Singapore Expats

Everyone I know is leaving or already left

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Everyone I know is leaving or already left

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 11:00 am

earthfriendly wrote:Oh no, with the lower expat population, will that make you feel more isolated? And lonely?
I am quite isolated from "expats" anyway so no change for me , thanks for the concern though O:)
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 1:24 pm

Bout the closest I get to expats is our occasional Eagles gatherings. Otherwise, I'm normally surrounded by local. Even my work place is 99.3% local/regional types. No big deal.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 1:40 pm

In my case usually surrounded by idiots. I don't segregate based on nationality. :D
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 1:48 pm

^^^^^THIS!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Edroche
Regular
Regular

Post by Edroche » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 2:46 pm

I've also seen this quite a lot, particularly in the past year with Aussies and British leaving. Mainly due to cost of educating the kids then rent. In my 10th year here. PR, married to local, own HDB. I’ll be here for the long term or as long as the dollars work out primarily because it is still the best alternative for us when it comes to raising a family. Just couldn’t afford it ‘back home’. Having said that, it does come at a big price - living in an adolescent society that is dominated by a culture that generally doesn't integrate well with other cultures.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 3:19 pm

Spot on Ed. Even the extended family fits the adolescent society parameters as well, don't it! LOL

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:53 am

Article related to drop in rental prices:

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/shift ... ector.html

I just looked at some ads in PGuru site, for Yishun, prices there are now quoting at $1600 for 2 bd HDB. This is like back to the good old times of 2009-2010.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 1:02 pm

Bloomberg - Tenants Rule as Singapore's Home, Office and Retail Rents Drop http://bloom.bg/1r33LXd

Best time to be a tenant in Singapore.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 1:27 pm

Wd40 wrote:Bloomberg - Tenants Rule as Singapore's Home, Office and Retail Rents Drop http://bloom.bg/1r33LXd

Good article and agree, but it is still much more expensive here than a lot of other places with less reasons to stay here any longer every day.

Am realizing this the more I speak with those in the States, what they get to live in houses for the money I spend on someone else's apartment. And a stronger job market there.

It's also a case to too little too late. Those who would have benefited and perhaps stayed on longer, have left or are planning to. As the title of this thread says.

Just found out yesterday yet another close mate is leaving, which came as a shock as that means my original group will all be gone within this year.

Including me, the way things are panning out.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: RE: Re: Everyone I know is leaving or already left

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 1:51 pm

Brah wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Bloomberg - Tenants Rule as Singapore's Home, Office and Retail Rents Drop http://bloom.bg/1r33LXd

Good article and agree, but it is still much more expensive here than a lot of other places with less reasons to stay here any longer every day.

Am realizing this the more I speak with those in the States, what they get to live in houses for the money I spend on someone else's apartment. And a stronger job market there.

It's also a case to too little too late. Those who would have benefited and perhaps stayed on longer, have left or are planning to. As the title of this thread says.

Just found out yesterday yet another close mate is leaving, which came as a shock as that means my original group will all be gone within this year.

Including me, the way things are panning out.
Yes, I just read from another forum that in Austin Texas you can buy a house for 400K. The rental yield is 8% whereas mortgage rate is 4-6%. So it is cheaper and better to buy there for your own stay or to rent out.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 7:25 pm

Interesting article about immigration in Malaysia.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2 ... ation-mess

I didnt know Malaysia is the largest net importer of labour in Asia. I would have imagined there is an exodus of minorities from Malaysia, with the kind of policies they have.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Re: RE: Re: Everyone I know is leaving or already left

Post by maneo » Sat, 23 Apr 2016 2:27 am

Wd40 wrote:Yes, I just read from another forum that in Austin Texas you can buy a house for 400K. The rental yield is 8% whereas mortgage rate is 4-6%. So it is cheaper and better to buy there for your own stay or to rent out.

That's a bit high for Austin, unless you're talking about the ritzier districts like Leander or Marble Falls.
The median price for Austin has increased a bit the past few years, but it is currently only about $280K (~S$380K).
On a per sq.ft. basis that's equivalent to about S$200-300/sq.ft. for landed propertу.
That's quite cheap compared to SG, but it is smack in the middle of Texas.
At least the relatively high rental yields offset the high mortgage rates there in the US.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 23 Apr 2016 7:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Bout the closest I get to expats is our occasional Eagles gatherings. Otherwise, I'm normally surrounded by local. Even my work place is 99.3% local/regional types. No big deal.
The Masterpro outlet in your office building seems to have 3 kinds of customers: local tradesmen, Caucasian expats and local DIY guys (smallest fraction), what is fanny to observe in this very local place, but not really that surprising.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Apr 2016 8:54 am

There are a number of us Caucasians working in the building. I use it fairly regularly. In fact about two weeks ago I bought three pairs of F-type Bessey bar clamps of varying sizes/lengths. They are directly below my office (but 4 floors down).

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Sat, 23 Apr 2016 11:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:There are a number of us Caucasians working in the building. I use it fairly regularly. In fact about two weeks ago I bought three pairs of F-type Bessey bar clamps of varying sizes/lengths. They are directly below my office (but 4 floors down).
Where do you work , there are 3 Masterpro places around me in Ubi.
Life is short, paddle harder!!