Singapore Expats

Whacked with MediShield Life Premium

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
taxico
Director
Director

Re: Whacked with MediShield Life Premium

Post by taxico » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 6:18 pm

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/el ... e-premiums

SG citizen living outside SG for >5 years (barring short visits not exceeding 140 days over the five-year period)
+ overseas permanent residency
+ ability to afford healthcare treatment in their country of residence
+ declaration on non-reliance on MediShield Life when they receive medical treatment here in SG
= ML premiums suspension possible

BUT... "Those who eventually decide to return to Singapore or no longer meet the criteria would have to foot the accumulated sum of premiums not paid previously, with compound interest."

does not bode well for SPRs (and dual citizen SCs) living outside singapore...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 7:17 pm

US citizens on this thread complaining about Medishield premiums? Speak of the pot calling the kettle black in the face of the ridiculous citizenship based taxation that American citizens and GC holders have to comply with.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 01 Oct 2016 12:13 am

Well, how long can you remain overseas and keep your PR? It's a matter of time you are going to lose it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Oct 2016 9:39 am

Wd40 it's easy to stop the Medishield life premiums. Leave Singapore, give up PR and withdraw all your CPF. However, in order to stop US Taxation of it Citizens/Green Card holders worldwide you have to either give up your citizenship/Green Card or die!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 01 Oct 2016 11:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wd40 it's easy to stop the Medishield life premiums. Leave Singapore, give up PR and withdraw all your CPF. However, in order to stop US Taxation of it Citizens/Green Card holders worldwide you have to either give up your citizenship/Green Card or die!
Indeed... within a few days of renouncing my PR, I receieved a letter from the Medishield folks noting termination and my CPF account was credited, pro rata, for unused premiums for the year.

Somewhat more of a hassle to withdraw CPF money... don't let BBCW see that I've taken my money out! :-$