Singapore Expats

question au pair

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
vlescaut

question au pair

Post by vlescaut » Sun, 14 Feb 2016 1:50 am

hello we are moving to Singapore and would like to know if it is legal to recruit an au pair from our home country? or from another country? we are currently in the uae and it is not possible to sponsor the visa for an au pair in the uae. however i would like to understand if this would be an option in Singapore and i dont seem to find the answer on the internet... thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: question au pair

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:29 pm

vlescaut wrote:hello we are moving to Singapore and would like to know if it is legal to recruit an au pair from our home country? or from another country? we are currently in the uae and it is not possible to sponsor the visa for an au pair in the uae. however i would like to understand if this would be an option in Singapore and i dont seem to find the answer on the internet... thanks
Mom has identified "source countries" for nannies, and they are Indonesia, Philippines, Myanmar and the likes.

Where is your nanny from ?

You will need to engage an agency who will be able to request MOM for exception, if your nanny is not from one of the designated source country.

It's all about balancing social fabric and such, hence the designated countries. Sort of social engineering based on past experience.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: question au pair

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 14 Feb 2016 3:02 pm

MoM offers a Work Holiday Program that can allow an au pair (with one of the designated nationalities, and no older than age 25, and with the required university background) to continue working for you in Singapore for up to 6 months. That might be a viable, temporary alternative if the Foreign Domestic Worker path is not available.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 14 Feb 2016 5:42 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:MoM offers a Work Holiday Program that can allow an au pair (with one of the designated nationalities, and no older than age 25, and with the required university background) to continue working for you in Singapore for up to 6 months
I am not that well read like you, but from what I thought I knew, WHP only applies to professional placement- i.e. office jobs.

Do you know anybody who got a WHP for an au pair ? Or know any agency who has processed a WHP for an au pair ? I am not saying no, but I never heard of any agency using WHP for a nanny / au pair.

Back to OP :

Source countries etc.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... ligibility

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 14 Feb 2016 8:31 pm

Hard to imagine any parent who really wants the best for their kids would like to see an au pair changing every few months. Also, most of the parents prefer somebody more experience than what sub-25yo range can offer.

I believe the only viable alternative, if FDW route is not available, is to hire a professional nanny. When we were looking around 4y plus ago to have a trained professional nanny for our kid, some agencies offered to bring over such a nanny from the UK. Of course it would cost two arms and 3 legs, but the option was there.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 14 Feb 2016 9:16 pm

ecureilx wrote:I am not that well read like you, but from what I thought I knew, WHP only applies to professional placement- i.e. office jobs.
No. Quoting MoM, "You are not restricted to specific types of work."

An agency would not use the Work Holiday Programme for an au pair. I'm simply describing another possible option if the original poster has an au pair who would be eligible for the WHP and who would like to accompany the family to Singapore to continue working for up to 6 months, for transition purposes for example. The WHP is not an option past that.

vlescaut

Post by vlescaut » Sun, 14 Feb 2016 10:00 pm

Thank you all.... agree the two arms and three legs might not be an option.... I will post if I find a solution because indeed every 6 months is not ideal...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 14 Feb 2016 10:45 pm

What is the country you would like to get the maid from? It may be easier to justify to MoM if this is a country of no official language of Singapore, e.g. France. You will likely still need an agency to be a formal employer (the au pair probably would need to be employed under a work pass), but then your justification could be that you wanted your child to be exposed to a native speaker of the language (here French), if the case of course. It may be cheaper than getting a professional nanny with a degree from the UK. Perhaps it would be enough to have a fresh grad teacher, but still the cost would be much higher comparing to a standard domestic worker or even a local Singaporean nanny.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Feb 2016 12:29 am

ecureilx wrote: I am not that well read like you, but from what I thought I knew, WHP only applies to professional placement- i.e. office jobs.

Do you know anybody who got a WHP for an au pair ? Or know any agency who has processed a WHP for an au pair ? I am not saying no, but I never heard of any agency using WHP for a nanny / au pair.
Half (if not more) of the young waiter/waitresses of the Caucasian flavour down in the clubs/restaurants on the quays are here on WHPs. Definitely NOT office types jobs.

But having said that, about the only way one is going to get a au pair of the Caucasian flavour here is going to be the unmarried female PR child here as they don't need a work permit and they don't have to give up their PR as long as they are living at home with the parents. I have no anectodal evidence of any working on a WHP but I do know of some in years gone by who fit the 21 year old single female of PR parents. Not sayin' you can't but I've no evidence of it every having happened, but I supposed it's possible.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Feb 2016 4:27 am

My business partner had an au pair for his daughter. She was Swedish and fluent in multiple languages. He said that it was very unusual but he was granted an au pair at the time because:

a) He was a single parent
b) He needed someone who could teach his daughter French
c) He was the MD of a company employing 250 Singaporeans

I asked him about this. He said the only chance you have is to "make if about the child". Otherwise, all other rules apply.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 15 Feb 2016 5:56 am

x9200 wrote:Hard to imagine any parent who really wants the best for their kids would like to see an au pair changing every few months. Also, most of the parents prefer somebody more experience than what sub-25yo range can offer.

I believe the only viable alternative, if FDW route is not available, is to hire a professional nanny. When we were looking around 4y plus ago to have a trained professional nanny for our kid, some agencies offered to bring over such a nanny from the UK. Of course it would cost two arms and 3 legs, but the option was there.
Actually, many of the aupairs coming to work in the USA will fall into that young age category. I think it has a lot to do with their background. If she is already a child educator in her home country, she can make an excellent care giver. I had an opportunity to hire one from northern Europe, when her tenure was up with another employer. And also, it was relatively affordable , around $600 per month. There are restrictions, like 40 hours (??) per week. Would be difficult if both parents are working full time since full time job means at least 40 hours at work and then you got to factor in the commute time.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 15 Feb 2016 7:24 am

No doubt young adults can be excellent educators or child companions, but I have some reservation if this is combined with some typical (esp. for a very young kid) "maintenance" work. Also, it is IMHO a different story if this is a short term vs longer term employment. For the later, it is manageable I believe (i actually even suggested it in the other post), but for a short period I wouldn't like it. $600 a month? I don't believe this is a long term employment. Probably adhoc holiday jobs to practice English?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 15 Feb 2016 8:16 am

I might have misquoted by a bit since it was many moons ago but here goes. Not sure what most of their motivations are but this aupair speaks excellent English and is a school teacher back home. Me and her got together for kids playdates and I had seen her in action. She just wanted to extend her stay in the USA.

http://www.aupairinamerica.com/fees/

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 15 Feb 2016 8:20 am

Seems like they can't be hired for the long time (?)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 15 Feb 2016 8:29 am

Hmm, interesting. Thanks earthfriendly. Still hard to believe for any citizen of a (so called) developed country this could be considered as a real job. From the profiles, it looks also visiting the country may be a reason, and perhaps getting some extra, hands-on experience if they are educated in this area.