Singapore Expats

Seeking Advice - 21 yr old NS Defaulter Visiting Singapore

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Seeking Advice - 21 yr old NS Defaulter Visiting Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 3:10 pm

But, and here's the kicker. The passport, deed poll or not, will still show the place of birth as Singapore. So, a cursory check would still be done using the gender and DOB and race as they are always looking for NS deserters. I wonder how many males there would be, born in Singapore on that day, who's name would be kicked out of the dbase as not showing up as having done NS, or deceased? Then comes the further questioning. Did the parents also do deed polls? etc., etc.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

TravellingTraveller

Post by TravellingTraveller » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 3:40 pm

x9200 wrote:Because close to 12% of the NZ population is Asian, or even better, "only" 75% is European.
BTW, he didn't say he was Chinese, but regardless I don't think they would scan anybody just on that basis.
As it turns out, I AM Chinese :-"

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 3:46 pm

TravellingTraveller wrote:
x9200 wrote:Because close to 12% of the NZ population is Asian, or even better, "only" 75% is European.
BTW, he didn't say he was Chinese, but regardless I don't think they would scan anybody just on that basis.
I thought so too, but the fact is you didn't mention it.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Seeking Advice - 21 yr old NS Defaulter Visiting Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 4:39 pm

TravellingTraveller wrote:
I was thinking also based on place of birth being Singapore, the chances for additional screening would have increased :)

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Fri, 22 Jan 2016 2:43 pm

Isn't the NRIC numbers similar to OP's NZ passport details?
Don't they just embed a chip as wel as thumb print on it for ease of travel etc?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 22 Jan 2016 6:02 pm

Primrose Hill wrote:Isn't the NRIC numbers similar to OP's NZ passport details?
Don't they just embed a chip as wel as thumb print on it for ease of travel etc?
NO. there is no IC in NZ only H18ID but not compulsory more for those that do not have a driving licence as a form of identification
THE NZ passport does not corrrespond to any NRIC sequence whatsoever . Yes it is embedded chip with many new features.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Fri, 22 Jan 2016 7:18 pm

No MS you misunderstand me. My NRIC number corresponds to my passport in which I used to apply for PR. The same for my husband's and daughter's NRICs.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 7:43 am

Primrose Hill wrote:No MS you misunderstand me. My NRIC number corresponds to my passport in which I used to apply for PR. The same for my husband's and daughter's NRICs.
The link to the post JR8 made separately.

Do look up the comments, most are not supporting the kid or his father.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7618300 ... -and-fines

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 8:04 am

Not a lot of sympathy from his fellow kiwis. Some of the points he raises are valid (i.e. difficulties with accomodation) but others are BS - i.e. "Not chinese".
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 8:44 am

PNGMK wrote:Not a lot of sympathy from his fellow kiwis. Some of the points he raises are valid (i.e. difficulties with accomodation) but others are BS - i.e. "Not chinese".
But I still like the guy who was wondering who's side the kid will fight if Singapore invades NZ :D and a reply - he will have to fight himself :p

The sense of humour is running riot there ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 8:48 am

So if this NZ guy decides to serve and finds himself living in a tent in ECP, what is going to happen next? Or is the allowance not enough for a reasonable living but still manageable? How much is it?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 8:55 am

x9200 wrote:So if this NZ guy decides to serve and finds himself living in a tent in ECP, what is going to happen next? Or is the allowance not enough for a reasonable living but still manageable? How much is it?
From what I know, the first 6 months will be in camp. The next 18 months may be in camp or not, depending on which vocation they place him.

If he ends up in Civil Defense or Police, it will be like a 2 year holiday break :p

The allowance is peanuts, to be honest. But thats' not an excuse to avoid NS, in my opinion. After all, the father being a NZDF guy should know that.

Or maybe the father's age is catching up and he has mellowed.

And more than one poster pointed out that the father + mother had the choice of renouncing SG Passport before the age of 12, and if they kept it, they knew the repercussion and still wanted to have the cake and eat it too.

TravellingTraveller

Post by TravellingTraveller » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 4:26 pm

So, technically, if I renounce my Singapore citizenship and enter Singapore with a New Zealand passport with a tourist visa, there should be no problem, right?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 4:38 pm

No. Technically, you cannot renounce your Singapore citizenship until you finish your NS. Now here's the kicker. If you don't turn up/turn yourself in, before reaching the age of 22 you will not only be a NS defaulter, but you will also be in violation of Singapore constitutional law in as much as you will be holding two citizenships after reaching the age of majority. Double jeopardy. And it won't be too long before you may well be able to be picked up while in the transit lounge here if they start "pre"viewing the passenger lists looking for likely runners. (I'm not sure at this stage how much information is transmitted on a flight manifest (squirrel, you should know this?) but with the new smart passports I reckon it wont be long before the whole passport details could be transmitted digitally in an electronic flight manifest. Then they would only have to feed it into and sql query against the combined databases and eureka! your name pops up for further questioning upon arrival. Gamble if you will. Good luck. Hopefully you don't get stranded here and have to clear immigration due to a cancelled flight or something.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 5:16 pm

I checked CAAS's Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP). At least as of January, 2015 (the most current update I could find in the relevant section), scheduled airlines must provide full passenger manifests unless nobody on the plane will be embarking or disembarking in Singapore. The manifests must be in ICAO Annex 9 format. From what I can tell ICAO Annex 9 doesn't require much data, but the airlines must provide some data to Singapore's authorities.