to apply for a conditional warning, but he can't promise. I don't know whether Should I carry high hope on this or not. Please advise.. I can't let my family members n love ones worry about me anymore.. n about bailor, what If no one can bail me again? My bailor, who is a friend of mine, can't take leave to bail me anymore, she is working on a contract term, I can't make her lose her job.

At 21 what business are you engaged in ?

Let me find a relevant thread for you to read up.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Shop lifting case

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:00 am

are you a SC/PR/EP/Spass/WP ?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Idiotic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016

Re: Shop lifting case

Postby Idiotic » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 5:09 pm

PR for around or more than 15 years. It's a pet business. I get my income via profit sharing, I can swear that I worked hard, but sometimes business isn't just about working hard.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9264
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Shop lifting case

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 5:20 pm

Idiotic wrote:PR for around or more than 15 years. It's a pet business. I get my income via profit sharing, I can swear that I worked hard, but sometimes business isn't just about working hard.

Agreed. So it's ok to steal ? :( I don't get you ...

Idiotic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016

Re: Shop lifting case

Postby Idiotic » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 5:39 pm

It's totally not ok at all. I know, I'm guilty n ashamed, super remorseful n is totally disappointed with myself. I didn't post here to seek for understanding. Yes I knew I deserve punishment. But I still hope for the best outcome n I'm here to seek for advise. For penal code 380, jail term is a 100% If I get charge in court. So, how much is the possibility for me to get just a conditional warning like the IO said he'll help me to apply for? If I can't get a warning n have to go to court instead, is it possible for me to write to AGC without a lawyer to lower my offend penal code to 379? How to? I just need some advise.. I need to know where Should I head to n what Should I do..

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Shop lifting case

Postby bgd » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 6:20 pm

Do a search here, similar cases have come up before. I think the most sensible thing is to engage a lawyer now.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9264
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Shop lifting case

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 6:46 pm

bgd wrote:Do a search here, similar cases have come up before. I think the most sensible thing is to engage a lawyer now.

Without money ?

I seriously don't know if Legal Aid will step in for this case . But nothing lost trying.

Idiotic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016

Re: Shop lifting case

Postby Idiotic » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 7:20 pm

Thanks for replying.
What is Legal aid?
I don't have money to seek for a lawyer, unless there's one who is willing to accept payment in instalment, without credit card.
N how long Should I expect the case to carry on? My friend can't bail me because of her working hour, the reporting time is at weekdays morning n she can't take leave anymore. She's on a contract term n I can't make her lose her job. But no others can bail me. What Should I do about this?

Idiotic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016

Re: RE: Re: Shop lifting case

Postby Idiotic » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 7:30 pm

ecureilx wrote:
bgd wrote:Do a search here, similar cases have come up before. I think the most sensible thing is to engage a lawyer now.

Without money ?

I seriously don't know if Legal Aid will step in for this case . But nothing lost trying.


Found a website, is it Legal aid Bereau?

Idiotic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016

Re: RE: Re: Shop lifting case

Postby Idiotic » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 7:41 pm

ecureilx wrote:
bgd wrote:Do a search here, similar cases have come up before. I think the most sensible thing is to engage a lawyer now.

Without money ?

I seriously don't know if Legal Aid will step in for this case . But nothing lost trying.

Legal aid Bureau didn't handle this. But they advised me to go to criminal legal aid scheme. really thanks for Your reply.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: Shop lifting case

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 22 Feb 2016 4:23 pm

OP - let us know the outcome.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

summerquinn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 29 Feb 2016

Re: Shop lifting case

Postby summerquinn » Mon, 29 Feb 2016 4:42 pm

Hi there, I'm not a lawyer, but I know of a few, and wanted to jump in ............ and no, none of my lawyer friends would work for free - even for me, I don't dare ask for free work! But I kinda learnt a few things .............. so maybe this will help..........

1. Please call around some law firms - yes i know you don't have money. I didn't either when I wanted some legal advice (was thinking of suing an employee who didn't fulfill his contract, but I didn't in the end). Thing is this - MANY lawyers will not mind taking a FIRST meeting with you - FREE OF CHARGE. I really don't know if it's a criminal matter and the person asking for the meeting has been charged with a criminal offence - but i think you should try!!

