Singapore Expats Forum

Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
yoongcy421
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 6:57 pm

Re: Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Post by yoongcy421 » Mon, 01 Oct 2018 12:34 pm

Sorry noob question but I just got my PR in August.
Looking to quickly convert to SG driving license to avoid having to take test in future when I need a car.

Do you know if they will void the malaysian license since the process is called "converting"?

jasonlel
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 3:25 am

Re: Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Post by jasonlel » Mon, 01 Oct 2018 1:19 pm

yoongcy421 wrote:Sorry noob question but I just got my PR in August.
Looking to quickly convert to SG driving license to avoid having to take test in future when I need a car.

Do you know if they will void the malaysian license since the process is called "converting"?
Once you request the conversion letter from jpj, jpj will deactivate your driving license in their system.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

yoongcy421
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 6:57 pm

Re: Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Post by yoongcy421 » Mon, 01 Oct 2018 1:25 pm

jasonlel wrote:
yoongcy421 wrote:Sorry noob question but I just got my PR in August.
Looking to quickly convert to SG driving license to avoid having to take test in future when I need a car.

Do you know if they will void the malaysian license since the process is called "converting"?
Once you request the conversion letter from jpj, jpj will deactivate your driving license in their system.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
if that's the case, does it mean that you cannot drive in Malaysia anymore?
I tried google but the verdict is half half. some say sg license can drive your private car in Malaysia some say cannot.

jasonlel
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 3:25 am

Re: Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Post by jasonlel » Mon, 01 Oct 2018 1:31 pm

yoongcy421 wrote:
jasonlel wrote:
yoongcy421 wrote:Sorry noob question but I just got my PR in August.
Looking to quickly convert to SG driving license to avoid having to take test in future when I need a car.

Do you know if they will void the malaysian license since the process is called "converting"?
Once you request the conversion letter from jpj, jpj will deactivate your driving license in their system.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
if that's the case, does it mean that you cannot drive in Malaysia anymore?
I tried google but the verdict is half half. some say sg license can drive your private car in Malaysia some say cannot.
As of today's law, Malaysian holding a valid sg license can drive both sg n malaysia car in Malaysia.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

honeycarey
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 5:41 pm

Re: Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Post by honeycarey » Sat, 24 Nov 2018 4:43 pm

jasonlel wrote:
yoongcy421 wrote:
jasonlel wrote:Once you request the conversion letter from jpj, jpj will deactivate your driving license in their system.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
if that's the case, does it mean that you cannot drive in Malaysia anymore?
I tried google but the verdict is half half. some say sg license can drive your private car in Malaysia some say cannot.
As of today's law, Malaysian holding a valid sg license can drive both sg n malaysia car in Malaysia.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
Hi, I'm new here. I'm a Singapore PR (Malaysian) and I just converted my driving licence.
I read some forums that Malaysians who converted to SG licence can no longer drive MY cars in MY because their MY license will be deactivated as soon as we get the extract letters from JPJ.

Based on your reply, is it confirmed that we can use our SG licence in MY as well?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6508
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 25 Nov 2018 10:32 am

honeycarey wrote:
jasonlel wrote:
yoongcy421 wrote: if that's the case, does it mean that you cannot drive in Malaysia anymore?
I tried google but the verdict is half half. some say sg license can drive your private car in Malaysia some say cannot.
As of today's law, Malaysian holding a valid sg license can drive both sg n malaysia car in Malaysia.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
Hi, I'm new here. I'm a Singapore PR (Malaysian) and I just converted my driving licence.
I read some forums that Malaysians who converted to SG licence can no longer drive MY cars in MY because their MY license will be deactivated as soon as we get the extract letters from JPJ.

Based on your reply, is it confirmed that we can use our SG licence in MY as well?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The corrupt JPJ will use any excuse to ask for coffee money so it doesn't matter what the shitty MY law says.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
mikew
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:27 pm
Location: Singapore, Australia, Andorra (mainly - it's complicated!)

Re: Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Post by mikew » Wed, 19 Dec 2018 6:26 am

Does anyone know if I can swap an Australian license for Singapore driving license? Thanks in advance

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Post by The Ref » Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:28 pm

mikew wrote:Does anyone know if I can swap an Australian license for Singapore driving license? Thanks in advance
You should be able to get a Singapore license based on your Australian license and passing the Basic Theory Test (BTT).
I say should because there are some unusual situations where you could have trouble, but if you had the license before coming to Singapore you are most likely fine.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11630
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:53 pm

You don't swap. Your Singapore driving license is issued in addition to your existing license. You keep both.

User avatar
mikew
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:27 pm
Location: Singapore, Australia, Andorra (mainly - it's complicated!)

Re: Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Post by mikew » Sun, 23 Dec 2018 3:53 pm

Very helpful thank you The Ref and Strong Eagle

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Drivers Licence”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests