Singapore Expats

PR Approval chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
x9200

Re: PR Approval chances

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 11:11 pm

@SMS, I thought about this but concluded that the effort required would either make it ineffective (screening of a small fraction only) or made it impossible to remain unnoticed. I tend to think they rely on the data they could gather via standard interactions (or lack of them) with the authorities and other gov. bodies. Plus the employers.

BTW, while looking for statistics I found this interesting piece related to PR.
http://www.ica.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=13098

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Jan 2016 9:08 am

@x92. On the face of it, I'd agree, but think about it. We are talking about a couple of days or months of work vetting a potential future citizen. They could be looking at the possibility of the potential citizen becoming a ward of the state. (which I'm sure would cost a lot more over the long term than the vetting costs of said person) As they are in Singapore they would be full time employees of the ICA who might be working on dozens of cases at a time spending an hour or so here and there until they are satisfied in their collective minds. They may even do even more in-depth vetting/enquiring in the applicants home/history than was done when getting PR as SC isn't reversable as the constitution, I believe, will not let them, deliberately, make a person stateless.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 Jan 2016 7:16 pm

I have little daubs they would try to spare money on something like this. What I mean, look around, how many PRs you know or you are interacting at any given time? A lot. If they were vetting by trying to interview people, casual chit-chat approach or so there is no way it could be natural with the massive scale of this task. You would notice some strangers trying to pull information from you about your colleagues. Over some few years time the number of such encounters would grow and made you thinking, hey, that's strange.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR Approval chances

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Jan 2016 7:22 pm

x9200 wrote:I have little daubs they would try to spare money on something like this. What I mean, look around, how many PRs you know or you are interacting at any given time? A lot. If they were vetting by trying to interview people, casual chit-chat approach or so there is no way it could be natural with the massive scale of this task. You would notice some strangers trying to pull information from you about your colleagues. Over some few years time the number of such encounters would grow and made you thinking, hey, that's strange.
But how did they catch the 27 Bangladeshis who were being indoctrinated? Though the bunch has shown no signs of anything wrong.

Somebody is watching every thing ..... including how many times the Ic number was recorded down during enforcement checks in Sleazy pubs and bars Image

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 Jan 2016 9:01 pm

Ecu, those:?
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/c ... curity-act

I would suspect by monitoring communication channels or from informers infiltrating specific social/religious environments.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Jan 2016 9:40 pm

x9200 wrote:Ecu, those:?
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/c ... curity-act

I would suspect by monitoring communication channels or from informers infiltrating specific social/religious environments.
:( unfortunately, yes. That's what I was talking about

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 9:46 am

I also have a doubt that ICA also tracks those who give out IC for visa renewal, mobile SIM cards ... etc. etc.

A wild guess, and that's it.

So if somebody asks 'por favor' to extend SVP, my 2 cents says, don't - unless you are related.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 9:59 am

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:I have little daubs they would try to spare money on something like this. What I mean, look around, how many PRs you know or you are interacting at any given time? A lot. If they were vetting by trying to interview people, casual chit-chat approach or so there is no way it could be natural with the massive scale of this task. You would notice some strangers trying to pull information from you about your colleagues. Over some few years time the number of such encounters would grow and made you thinking, hey, that's strange.
But how did they catch the 27 Bangladeshis who were being indoctrinated? Though the bunch has shown no signs of anything wrong.

Somebody is watching every thing ..... including how many times the Ic number was recorded down during enforcement checks in Sleazy pubs and bars Image
Are you the Govt agent to monitor goings on at the Forum get togethers :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last one , you were in and out fast fella!!

Maybe your Primary target didnt attend , so you "had to go back to office" sharpish :-k :-k

The tracking device you gave us , I leave in my office , Govt think I am very hard worker :mrgreen:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 10:06 am

So many years ago I knew a nutty professor in Singapore. I won't say his name. He was copying MicroVax and Vax boards in Singapore for the Bulgarian govt (when they were still communists).

Eventually he was hauled in by ISD. Of course he tried to deny everything. Until they started telling him every single freaking moment of his life for the last year or so. They knew everything and everyone and everyplace. He immediately fessed up and did some sort of deal. This was well before mobile phone tracking etc as well.

Unfortunately he stroked out in the late 90's.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 10:30 am

Barnsley wrote: Are you the Govt agent to monitor goings on at the Forum get togethers :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last one , you were in and out fast fella!!

Maybe your Primary target didnt attend , so you "had to go back to office" sharpish :-k :-k

The tracking device you gave us , I leave in my office , Govt think I am very hard worker :mrgreen:
Well, I won't say much, but you gotta watch the bald headed man with a big beard :P I think he is the actual one, and I am the fall guy :D in case things go wrong ;)
PNGMK wrote:So many years ago I knew a nutty professor in Singapore. I won't say his name. He was copying MicroVax and Vax boards in Singapore for the Bulgarian govt (when they were still communists).

Eventually he was hauled in by ISD. Of course he tried to deny everything. Until they started telling him every single freaking moment of his life for the last year or so. They knew everything and everyone and everyplace. He immediately fessed up and did some sort of deal. This was well before mobile phone tracking etc as well.

Unfortunately he stroked out in the late 90's.
Man, that's really incredible, what ISD does.

Of course, know somebody who was hauled up for something trivial, and casually the IO had mentioned why the guy travels to Batam so often, even though the actual enquiry was not even related to his overseas travels. They do have information, it's just whether they want to use it or not.

No wonder one opposition party wants to abolish ISD and another, cut spending for ISD Severely.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 3:51 pm

I'll never tell. I'm sworn to secrecy!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 3:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'll never tell. I'm sworn to secrecy!
Ah ha.

Let's discuss this over a Carlsberg :P

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 4:44 pm

Corona would be better. ;-)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Jan 2016 5:28 pm

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Sat, 30 Jan 2016 9:41 pm

I think Brits integrate well wherever they go primarily because they tend to be a subtle bunch, and have a rich colonial history that gave them deep exposure to other cultures that few other nationalities can mimic.

Some of the most successful places on Earth are those that have been or are cultural melting pots, such as Hong Kong, Singapore, New York, London, Melbourne, Staines. It's relatively easy for Brits to integrate anywhere in the world when compared with people from mono-cultural places.