MANY lawyers are willing to even give primary advice over the phone. It seems to me that you have basic questions - and i think many lawyers won't mind taking a 10 minute call to answer your queries - OR make an appointment and meet them for 10 minutes. Honestly, try that! You don't have to tell them you can't afford to pay - after all, people who can pay ALSO meet several lawyers before they appoint ONE - so don't tell them you have no money but rather that you want to find a suitable lawyer. MOST law firms will want to meet you ONE TIME for FREE, so they can advise you further about costs, procedures, etc.

THAT was my experience. I was very serious about suing my ex-employee - but after talking to 3 lawyers - all for free - they told me my contract wasn't iron clad and it is a 50/50 chance I will lose the case. Also as one pointed out - am i fighting for my ego or did the employee cause me any real loss. He was right. My ex-employee didn't cause any real loss. I moved on. Never hired ANY of them in the end. Yet all 3 took meetings with me. For free.

So my STRONG ADVICE is to do this!!

Otherwise, yes use Legal Aid Bureau, or the site you found - there are FREE legal clinics too. Just google, or ask Legal Aid.

2. Bail - I don't understand if your bailor is just giving excuses. Come on, surely she can get CASH out from ANY ATM machine after her work - machines are 24/7 turned on. Then, she can give the CASH to you, can't she? And can't you give it to your family member or whomever to pay your bail? Why is she making this so hard? I've not bailed people out, or been bailed out, but I have had to get cash out after hours and give to someone to pass to someone else - what's the big deal?!

3. I don't get how you say you're on bail for 10 days but you say you need the bailor to bail you AGAIN? What do you mean? Aren't you already on bail now?

4. You sound very remorseful. I believe you when you say you're guilty and feeling shame. I totally believe it's a mistake. Humans make mistakes. The point is that you feel bad and I doubt you'll do the same thing ever again.

I run my own business, and trust me, it's NOT easy for me either! I barely make anything but have the will and hope that one day I will succeed. And it's not easy waiting for clients to pay, and they don't pay on time! I'm still waiting on payment from last year from one client! Sometimes I want to pull my hair out, and just go get a full time salaried job working for an employer! But I know I won't be happy, and I know my passion lies in my business. At times - in fact many times though - I simply want to give up cos financially it's not easy.

Point is that I would never steal - my morals won't allow me - but honestly sometimes it's so hard financially that I do think just for five minutes if I should put aside my morals and steal a bit haha! Then I return to myself, and know I can't. This is my long winded way of saying that I TOTALLY get how someone can be driven to shoplift and steal! Sometimes I have the same thoughts - even if temporarily. And I think of myself as a 'good' person - I even return payments when paid to be in error - and yet when I am broke, and waiting for clients/payments, I actually entertain thoughts of being 'bad'. So i totally get how you could've done this mistake. Life is hard. I know. I'm there now. You snapped, you shoplifted, but more importantly you seem to know it's wrong and are remorseful.

Just wanted to tell you that I understand.

5. From what I see in the papers including one celeb from that Under One Roof sitcom who stole (can't remember her name) - I don't think first time offenders are jailed. I think $60 sounds like a small amount. I think you'll get a fine, and a telling off or warning - I really don't think prison terms are on the books for a small crime like this.

Hope you're doing well, and hope these answers help! Do come back and update us how everything went! ALL THE BEST!

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: Shop lifting case

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 29 Feb 2016 5:26 pm

SummerQuinine is a kind soul.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

Idiotic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016

Re: Shop lifting case

Postby Idiotic » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 11:47 pm

summerquinn wrote:Hi there, I'm not a lawyer, but I know of a few, and wanted to jump in ............ and no, none of my lawyer friends would work for free - even for me, I don't dare ask for free work! But I kinda learnt a few things .............. so maybe this will help..........

1. Please call around some law firms - yes i know you don't have money. I didn't either when I wanted some legal advice (was thinking of suing an employee who didn't fulfill his contract, but I didn't in the end). Thing is this - MANY lawyers will not mind taking a FIRST meeting with you - FREE OF CHARGE. I really don't know if it's a criminal matter and the person asking for the meeting has been charged with a criminal offence - but i think you should try!!

MANY lawyers are willing to even give primary advice over the phone. It seems to me that you have basic questions - and i think many lawyers won't mind taking a 10 minute call to answer your queries - OR make an appointment and meet them for 10 minutes. Honestly, try that! You don't have to tell them you can't afford to pay - after all, people who can pay ALSO meet several lawyers before they appoint ONE - so don't tell them you have no money but rather that you want to find a suitable lawyer. MOST law firms will want to meet you ONE TIME for FREE, so they can advise you further about costs, procedures, etc.

THAT was my experience. I was very serious about suing my ex-employee - but after talking to 3 lawyers - all for free - they told me my contract wasn't iron clad and it is a 50/50 chance I will lose the case. Also as one pointed out - am i fighting for my ego or did the employee cause me any real loss. He was right. My ex-employee didn't cause any real loss. I moved on. Never hired ANY of them in the end. Yet all 3 took meetings with me. For free.

So my STRONG ADVICE is to do this!!

Otherwise, yes use Legal Aid Bureau, or the site you found - there are FREE legal clinics too. Just google, or ask Legal Aid.

2. Bail - I don't understand if your bailor is just giving excuses. Come on, surely she can get CASH out from ANY ATM machine after her work - machines are 24/7 turned on. Then, she can give the CASH to you, can't she? And can't you give it to your family member or whomever to pay your bail? Why is she making this so hard? I've not bailed people out, or been bailed out, but I have had to get cash out after hours and give to someone to pass to someone else - what's the big deal?!

3. I don't get how you say you're on bail for 10 days but you say you need the bailor to bail you AGAIN? What do you mean? Aren't you already on bail now?

4. You sound very remorseful. I believe you when you say you're guilty and feeling shame. I totally believe it's a mistake. Humans make mistakes. The point is that you feel bad and I doubt you'll do the same thing ever again.

I run my own business, and trust me, it's NOT easy for me either! I barely make anything but have the will and hope that one day I will succeed. And it's not easy waiting for clients to pay, and they don't pay on time! I'm still waiting on payment from last year from one client! Sometimes I want to pull my hair out, and just go get a full time salaried job working for an employer! But I know I won't be happy, and I know my passion lies in my business. At times - in fact many times though - I simply want to give up cos financially it's not easy.

Point is that I would never steal - my morals won't allow me - but honestly sometimes it's so hard financially that I do think just for five minutes if I should put aside my morals and steal a bit haha! Then I return to myself, and know I can't. This is my long winded way of saying that I TOTALLY get how someone can be driven to shoplift and steal! Sometimes I have the same thoughts - even if temporarily. And I think of myself as a 'good' person - I even return payments when paid to be in error - and yet when I am broke, and waiting for clients/payments, I actually entertain thoughts of being 'bad'. So i totally get how you could've done this mistake. Life is hard. I know. I'm there now. You snapped, you shoplifted, but more importantly you seem to know it's wrong and are remorseful.

Just wanted to tell you that I understand.

5. From what I see in the papers including one celeb from that Under One Roof sitcom who stole (can't remember her name) - I don't think first time offenders are jailed. I think $60 sounds like a small amount. I think you'll get a fine, and a telling off or warning - I really don't think prison terms are on the books for a small crime like this.

Hope you're doing well, and hope these answers help! Do come back and update us how everything went! ALL THE BEST!


Thank you very much for your reply, really appreciate it. To be honest, and very shameful, things I stole were mostly food , 2packets of sanitary pads, a bottle of apple cider vinegar, and the most expensive among all the items was a bottle of dog shampoo. I don't know how to describe my feeling, but that's how bad my situation were at that time. But yeah, I shouldn't had shoplift no matter what. Luckily, I was let off with just a conditional warning, super super super thankful for the chance.
My friend was a few months younger than me and she came from a very strict family, plus she is working for a school, so yeah, this kind of situation was super difficult for her, she got to hide it from her families and workplace. But she really helped me a lot, very grateful that I have nice friends around me.
For that business thing you said, I totally agree with you, it is so hard for small business to survive nowadays, especially if you don't have a strong and wealthy background.
Good things is that things are getting better for me now.. although I'm still not earning enough, but at least we're able to pay the shop rentle and sustain daily expenses. Haha.
Yes, I can choose to give up too, and just work for anyone else and get a full time salaried job, but, my life is here with this business, my passion and happiness is here too. If I were to give up, what do I still left with? Not much people understand this.
Haha sorry if I sound like I'm complaining life or what, I don't mean to, but it's really hard to meet people that understand my "stubbornness" and all the hardship to operate a business.
Once again, thank you for your kind words. :) I'm sorry if my English is bad and hard to read. I'm more of a mandarin person. My teacher once said that my English wasn't "broken", it's already "shattered". Haha, I'm still working on it.
Anyway, I'm sincerely grateful for all the replies and all the best to you guys. :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests