Singapore Expats Forum

PR Approval chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
prseeker_3
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 18 Jan 2016

PR Approval chances

Postby prseeker_3 » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 11:59 pm

We are seeking SPR. We made mistake of not applying when it was easier. First time applied in 2010 and then in 2012 and got rejected. Since then some of our circumstances have changed. Not sure what are our chances now. We need your suggestion.

Details:
Me: Working in Multinational Bank as Computer System architect (Full-Time Employee) aged 35, base 12k pm, master's from Indian university ( Grade B), same company for 9 years.
WIfe: Working in Multinational Bank as Business Analyst aged 36, base 7.5k pm, master's from Indian university ( Grade B), same company for 9 years.
Child: girl, 2.2 years now, born in SG
Religion: Hindu
Nationality: Indian
Stay in Singapore both of us: 9 years
Bought a condo 1 year ago worth 1M with 80% home loan on my wife's name.
I have been continuously contributing 200 pm as donation to red-cross society for last 3 years(of course out of my own commitment to society)
We also participate in voluntary work but don't have certificates to prove it. (Never thought that way until one of my friend pointed it out recently)
We both learned basic Mandarin from SCCoC to merge better in workplace and society
We have around 150k savings in bank account and investments in NTUC savings scheme.

Shall I apply this year or wait for few more years?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 12:38 am

prseeker_3 wrote:We are seeking SPR. We made mistake of not applying when it was easier. First time applied in 2010 and then in 2012 and got rejected. Since then some of our circumstances have changed. Not sure what are our chances now. We need your suggestion.

Details:
Me: Working in Multinational Bank as Computer System architect (Full-Time Employee) aged 35, base 12k pm, master's from Indian university ( Grade B), same company for 9 years.
WIfe: Working in Multinational Bank as Business Analyst aged 36, base 7.5k pm, master's from Indian university ( Grade B), same company for 9 years.
Child: girl, 2.2 years now, born in SG
Religion: Hindu
Nationality: Indian
Stay in Singapore both of us: 9 years
Bought a condo 1 year ago worth 1M with 80% home loan on my wife's name.
I have been continuously contributing 200 pm as donation to red-cross society for last 3 years(of course out of my own commitment to society)
We also participate in voluntary work but don't have certificates to prove it. (Never thought that way until one of my friend pointed it out recently)
We both learned basic Mandarin from SCCoC to merge better in workplace and society
We have around 150k savings in bank account and investments in NTUC savings scheme.

Shall I apply this year or wait for few more years?


Red: minus points possibly
Green: plus points possibly
Black: of no value whatsoever. Some due to abuse by your countrymen who came before you. Others because none of it brings value to Singapore, but only to your own pocket. Neither can you donate your way in. I'd give you a 50:50 chance as you do have longevity for both of you in your favour and while the purchase of you home doesn't really count for anything specific, that and the lack of job hopping does show grounding (or planting roots as it were. I'd go for it but be prepared for the worst (remember the volatility in the Finance Industry and the outsourcing in the IT sector),

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5399
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 9:48 am

I'd be planning your next move - maybe after this coming recession / crisis is over. I'd look to migrating to another country - you have solid skills and experience and quals but Singapore won't need them. You'll be well received elsewhere though I feel.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

hendra_ahg
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun, 23 Nov 2008

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby hendra_ahg » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 1:19 pm

I am surprised with the level of income you still unable to secure pr. I suggest you keep on trying while you still working in sg. No harm to do that.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 2:49 pm

prseeker_3 wrote:I have been continuously contributing 200 pm as donation to red-cross society for last 3 years(of course out of my own commitment to society)


Shaking my head !!! You should have donated to Sinda, and donated blood as well.

prseeker_3 wrote:We also participate in voluntary work but don't have certificates to prove it. (Never thought that way until one of my friend pointed it out recently)


Shaking my head !!! Again !!!!! (I would like to meet this friend of years, as I have been a volunteer for more than 15 years and when I needed it, it did ZILCH)

prseeker_3 wrote:We both learned basic Mandarin from SCCoC to merge better in workplace and society

Shaking my head !!!

prseeker_3 wrote:We have around 150k savings in bank account and investments in NTUC savings scheme.


Shaking my head !!!

And you didn't say what language you speak, that may be a deal breaker, if at all it mattered ...

Suggestion ? Go ahead and apply, when you got a slot. You have nothing to lose. And unless you buy a ticket, you don't win the lottery.

mystic_river
Regular
Regular
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu, 28 Mar 2013

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby mystic_river » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 3:48 pm

I find it hilarious when the OP says he donates out of his commitment to the society and yet mentions that here.

Just saying, but if you really did donate "out of your commitment to the society", you won't be hoping that it helps your PR application, because mentioning it here is exactly what you are hoping for. In any case, as SMS said, you cant donate your way in.

mystic_river
Regular
Regular
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu, 28 Mar 2013

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby mystic_river » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 4:01 pm

ecureilx wrote:
prseeker_3 wrote:I have been continuously contributing 200 pm as donation to red-cross society for last 3 years(of course out of my own commitment to society)


Shaking my head !!! You should have donated to Sinda, and donated blood as well.

prseeker_3 wrote:We also participate in voluntary work but don't have certificates to prove it. (Never thought that way until one of my friend pointed it out recently)


Shaking my head !!! Again !!!!! (I would like to meet this friend of years, as I have been a volunteer for more than 15 years and when I needed it, it did ZILCH)

prseeker_3 wrote:We both learned basic Mandarin from SCCoC to merge better in workplace and society

Shaking my head !!!

prseeker_3 wrote:We have around 150k savings in bank account and investments in NTUC savings scheme.


