Singapore Expats

US Passport woes... no passport for you!

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

US Passport woes... no passport for you!

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 09 Feb 2016 10:07 am

At least not if you supposedly or allegedly or mistakenly owe the IRS > $50,000.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 49534.html

You can imagine the FUBAR's this will cause.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Re: US Passport woes... no passport for you!

Post by GSM8 » Thu, 11 Feb 2016 11:21 am

Nothing wrong with revoking the passport's of tax dodgers. Its the practice of CBT (citizenship based taxation) that's FUBAR.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 11 Feb 2016 11:25 am

Actually I don't agree. An identity document is basic human right these days.

FYI I've put my plans to migrate to the USA on hold because of the CBT situation.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Thu, 11 Feb 2016 12:59 pm

Agreed, but a state driver license is also an identity document. Passports are often revoked when there is fear of flight, its not unique to US. CBT as its practiced is not an issue if you live in the US - only when a "US person" lives abroad as an expat. In fact most countries of the world (including Australia and EU) tax on worldwide income when you live there. The problem comes when you start taxing an American living in Singapore or anywhere else (subjected to local tax regime and benefit levels) by US standards.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 11 Feb 2016 1:31 pm

The other countries typically don't care about the income if an avoidance of double taxation agreement is in place and their citizens stayed in the other country for a certain period of time (typically > half a year). As far as I understand, in US not only you are taxed if your worldwide income exceeds some level, but you have to file the tax assessment papers every year regardless you actually lived in US or stayed out for many years. This seems pretty US unique.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Feb 2016 2:02 pm

Tell me about it. 33 years and counting. And, the only income that is excludable in that figure is "Earned Income". So if you have a business here, a rental property here, investments here, they are all subject to taxes at what ever the tax rate would be in the US if your Earned Income were not excluded.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 11 Feb 2016 2:33 pm

GSM8 wrote:Nothing wrong with revoking the passport's of tax dodgers. Its the practice of CBT (citizenship based taxation) that's FUBAR.
The problem is the amount of $50k is not that unreasonable highly. If you're looking to get the real scofflaws, the amount should be 5x or 10x that. Remember the IRS does nothing electronically, and all notices from them will come only via regular mail. Especially onerous when one lives overseas.

A single person making $150-200k USD in a year could be well within that estimated tax liability before deductions and exemptions are factored in. If your filing gets lost in the mail do you trust the IRS to calculate all of those for you? I don't.

That said, I err more on the side of PNGMK. I wonder if a tax dodger could makea case to apply for asylum based on being denied identity documents / basic human rights? :D

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 29 Mar 2016 3:29 pm

PNGMK wrote:An identity document is basic human right these days.
Whether it is or isn't, fortunately the United States Department of State will still continue issuing Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) to U.S. citizens who are either seriously delinquent in their child support or seriously delinquent in their taxes. ETDs are valid for one-way international travel to the United States, including airline connections.