Singapore Expats

LTVP for Mother in Law

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: LTVP for Mother in Law

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 9:10 am

oh and one more thing

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 9:17 am

UN fcking believable! what if Mother in law may still want to visit the kids in say 6 months time? singapore may issue visa but OP's gonna Play GOD/ICA to your mother in law and say oohh guess what? kids all grown up now, we don't want you anymore, get your ass back to India.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 10:21 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:UN fcking believable! what if Mother in law may still want to visit the kids in say 6 months time? singapore may issue visa but OP's gonna Play GOD/ICA to your mother in law and say oohh guess what? kids all grown up now, we don't want you anymore, get your ass back to India.
Well, you see the tantrum OP threw, when I jokingly suggested getting his mother instead ? You know the mother in law / daughter in law and the serious issues back home ? :D
itscasti wrote:Thanks for this SMS, abrupt is fine! At least you didn't mock somebody looking for advice with insinuations and drumbeats of "breach breach", after having all the personal circumstances laid out in the first post. Fair enough, if there's no way out, will take it in our stride. Will send my wife with her Mom to India for a couple of months. If the elder kid (7 yr old) has to be separated for a few weeks from the mom, and left at the mercy of our current maid with whom the rapport isn't great, so be it. As for the mom, she has problems with walking - but I won''t really call her feeble - she massages and bathes the baby and puts her to sleep, besides being an amazing cook and a great friend to her daughter!
Wonderful .. and still not a word of thanks to the guy who reminded you that you have run your luck out .. you must be a real joy when you don't get the advice you demand :)

Just to remind you, do go to ICA and ask them the terms of a Multiple Entry Visa.

The conditions state "may be permitted to enter and stay in Singapore, for upto 30 days at time". And goes on to stay "for longer stay, do seek the appropriate passes".

Does that mean anything ? or you are still frothing mad at ICA being heartless and not breaking their law ? Or being so terrible and horrible that they dind't spend time explaining to you why a NO is still a NO.

And do let me know when you are going to say Thanks -> to me .. for wasting my time telling you that you have run out your luck at the first renewal itself and explained to you in detail how you managed to run out your luck.

You are very much welcome !!!! (or not, as I am strongly convinced that you are one of those who can't ear their pride and admit they are wrong ... when they are really wrong )

itscasti

Post by itscasti » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 2:23 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:oh and one more thing

This is hilarious man...it actually lightened my mood. Do me a favor, send me a business reply envelope too so I can fill this form out and send it back to you!

itscasti

Post by itscasti » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 2:56 pm

ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:UN fcking believable! what if Mother in law may still want to visit the kids in say 6 months time? singapore may issue visa but OP's gonna Play GOD/ICA to your mother in law and say oohh guess what? kids all grown up now, we don't want you anymore, get your ass back to India.
Well, you see the tantrum OP threw, when I jokingly suggested getting his mother instead ? You know the mother in law / daughter in law and the serious issues back home ? :D
itscasti wrote:Thanks for this SMS, abrupt is fine! At least you didn't mock somebody looking for advice with insinuations and drumbeats of "breach breach", after having all the personal circumstances laid out in the first post. Fair enough, if there's no way out, will take it in our stride. Will send my wife with her Mom to India for a couple of months. If the elder kid (7 yr old) has to be separated for a few weeks from the mom, and left at the mercy of our current maid with whom the rapport isn't great, so be it. As for the mom, she has problems with walking - but I won''t really call her feeble - she massages and bathes the baby and puts her to sleep, besides being an amazing cook and a great friend to her daughter!
Wonderful .. and still not a word of thanks to the guy who reminded you that you have run your luck out .. you must be a real joy when you don't get the advice you demand :)

Just to remind you, do go to ICA and ask them the terms of a Multiple Entry Visa.

The conditions state "may be permitted to enter and stay in Singapore, for upto 30 days at time". And goes on to stay "for longer stay, do seek the appropriate passes".

Does that mean anything ? or you are still frothing mad at ICA being heartless and not breaking their law ? Or being so terrible and horrible that they dind't spend time explaining to you why a NO is still a NO.

And do let me know when you are going to say Thanks -> to me .. for wasting my time telling you that you have run out your luck at the first renewal itself and explained to you in detail how you managed to run out your luck.

You are very much welcome !!!! (or not, as I am strongly convinced that you are one of those who can't ear their pride and admit they are wrong ... when they are really wrong )
Alright, my bad for calling you a troll and a big thanks to you for letting me know I've been lucky and have ran out of my luck....And I'm not cross at ICA as you suggest, just was a bit disappointed when things don't go my way...and you must have missed it in my original post that my parents were here on an LTVP for 5 -months during the pregnancy, leaving aside their business and farm because the situation demanded so. They are still ready to come but I can't keep inconveniencing them for my own selfish needs....it is not that all retired folks in India are idling and craving to come over here...and yes all is well with the daughter-in law and mom-in law relationship. In fact my mom's calming influence got wifey out of her suicidal tendencies and depression arising out of her medical conditions of Hyperemesis and Ptyalism - conditions that persisted the full nine months and led to her quitting/losing her job in SG. My dad is into his 70s, is partially blind yet he missed doing all the hard manual labour on his farm, when he was locked up here in air-conditioning during the rather longish haze season. I could see that he was restless and itching to go back and I won't ever call them back again, unless they do so voluntarily. It was not my intention to start a sob story, anyway....I thought I'll put the reasons out! And guess what, now that it seems imminent wife has to move back to India, she won't be heading to her home in a metro but to the countryside with my Mom, far from the crowd and pollution.
Last edited by itscasti on Thu, 18 Feb 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itscasti

Post by itscasti » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 3:56 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
itscasti wrote:Hi, first a bit about me - I am a male, PEP holder and an Indian national working in SG since the start of 2012. We recently had our second child in Dec-2015 born here in SG after what was a psychologically and physically draining pregnancy for my wife. During this period, my parents on valid DPs were for close to five months with us in SG lending moral and spiritual support, before heading back to India to tend to their farm/agriculture. My mother in-law arrived in SG on an SVP at the stroke of the childbirth and has stayed here with us since then - she has had two extensions of 30 days each of her SVP taking her stay to 90 days. The first extension was on i-extend and the second one was in person at ICA with a local sponsor. During the second extension, the attending officer started off saying she would grant a 30-day extension - this was as if it was by default (without even bothering to checking our circumstances and supporting documents) -> it ended up being just a monologue. We were thankful for the extension but we were hoping for a couple of additional months. I know people abuse the system but there must be some way to differentiate the needy from the rest. She said we must approach MOM to regularize her stay, if we wish to, while knowing that MOM doesn't entertain LTVP for in-laws anymore. On being queried, if we could send her back to India and get her into SG in a few days and if there was any cooling off period, the reply was there is no declared cooling period and that entry is completely at the officer's discretion.

I know that MOM has stopped issuing LTVP's for in-laws of main pass holders since 2013 - a benefit it had extended to previous P-1 type EP holders prior to 2013. I have been a beneficiary of those allowances back in 2008 when we had our first child and wife needed support from her mother post delivery. This time around despite having a domestic help, we need her even more badly for one the elder child goes to school here and we cannot separate the mother from her for too long (in case travelling back to India is being contemplated) and two, wife isn't doing as good as she was back in 2008. We feel we are stuck with this situation just because we had a school going child and that we chose to have our second child delivered here (and that doesn't come cheap here either @ 12k $ for a C-section). Money is still not an issue here and I could even give a bond on the lines of what is done for an FDW.

Any suggestions from the pundits to alleviate this issue would be great - we are looking at atleast an additional 2-3 months of MIL's stay here before sending her back for good. I was looking at subjects for appointments with MOM but none seemed to fit our situation. Should this be treated as a lost cause?

Regards
1. your Mother in law was allowed 90 days! ( something that not everyone gets all the time)

2. "it just ended up being a monologue" - stop being so condescending, it's like you automatically qualify for an extension based on sympathy.

3. you know there is no LTVP's anymore being an EP holder, so why bother ? send your wife back home where she wouldn't be pyschologically and emotionally drained as you put it.

4. you want to use your Mother in Law as a maid and you have no qualms about it. hire a maid maybe?

5. "We want to keep the mother in law for 2-3 months before she's gone for good" - good heavens , what are you going to do? eliminate her?, decide heкservices are not requireв anymore and kick her down the stairs?

6. stop being greedy, selfish,arrogant and condescending..and treat your mother in law betteк and wear a freak condom if you don't want all the additional headache.
1. Yes we were being greedy here.
2. You missed the point - it's like you automatically qualify for an extension by just showing up (with a sponsor). And we did not know about the 89day rule until pointed out here.
3. The government here is more reasonable and flexible than you may think - I am sure exceptions are granted on a case by case basis. I know of one case in my neighborhood where this has happened but there the employer stepped in as a guarantor- in my case I am on my own. So there's no harm trying! There's nothing at stake for you to say why bother!
4. You don't know us enough, to make such a sweeping statement - I have already said before - we have a maid. What next - are you going to be guessing something about the maid and how bad an employer I am?
5. I had a little laugh at this one - you can choose to play and nitpick with words that went wrong. The intent is get whatever amount of extension or pass duration you can, however short it may be. FYI she's travelled to SG once every year for the past four years spending a month every time and with the FIL. They've done all the touristy things, watched movies outside, fine dining and what not. Heck, we don't even treat our maid like one - she accompanies us occasionally for movies and fine dines etc..
6. Stop being greedy and selfish - why, exactly why? Am I a saint! Arrogant and Condescending - whose talking? someone should show you a mirror! Stop sermoning others on moral values - when you seem bankrupt yourself - it doesn't suit your online behavior - I like your wit and humor - keep the entertainment on - All the best!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 5:27 pm

major tl;dr