Singapore Expats

Everyone I know is leaving or already left

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: RE: Re: Everyone I know is leaving or already left

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 27 Mar 2017 8:47 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wd40 wrote:To me Malaysia looks increasingly interesting as Singapore doesnt want to give me PR. I was looking at MM2H, but it doesnt allow you to work. How easy is it to get a work visa in Malaysia and then convert it to PR -> Citizenship? Ideally I would like to keep my money offshore in Singapore and gain citizenship in Malaysia. This is perfect because both Malaysia and Singapore dont tax passive income and Malaysia has low cost of living. India is increasingly becoming draconian these days.
MY income tax is high and they hate Indians (openly).
Damn!

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Everyone I know is leaving or already left

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 27 Mar 2017 9:15 pm

WD, have you ever considered Indonesia?

I mean, obviously, it depends where in Indonesia, but this also applies to Malaysia.

Indonesia may not be my first choice at the moment, sure, but I do see it as a very serious contender, in perhaps 10+ years.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Mar 2017 9:41 pm

WD40 - your options are quite narrow: Canada/Australia/USA/UK/NZ/South Africa (high tax rates). If you speak German or French it can widen up to Europe via Germany and France and some screwball Francophone territories . You could add Ireland and Cyrpus if you want to 'buy' PR there (Cyprus is actually quite cheap). Remember the biggest headache now for a migrant is getting into whatever retirement scheme those countries run - in Australia you need 35 years of RESIDENCE post 16 to qualify for 100% pension at 67+.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Mar 2017 9:42 pm

Max Headroom wrote:WD, have you ever considered Indonesia?

I mean, obviously, it depends where in Indonesia, but this also applies to Malaysia.

Indonesia may not be my first choice at the moment, sure, but I do see it as a very serious contender, in perhaps 10+ years.
Lots of indians living there and in Manilla on bullshit residency visas... it can be done.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 27 Mar 2017 10:04 pm

PNGMK wrote: Lots of indians living there and in Manilla on bullshit residency visas... it can be done.
recently I met a couple of Indians holding Indonesian passport :D

As for PH, those of Indian descent are there. Then the new transfers in BPO do work on Work passes ... how safe Is the pass ?

When an Indian IT guy was nearly run over during A road rage incident, all caught on another car's camera, he refused to even identify himself, and even when there were monetary offers to replace his wrecked motorbike, he refused all of it, saying he's just a guest. Well trained :D

Though occasionally I do see notices of Naturalization of people of Indian origin. And the subsequent award of citizenship notice.

Per Philippines law, all work passes, citizenship applications get published in the local newspaper before moving up the approval process.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 27 Mar 2017 10:52 pm

Malaysia attracts me because of sizeable Indian population and also lots of cheap Air Asia flights to India. I could visit India every month. So Malaysia and Singapore are both as close as it gets to live outside of India yet not missing India. Singapore would have been perfect, I just missed the bus of PR by couple of years.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 28 Mar 2017 10:10 am

Wd40 wrote:To me Malaysia looks increasingly interesting as Singapore doesnt want to give me PR. I was looking at MM2H, but it doesnt allow you to work. How easy is it to get a work visa in Malaysia and then convert it to PR -> Citizenship? Ideally I would like to keep my money offshore in Singapore and gain citizenship in Malaysia. This is perfect because both Malaysia and Singapore dont tax passive income and Malaysia has low cost of living. India is increasingly becoming draconian these days.
Ugh! no, and why would you even want to go there?
Or the other thing you can do is look at working in the middle east for a few years. Dubai/Abu Dhabi is seriously not bad options if you ask me.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 28 Mar 2017 10:32 am

Batam is a special economic zone and is one of the few places that foreigners can buy landed property in Asia. Could be base. (It's a while since I read that and things change)

Malaysia has a retirement visa which allows a foreigner to buy property and import a car tax free. Have to spend a minimum amount on the property and it can vary depending on location. I believe the minimum is higher in Penang, for example. Some parts are very nice, some of the islands for example.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:00 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Ugh! no, and why would you even want to go there?
Or the other thing you can do is look at working in the middle east for a few years. Dubai/Abu Dhabi is seriously not bad options if you ask me.
Yes this is an option to stay on a work visa in Singapore or Dubai during my working life. I have already been on it for 8 years now. Just that I will never get that "settled down" feeling. May be it's all in the mind and there is no need to settle down anywhere until retirement.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:02 am

bgd wrote:Batam is a special economic zone and is one of the few places that foreigners can buy landed property in Asia. Could be base. (It's a while since I read that and things change)
Batam is decent, but I'm thinking of places a bit more far-flung, a bit more ulu, yet with an air-link to Singapore. But yeah, Batam could be up there on my list, provided there's properties available in an agreeable part of Batam.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:20 am

bgd wrote:Batam is a special economic zone and is one of the few places that foreigners can buy landed property in Asia. Could be base. (It's a while since I read that and things change)

Malaysia has a retirement visa which allows a foreigner to buy property and import a car tax free. Have to spend a minimum amount on the property and it can vary depending on location. I believe the minimum is higher in Penang, for example. Some parts are very nice, some of the islands for example.
I (who is fortunate to escape the tar brush that whacked WD40 at birth) have considered Melaka for retirement in the grand tradition of older Singaporean based expats ... (such as Guus van Bladel - http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/d ... -work-dies). A friend who works in the OnG industry bought (wisely) an old classic Melaka villa on Heeren St 10 years ago and is fixing it up for retirement... price has gone up 5 fold but dont' let it stop others...

valleyman
Regular
Regular

Post by valleyman » Fri, 05 May 2017 10:02 am

How does everyone feel about Thailand as a retirement destination ? I love the beaches, food and nightlife and its close to Singapore. I have seen tons of senior expats in Phuket enjoying the golden years of their lives. Also, having lived in Cyprus for half a decade, I definetely have it on my radar. Although, after the collapse of their banks, I don't know if I will be able to trust the banks again.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 05 May 2017 10:35 am

You don't have to keep your money in the same place you live. Singapore is a good place to park your money and then live somewhere in southeast Asia. Thailand is a good choice.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 05 May 2017 11:28 am

I guess the problem with all of these countries is that things change. The recent clamp down on visas in Thailand has had quite a few of the long termers looking to other places. Admittedly many of these people were abusing the visa system.

Asia has a lot of possibilities but it doesn't pay to put all your eggs into a single basket, you may need to move one day.

A friend was looking at buying in Phuket but realized his investment income would cover his rental, so he never bought. Which is just as well because he's in Cambodia now.