Singapore Expats

My PR got rejected after 2 months

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
tomtomtom

Re: My PR got rejected after 2 months

Post by tomtomtom » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 12:42 pm

Dear Strong Eagle, Let people share their their ideas and situations here. You are not the one to decide on relavance and non-relavance...

Strong Eagle wrote:
tomtomtom wrote:Its relavant for ppl whose status is pending .....
It's not relevant at all. Some people are approved in a few months. Others wait more than a year without word. Just because someone says, "I got approved in 6 months"... or 3 months... or 18 months... doesn't mean shit for people still in the queue.

Again, it's not relevant at all.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 12:54 pm

tomtomtom wrote:Dear Strong Eagle, Let people share their their ideas and situations here. You are not the one to decide on relavance and non-relavance...

Strong Eagle wrote:
tomtomtom wrote:Its relavant for ppl whose status is pending .....
It's not relevant at all. Some people are approved in a few months. Others wait more than a year without word. Just because someone says, "I got approved in 6 months"... or 3 months... or 18 months... doesn't mean shit for people still in the queue.

Again, it's not relevant at all.
You're the one who called it relevant... I call bullshit!

tomtomtom

Post by tomtomtom » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 2:03 pm

Dear Strong Eagle, let people share/ hear ideas/ thoughts. Those for whom they are not relevant/ "bullshit" can stay aside..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: My PR got rejected after 2 months

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 4:05 pm

tomtomtom wrote:Dear Strong Eagle, let people share/ hear ideas/ thoughts. Those for whom they are not relevant/ "bullshit" can stay aside..
Dear tomtomtom,

I believe this board is known for relevant or realistic information or anecdotal information contributed by members who have first hand experience or closely knows somebody who went through it.

Information such as how long it takes, is irrelevant unless you have experience and proof, such as the longer it takes, it's closer to 100% approval. Or otherwise. Makes sense ?

If you don't, then explain please why the time taken matters a lot, other than to give applicants false hope of success (and start celebrating early) or false sense of failure (and start packing their bags).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 4:09 pm

sgstrait wrote:. Okay, actually, come to think of it, my salary had gone up 50% since arriving.....
50% pay rise isn't a substantial change ? Man ...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 4:17 pm

Squirrel, I was thinking the same thing! 50% is a heck of a big difference than the normal 2.6% increment one gets annually if they are lucky. But, to some people, nothing is big enough although some thing I can understand the agro if not big enough. ;-) ED also falls into that category as well. ;-) :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 4:30 pm

I would presume that processing times depend on when various agencies, here and abroad, get back to ICA with information. That is probably outside of ICA's, and your, control.

tomtomtom

Post by tomtomtom » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 9:12 pm

Never though ICA involving external agencies to do background checks?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 09 Jan 2016 9:46 pm

tomtomtom wrote:Never though ICA involving external agencies to do background checks?
You have a lot to learn. 'Nuff said.

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: My PR got rejected after 2 months

Post by sgstrait » Sun, 10 Jan 2016 10:02 am

ecureilx wrote:
tomtomtom wrote:Never though ICA involving external agencies to do background checks?
Precisely....tomtomtom you don't think that all that they assess the application on is the info you provide on the form do you?

Any govt would involve internal and foreign agencies, hence one of the key reasons you have to provide all your addresses for the past 5 years. You lived in China? They'll check the PSB records in China etc etc. That should be considered as the bare minimum that they do.

tomtomtom

Post by tomtomtom » Sun, 10 Jan 2016 11:49 am

ecureilx wrote:
Dear ecureilx, Thanks for taking time to furnish information in every post as if you were an ICA policymaker.... Just curious are u really ? ? ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Jan 2016 10:07 pm

Nah, it's just he's the oldest person on the forum with a multiple job history that would fill Monster.com. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: My PR got rejected after 2 months

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 10 Jan 2016 11:40 pm

tomtomtom wrote: Dear ecureilx, Thanks for taking time to furnish information in every post as if you were an ICA policymaker.... Just curious are u really ? ? ?
I am not with any agency .. but maybe you are ? Image

Seems you know something that's contrary to what people here thought they know, based on what's been seen and heard, so we love to hear what you know. please.

SMS yep, but none of them were my fault ;) till now !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 11 Jan 2016 4:00 am

Funny, I thought this was pretty common knowledge. But it's not just ICA or SG, I used to work for a bank and if we were approached by a wealthy prospective client to open an account, a part of the vetting might include running background checks on them to ensure the provenance of their wealth was clean. The logic was that if say we didn't do so and we took the client on, and it later turned out it was black-money, the potentially cataclysmal PR was a far greater reputational loss than what ever might have earned from them in fees.
The threshold for such checks depended on the place of birth and citizenship of the 'prospect'. By way of example the states that make up the former Soviet Union were candidates with lower-end thresholds; but every nationality had a hurdle set somewhere where these checks were triggered. We used a company called Sandline International, who might be best remembered for the activities of their mercenary division :o https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandline_International

That's got me wondering. If you didn't know that, do you know that all telephone calls in SG have been remotely screened for a list of key-words, that send up red-flags, for over 20 years now? I won't list examples, as I'm sure websites these days are monitored for the same... just think of common words associated with crime, terrorism, narcotics and so on...

... makes you wonder what the gahmen do with the data from all those NTUC 'prize draw' entry tickets. They must know the daily dietary habits of just about every individual in SG... same re: prescription/controlled medicines...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 11 Jan 2016 7:18 am

Of relevance to above... I was watching "Border control" - a UK based TV show about customs and immigration matters. In the show a slick looking (well fed in a suit) Indian dude was applying for skilled migration at the UK High Comm in Delhi. The TV crew were filming his interview. First error he made is that he wasn't certain what his degree was in! ("maybe accounting?"). The white brit interviewing him was having trouble believing his ears - "you mean you don't recall what you studied for four years?". Then the real fun started - the Brit IO had a sheaf of bank statements Mr Slick had submitted as proof of income (as a financial analyst). He informed Mr Slick that the British High Comm had checked with the bank and these statements were not correct and were fraudulent and could Mr Slick explain the difference? Of course the slime ball couldn't and kept asking for them back. The IO said "no - we will only return your passport". The slime ball then bolted for the door to discover it was locked - when he went back to ask for the door to be opened, the IO calmly informed him that the Indian police were on their way to arrest him for fraud - he was arrested on the show. The British govt. quite rightly banned Mr Slick for 10 years for any future visa applications.

So, I'd say yes. ICA definitely check the validity of your paperwork - I'm not sure they will call the police if obvious attempts to defraud them occur but it's a possibility.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!