Shaking my head !!!

And you didn't say what language you speak, that may be a deal breaker, if at all it mattered ...

Suggestion ? Go ahead and apply, when you got a slot. You have nothing to lose. And unless you buy a ticket, you don't win the lottery.


Hahaha.

Off topic (but somewhat related): for SC application, if I am not mistaken, isn't it true that they consider how well you have integrated into the society? If that is indeed true, how does one even prove that? I am asking because for my profile, the only thing going for me (if i were to apply for SC) is that I have integrated into the society as much as one possibly can.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: PR Approval chances

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 6:29 pm

mystic_river wrote:Hahaha.

Off topic (but somewhat related): for SC application, if I am not mistaken, isn't it true that they consider how well you have integrated into the society? If that is indeed true, how does one even prove that? I am asking because for my profile, the only thing going for me (if i were to apply for SC) is that I have integrated into the society as much as one possibly can.


Of late I understand SG inc Wizened up to the strategy of cousins, who try to buy their way into PR by donation or force themselves into volunteer work, to the extent of ridiculing and bullying out the natives and existing volunteers, and once they got their PR, they literally disappear. No fear of leaving victims around.

Hence of late ICA rarely accepting letters and such stating X, Y or Z has been a dedicated volunteer etc etc.

I imagine ICA doing their measuring in other ways- after all, whenever you use your IC for anything, somebody somewhere is recording it.

mystic_river
Regular
Regular
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu, 28 Mar 2013

Re: RE: Re: PR Approval chances

Postby mystic_river » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 6:39 pm

ecureilx wrote:
mystic_river wrote:Hahaha.

Off topic (but somewhat related): for SC application, if I am not mistaken, isn't it true that they consider how well you have integrated into the society? If that is indeed true, how does one even prove that? I am asking because for my profile, the only thing going for me (if i were to apply for SC) is that I have integrated into the society as much as one possibly can.


Of late I understand SG inc Wizened up to the strategy of cousins, who try to buy their way into PR by donation or force themselves into volunteer work, to the extent of ridiculing and bullying out the natives and existing volunteers, and once they got their PR, they literally disappear. No fear of leaving victims around.

Hence of late ICA rarely accepting letters and such stating X, Y or Z has been a dedicated volunteer etc etc.

I imagine ICA doing their measuring in other ways- after all, whenever you use your IC for anything, somebody somewhere is recording it.


No I totally get that. And I know ICA is not stupid and that they dont give a rat's ass about who did what volunteer work.

I meant to ask, how does one actually prove that they have integrated well into the society. For e.g., all my friends are Singaporean; my culture is more Singaporean than that of my original country (I shudder to think how I will survive if I ever have to go back and live there). Or that the way I speak is as Singaporean as it can get (read: singlish).

Basically, anyone who actually meets me can't even tell that I am actually not a Singaporean. You can say it helps when you study at local school/JC/Uni. But how do I actually prove that to ICA?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 8:51 pm

You still don't get it, do you. People are still trying to find the "PR for Dummies" book. Still looking for the "shortcut" that will garner that coveted prize. Assimilating is something that only comes naturally. Assimilation isn't necessarily speaking like a local or trying to act like a local or only associating with local. It an evolution of one's thought processes, not an active choice. How to spot it? I don't know. How to obtain it? I don't know that either. I've been here for 33 years and while I'm comfortable enough here, and deeply immersed in society here, what with a local wife of 33 years and two grown children and a grandchild now as well, I cannot say that I'm localized or assimilated at all. Yes I have PR but I got my PR based on Family Ties, so a different set of standards are applied in my case.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby x9200 » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 9:05 pm

I would expect for Singapore assimilate should mean get well along but not necessarily mimic everything. Afterall the foreigners that are to be granted even EP, leaving PR alone, should be of a value added to this country, not yet another clone of an average Singaporean.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 9:12 pm

^^True.

mystic_river
Regular
Regular
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu, 28 Mar 2013

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby mystic_river » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 9:18 pm

Ah and I thought you were one of those who actually read posts properly. Not talking about PR. I already have that so called "coveted" prize for a long time (though not as long compared to you). I'm talking about SC.

And I agree with x9200 that the government definitely cares more about new citizens getting along well with the society. My question was, if it wasn't clear enough, is how would one prove that he/she WOULD get along well with the society.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby x9200 » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 9:23 pm

Definitely not a trivial task for anything beyond staying criminal offence free, paying taxes and not rioting in Little India.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR Approval chances

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jan 2016 10:05 pm

Their behind the scenes research. If they have teams to vet educational degrees in foreign countries (some their own, some outsourced) don't you think they have their fair share of local teams who are vetting you locally. You won't know one Singaporean from another so they can pretty much remain obscure just outside your virtural peripheral vision. They can have casual conversations with your friends that you have been observed with, in seemingly innocent settings like the local kopitiam, etc. Conversations with your colleagues. They don't necessarily have to identify themselves so nobody would be any the wiser. I really don't know, but look how easily they pick up on illegal overstayers, Illegal workers and the like. We are back to the 'how long is a piece of string'.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests