Singapore Expats

Citizenship Application Rejected after 2 years waiting

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Citizenship Application Rejected after 2 years waiting

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Jan 2016 11:03 am

Yeah, but SE might be too male to be pregnant. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Jan 2016 6:20 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I am too old to be pregnant.
:lol:

p.s. agree with comments above. It jars on my ear too. It's a physical condition, it isn't shared. So the 'we' is (IMO) like false empathy, or false suggestion the present physical burden is somehow shared.

I googled the term, and some hits came back. It seems it is a polarising love it/hate it term.
This article has several parts when I genuinely lol'd, example:
---
'OK hold the phones: You know what this is called? There's a term for it. It's called Basking in Reflected Glory. It's called BIRGing, OK? Look it up. It's the my-child-is-an-honor-student of pregnancy. It's where you associate yourself with winners, because you want to be a winner. You didn't win anything or do the real work of winning, and your support definitely matters (better say that one bajillion times), but it's not the same.

It's just different, OK? Don't BIRG on pregnancy. My husband also has the same kid I do, but he doesn't have stretch marks for life. He fed the baby, but he didn't nurse her from his own body thus experiencing twelve to fifteen different boob sizes a day for years (I still have no idea what size my boobs are, you guys). He cherished our child's growth and development in utero, but he didn't gain any weight, cry more than once about the exact temperature of a meatloaf, rock 12 hours of induced contractions without pain meds or piss himself whenever he sneezed, get unimaginably painful ear zits, wake up for months with wicked heartburn, or experience PPD-lite, the fro-yo to PPD's ice cream.

Support is great, but let's not mince undercooked meat here. Saying "we're pregnant" overshadows that there is a person doing life-threatening, body-changing work right beside you that is not you, work that you can't feel, that you probably can't understand, and that has real freak consequences for only that body directly, and you indirectly. You care a lot, you're affected, you're invested, but so how about caring by constantly acknowledging the differentness of your woman's experience and risk in pregnancy? THAT IS SUPPORT, GUY.'

http://jezebel.com/mila-kunis-is-right- ... 1590564625
-----

and a similarly amusing rant is ->
'Hate of the week: We're pregnant'
http://hubpages.com/family/Hate-Of-The- ... e-Pregnant
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

zinc32

Post by zinc32 » Fri, 05 Feb 2016 1:51 pm

Interesting to see how a topic becomes a discussion of English language Correction , sidelining the main issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Feb 2016 9:23 pm

We take great pride in being able to do that successfully. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 05 Feb 2016 10:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:We take great pride in being able to do that successfully. ;-)
I'd like to suggest an amendment to that statement. You might have usefully added 'especially on Fridays' :lol: :wink: :roll:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Feb 2016 7:01 am

:lol: :lol: :devil:

SaraAbdul

Post by SaraAbdul » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 5:27 pm

wow you guys, lots of discussion here =)
Thank you from me.

Sara.