Singapore Expats

WHP after graduation

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
patur

WHP after graduation

Post by patur » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 5:55 pm

Hi everyone,

sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but I just could not found anything similar.

I wanted to know, am I still eligible for Work Holiday Pass after I finish my Bachelors degree later this year? Official pages does not really answer this question, while there really is no number I could call and ask.

P.S. I fulfil all other criteria. I actually already held WHP in the past.

Thanks!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: WHP after graduation

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 6:45 pm

Are you under 25

"If you have held a Work Holiday Pass before, you can only reapply for another Work Holiday Pass after 12 months from the day you last held the pass."

When was the last time you had a WHP
Life is short, paddle harder!!

patur

Post by patur » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 7:17 pm

[quote="Barnsley"]Are you under 25

"If you have held a Work Holiday Pass before, you can only reapply for another Work Holiday Pass after 12 months from the day you last held the pass."

When was the last time you had a WHP[/quote]

Hi Barnsley,

I am 23 and will be eligible to reapply at the end of May (finished the previous internship in SIngapore 8 months ago), while my graduation date is 31st of July.
The problem is that I was just offered an attractive, 6-month position in London until the end of July. However, I want to move to SG by the end of the summer and know it would be a lot easier, if I could start with WHP instead of E-pass. If I become ineligible for WHP after graduation, I would try to negotiate a shorter contract.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 8:24 pm

While you could conceivably get another WHP, I seriously doubt that you would be able to get an E pass of any sort at any rate as you are a fresher and the employer would be in the unenviable position of trying to justify hiring a fresher without sufficient experience when there are sufficient Singaporean freshers here in Singapore who could fit the bill. Therefore your chances of success there are virtually nil, WHP or not. But there is nothing stopping you from trying. If you don't try the answer is no. If you do try you have a 20% chance (maybe) of a yes.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 8:24 pm

Oh, and good luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

patur

Post by patur » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 9:06 pm

Hi sundaymorningstaple,

I know that fresh graduates do not have high chances of being hired. That is why I devised a "strategy".

The companies I am interested do not explicitly say they don't hire foreign graduates and even offer some 6-month positions that require limited experience. Moreover, I contacted a recruiter from one of these companies and she said I could get a E-pass with related internship experience (my current job/internship is kind of related to the industry). My idea is to get the WHP and do another internship/fixed-term job, hoping that they would be willing to offer another position and sponsor my visa afterwards. Although it cannot guarantee anything, I think it would somewhat increase my chances of getting a normal work visa a little bit later. [u]The question remains, can I get WHP after graduation?[/u] Also, I have some other skills that should look nice on my resume i.e. being fluent in Mandarin (nothing special in SG, but should help me at least a little bit)

Anyways, thanks for nice wishes :) I will definitely try, just looking for the best option ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 9:23 pm

Patur, this is not your potential employer to decide whether you get the E-pass or not. Even if they are mega-happy to hire you, this is MOM that will decide and as explained by the other poster MOM doesn't favour fresh grads. I doubt too that even 1y of experience on WHP is going to change anything unless your profession is truly unique for Singapore. BTW, what is it?

As of your main question
http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... ligibility

it clearly mentions both graduates and undergraduates are eligible as long as the other requirement are fulfilled.

patur

Post by patur » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 10:48 pm

[quote="x9200"]Patur, this is not your potential employer to decide whether you get the E-pass or not. Even if they are mega-happy to hire you, this is MOM that will decide and as explained by the other poster MOM doesn't favour fresh grads. I doubt too that even 1y of experience on WHP is going to change anything unless your profession is truly unique for Singapore. BTW, what is it?

As of your main question
http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... ligibility

it clearly mentions both graduates and undergraduates are eligible as long as the other requirement are fulfilled.[/quote]

I know the procedures, I know it's MOM, who makes a final decision on case-by-case basis. I know it is not easy, but it also is not impossible. I remembered the Self-Assessment Tool indicated I am quite likely to get the E-pass (I am fully aware it is just assumption and proves nothing).
However, I also know certain things can strengthen my application. Might as well try them.
MOM page says: "[i]For undergraduates: you have been a resident and a full-time student of the university for at least 3 months before applying for the pass.[/i]". It does not answer about those who already have an undergraduate degree.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 10:57 pm

The Self-Assessment Tool is to indicate whether you qualify, not whether you are quite likely to get the pass. If you failed with the tool it would mean - zero chances. If you pass, it just mean you are likely to qualify to be considered and nothing more than this. Anyway, seems you already made up your mind so good luck from me too.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 26 Jan 2016 7:19 am

patur wrote:The problem is that I was just offered an attractive, 6-month position in London until the end of July.
That's a very happy problem to have! So why not take that attractive position and, if you're still interested in Singapore, apply for a WHP after a couple months or so? You'll still meet the age and other qualifications, and (as it happens) you'll also be that much farther ahead in acquiring professional skills and experience that might qualify you for an Employment Pass.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 26 Jan 2016 5:15 pm

I agree with BBC. Getting international experience on your CV at your age would (IMO) be a major bonus. That's because working in SG often involves dealing with international branches/clients/markets and SGns are (again IMO) relatively parochial. So at that age they don't have that experience and 'world-view'. I.e. If they ever post abroad they don't tend to do it until they are materially older and more senior.

There's also the phenomenon of 'if you were good enough for them, you're likely good enough for us'. I.e. if you survived an internship at a reputable/respected company and come out of it with a decent reference you are to an extent a proven candidate. At least vs a metaphorical pimped up kit-car sitting in the workshop stuffed full of qualifications and promise, that has yet to taken out onto the track.

-- The above is based upon my experience of hiring grads into our intern programme [blue-chip banking/finance]. And then in parallel hiring 'juniors' into our department. I.e. I've read 100s of 'fresh grad' resumes and know what stands out for me as suggesting potential amongst the candidates.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 26 Jan 2016 7:15 pm

I was reading the news and came upon the linked article. Re: landing job interviews. Thought it might prove thought provoking for anyone in those shoes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... idate.html

'The first 12 words you say in an interview that can land (or lose) you the job
First 12 words you say when you walk in could make or break your chances
Small talk shapes employers' first impressions of candidates, research finds'

[continues]
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard