Singapore Expats

Seeking Advice - 21 yr old NS Defaulter Visiting Singapore

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
TravellingTraveller

Seeking Advice - 21 yr old NS Defaulter Visiting Singapore

Post by TravellingTraveller » Wed, 20 Jan 2016 7:55 am

Hi guys,

I've scoured the internet trying to find an answer but I have been unable to find one and I figured that you guys here might be able to help me.

I am 21 years old, I was born in Singapore and moved to New Zealand when I was 7, I now have a NZ citizenship.
I returned to Singapore a few years ago to get an IC but in the end, chose to complete my NZ university education rather than do NS.
I want to return to Singapore to visit my aging great grandmother, but I am unsure whether or not I'll be caught and charged for not serving NS.

I'll be using my NZ passport to return, but the name on my passport is the same as my Singapore one (which has expired) as well as it listing Singapore as my place of birth.
Last edited by TravellingTraveller on Thu, 21 Jan 2016 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Re: Seeking Advice - 21 yr old NS Defaulter Visiting Singapore

Post by nakatago » Wed, 20 Jan 2016 7:58 am

TravellingTraveller wrote:Hi guys,

I've scoured the internet trying to find an answer but I have been unable to find one and I figured that you guys here might be able to help me.

I am 21 years old, I was born in Singapore and moved to New Zealand when I was 7, I now have a NZ citizenship.
I returned to Singapore a few years ago to get an IC but in the end, chose to complete my NZ university education rather than do NS.
I want to return to Singapore to visit my aging great grandmother, but I am unsure whether or not I'll be caught and charged for not serving NS.

I'll be using my NZ passport to return, but the name on my passport is the same as my Singapore one (which has expired) as well as it listing Singapore as my place of birth.
Quoting for posterity. That said, things don't look good.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:00 am

I concur as the name, dob and Place of birth are all there. Once scanned into the system, there is a good possibility of the three converging in the combined database that the government here uses. If that happens, how many male babies were born on that day of that race with that name have not yet performed their NS or have shown up in the deceased column? Good luck. I feel you might need it.

Had your parents taken any proper steps when you were removed from Singapore, e.g, letter of intent when you were 11/13?

When did your Singapore Passport expire?

Was it ever renewed? If so, was it after the age of 11/13?

Are either of your parents, who I assume are also in NZ, still retaining their Singapore Passports/Citizenship? If yes, then you may have problems.

http://bit.ly/23dzKCY
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:09 pm

You not only need to consider the risk but the likely penalty if caught. It will time in the brig (jail) in Changi airport, followed by a military court hearing and then a compulsory NS period (20 months) with no chance to escape (your passport will be held). You'll most likely end up with a crap NS job as well unless you have some exceptional quals or certs. At completion of NS you may find you cannot leave Singapore that easily as you may be put on an exit ban until your NS obligations are completed.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

TravellingTraveller

Post by TravellingTraveller » Wed, 20 Jan 2016 1:15 pm

-sundaymorningstaple

"Had your parents taken any proper steps when you were removed from Singapore, e.g, letter of intent when you were 11/13?"

No, my family and I simply immigrated to NZ.

When did your Singapore Passport expire?

Can't find a scan of my Singapore passport, but it would have expired when I was 12, I believe that I would have had to put up the bond with the Singapore government if I had renewed my passport but I didn't. The last times that I went to Singapore (before NS), I had used my NZ passport.

Are either of your parents, who I assume are also in NZ, still retaining their Singapore Passports/Citizenship? If yes, then you may have problems."

No, both have given up their Singapore passports.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Jan 2016 5:17 pm

Then there is a very good possibility that they followed protocol by you not having a valid Singapore PP past the age of 13 or NRIC (good move there, not getting it, as you would have been well and truly screwed). As you were only 7 and both parents have given up their citizenship as well, I would say you are probably safe. Enjoy you trip. If they do pull you, I think under the circumstances, once explained there shouldn't be any problem.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

TravellingTraveller

Post by TravellingTraveller » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 4:31 am

I apologise for the confusion, but I do have my NRIC. I meant that I got it on my last trip back to Singapore, but decided against NS once I had returned to NZ.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 7:05 am

Ouch. All bets are off. Good Luck. You are going to need it. Honestly it doesn't bode well. You might escape unnoticed but only if the officer is sleeping. Personally? I'd only go as far as JB and have your Gparents come over to JB to visit you, truth be known. Let us know how you fare, if possible, before you are tossed in lockup.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 9:37 am

I am not an expert in NS matters, but I know for sure, once you got your IC, you are a property of Ministry of Defence.

Good luck to OP getting out of the mess.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 9:50 am

Damn. You're shit out of luck IMO. Also at 21 you're of prime serving age.

My recommendation if you decide to come into Singapore would be to at least change your name (by deed poll in NZ) and get a new NZ pp in that name. Also not to travel with your family into Singapore. DON'T CARRY YOUR IC WITH YOU into Singapore.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 10:07 am

PNGMK wrote:Damn. You're shit out of luck IMO. Also at 21 you're of prime serving age.

My recommendation if you decide to come into Singapore would be to at least change your name (by deed poll in NZ) and get a new NZ pp in that name. Also not to travel with your family into Singapore. DON'T CARRY YOUR IC WITH YOU into Singapore.
I don't think they have any 'tracking device' embedded in the IC :P (or maybe they do have .. )

As for entry, since he got his IC, he got his finger print scanned - I would say - stay away from Singapore.

TravellingTraveller

Post by TravellingTraveller » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 10:09 am

Thank you for all the replies, it's helping to form a clearer idea of a way to proceed.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 10:10 am

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Damn. You're shit out of luck IMO. Also at 21 you're of prime serving age.

I don't think they have any 'tracking device' embedded in the IC :P (or maybe they do have .. )

As for entry, since he got his IC, he got his finger print scanned - I would say - stay away from Singapore.
Do they scan finger prints of NZ passport holders coming in on a SVP? No - I wasn't thinking of tracking - more of it being discovered in a arrest/search at the airport.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 10:28 am

PNGMK wrote:Do they scan finger prints of NZ passport holders coming in on a SVP? No - I wasn't thinking of tracking - more of it being discovered in a arrest/search at the airport.
Generally they don't scan finger prints of anybody, but .. why would a NZ Passport holder - young NS Age chinese looking guy, be not noticed ? Just for the fun of it ... ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 2:45 pm

Because close to 12% of the NZ population is Asian, or even better, "only" 75% is European.
BTW, he didn't say he was Chinese, but regardless I don't think they would scan anybody just on that basis.