Singapore Expats

Issues with neighbor tenant in CBD condo - what options do I have?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
cyberceline

Issues with neighbor tenant in CBD condo - what options do I have?

Post by cyberceline » Wed, 27 Jan 2016 1:27 pm

Dear all,

Wanted to get your thoughts on the following issue.

I am living in a waterfront CBD condo at Raffles Place since several years, volatility here with tenants is high, id say every year I am getting a new neighbor since many just stay on 1-2 year leases. There my issue:

Mid January; I started to notice an extreme strong cat poop & pee smell coming from my new neighbors unit (moved in mid Jan) and the smell is getting into my unit. The smell of that animal / cat poop & pee is so extremely strong on the public corridor in front of 4 units (1 unit is my neighbor where the issue comes from, the other unit is where I am renting, the other 2 units on the floor are empty at the moment) that it reaches into my unit and can only be minimized with strong air purifiers. I thick towel which I have put in front of my door to block the airflow as good as possible does not help much.

(I was on business trip for a few days, and able to escape the situation - hence a few days no followup)

late January; I have written a letter where I kindly asked my neighbor to get his cats properly under control and slipped it below my neighbors door. Letter did not change anything as the tenant did not take control of his terrible animal issue.

late January; I have asked several friends to come over and check if I am overly sensitive and they all confirmed that the smell outside of the corridor as well as inside my unit is unacceptable. By coincidence I have also met another tenant of my floor, he is living all the way on the other side of the emergency stair case where it can’t be smelled, asked him to come over, also he confirmed that this is not acceptable and that he his happy not living near my neighbor. Also I have informed the Agent of my landlord about the ongoing issue by e-mail.

late January (this week); I have visited the Management Office and filed my complaint and submitted a copy of the letter I slipped below my neighbors door. I was told that the Management Office will look into it and that I will call me asap.

late January (today); I have visited the Management Office again to check on the status, as I have not received any call and the issue is still ongoing, nothing changed.

What are my options? Management acknowledges the issue and have visited my unit and the public corridor but they do not seem pushy enough against the owner and the tenant. Do I have the option to break my lease if Management is not taking any proper action? Would it be on me to take matter into my own hands and call police over?

I feel like totally lost since my agent is not in the propery business anymore, hence I always speak to the landlords agent directly but he is obviously speaking in landlords interest. Further the management doesnt seem to be too comfortable to get down to the bottom of the issue. What options do I have to increase pressure to get this solved? Stop paying rent till thats solved?

Search By

x9200

Re: Issues with neighbor tenant in CBD condo - what options do I have?

Post by x9200 » Wed, 27 Jan 2016 2:15 pm

Cyberfeline, firstly, don't call the police. It has nothing to do with them.
Personally I don't think the issue is sufficiently severe to break up the lease but it is severe enough to demand your rent adjustment. You could go this way sending the LL an official later and threatening him you are going to take the issue to the court if the problem persists. This should hopefully convince the LL to take some action with the management.

But before doing it, I would give NEA and AVA a call. Perhaps they could help. Strong smell could mean that the pet owner does not maintain the cat properly with possible consequences related to public health (pests like flies, epidemic issues etc etc.).

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 27 Jan 2016 8:33 pm

Pee on the neighbors door
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 27 Jan 2016 10:38 pm

Can you fit draught-excluder around the door? It would seem a simple remedy.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Jan 2016 8:36 am

JR8 wrote:Can you fit draught-excluder around the door? It would seem a simple remedy.
Or positively pressurise your apartment (my HVAC basics at play :P )

With that, you can ensure nothing seeps in from the corridor.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:48 pm

I'd also call in the SPCA (Society of prevention of cruelty to animals). I believe they may have some legislative powers where they can remove the animals if they are being abused (it sounds as though they are being left alone for very long periods of time).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Jan 2016 2:16 pm

PNGMK wrote:I'd also call in the SPCA (Society of prevention of cruelty to animals). I believe they may have some legislative powers where they can remove the animals if they are being abused (it sounds as though they are being left alone for very long periods of time).
SPCA has been armed with new powers, including breaking doors if needed, in the presence of the cops though.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 28 Jan 2016 2:31 pm

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I'd also call in the SPCA (Society of prevention of cruelty to animals). I believe they may have some legislative powers where they can remove the animals if they are being abused (it sounds as though they are being left alone for very long periods of time).
SPCA has been armed with new powers, including breaking doors if needed, in the presence of the cops though.
Well there you are. OP has a good test case.

cyberceline

Post by cyberceline » Tue, 02 Feb 2016 6:14 pm

thanks everyone for their inputs. I was able to convince Management to contact the owner. However the owner of the unit is not even living in Singapore (foreign investor), difficult case. I will probably take the route over SPCA, NEA, AVA the soonest. Will post soon the outcome!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 02 Feb 2016 10:06 pm

Can't the MO speak to the tenant directly?
Places we've rented we've had to register with the MO at the start of a tenancy. That's enabled us to book facilities, register to get a space in the car-park and access, get condo access cards, and so on. More than that the MO want to know who is living in each unit, that the Tenancy Agreement is legitimate and so on. The response you received is akin to them not caring who lives there, nor how residents behave. That a tenant answers only to the landlord and not the MO. That doesn't sound right to me.

But if you get one of the orgs you mention onto your case, I suspect you'll get more focus from the MO and perhaps the owner too.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 12 Jun 2016 10:01 am

Cyberfeline, could you post a sit rep please. I'm keen to know if you got any traction with the authorities mentioned.

Thanks.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 12 Jun 2016 2:21 pm

Another taker who never comes back to help us work out what actually contributes and what doesn't? I hope not.

Sunrisesingapore

Post by Sunrisesingapore » Sun, 24 Jul 2016 9:39 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Pee on the neighbors door
Or worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk