Singapore Expats

Citizenship Application Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
giantbok

Re: Citizenship Application Chances

Post by giantbok » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 10:54 am

Yup. But at least his race belong to the minority with race option indicated on the forms in SG and language is offered in National School as mother tongue.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 11:29 am

giantbok wrote:Yup. But at least his race belong to the minority with race option indicated on the forms in SG and language is offered in National School as mother tongue.
Ok, you are missing something.

Here the government has been limiting the intake of minorities, unlike other countries where they have a bigger quota for minorities.

Unless you are on a different page, does that make sense now ?

giantbok

Post by giantbok » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 12:14 pm

ecureilx wrote:
giantbok wrote:Yup. But at least his race belong to the minority with race option indicated on the forms in SG and language is offered in National School as mother tongue.
Ok, you are missing something.

Here the government has been limiting the intake of minorities, unlike other countries where they have a bigger quota for minorities.

Unless you are on a different page, does that make sense now ?
Oh alright, understood. :)

aksgr81

Post by aksgr81 » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 12:43 pm

ecureilx wrote:
giantbok wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Since you been here for a while, you should know by now, Race overrides credentials in most cases :)

And just hope for the best for your application.
Thanks for that. I was thinking that his race could also be an advantage as a minority. I still think the Chinese race had a better chance among the races as 4 of my 5 colleagues who got naturalized were all Chinese (2 Malaysian, 2 from China) and 1 from Myanmar with Engineering PHD.
Are you referring to aksgr81 ?

Did you miss this ? > Passport: Indian
Thanks. I hope its approved soon.
what if its rejected? i hope i'll continue to be a PR, rite?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 1:08 pm

aksgr81 wrote:Thanks. I hope its approved soon.
what if its rejected? i hope i'll continue to be a PR, rite?
Unless you chalk up any criminal offenses or go against the 'good' government, or spend too much time out of Singapore, there's no reason for your PR to be revoked.

giantbok

Post by giantbok » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 2:18 pm

My wife renewed her passport and my son also changed his LTSVP to Student Pass so I went to ICA and updated them the details with reference to our ongoing application.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 9:07 pm

good luck, kabayan! Thinking of passing my own application too.

giantbok

Post by giantbok » Tue, 26 Jan 2016 12:12 pm

Good luck to you too.. Just do it.. hehehe I was hesitant before because I thought the chances of approval is low but we really dont know unless we try.. so just do it and hope for the best.. :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 26 Jan 2016 12:53 pm

giantbok wrote:Good luck to you too.. Just do it.. hehehe I was hesitant before because I thought the chances of approval is low but we really dont know unless we try.. so just do it and hope for the best.. :)
Just an idle thought, no offense.

Why would you want to give up the PH passport ? :) I am not implying any hate for your country of birth ...

giantbok

Post by giantbok » Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:26 am

ecureilx wrote:
giantbok wrote:Good luck to you too.. Just do it.. hehehe I was hesitant before because I thought the chances of approval is low but we really dont know unless we try.. so just do it and hope for the best.. :)

Why would you want to give up the PH passport ? :) I am not implying any hate for your country of birth ...
The main reason is for the well being of my kids. We are earning, spending, living and my only hard earned house is here so if my family is qualified to be naturalized then my family can give up our PH passport.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:53 am

giantbok wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

The main reason is for the well being of my kids. We are earning, spending, living and my only hard earned house is here so if my family is qualified to be naturalized then my family can give up our PH passport.
Are you absolutely sure you want to go down that path?

Everyone is different but the thing with our people is we often don't think enough about consequences. Ask yourself what you are willing to live with. If you can truthfully answer that question, then make a decision.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 27 Jan 2016 2:27 pm

nakatago wrote:
giantbok wrote:The main reason is for the well being of my kids. We are earning, spending, living and my only hard earned house is here so if my family is qualified to be naturalized then my family can give up our PH passport.
Are you absolutely sure you want to go down that path?

Everyone is different but the thing with our people is we often don't think enough about consequences. Ask yourself what you are willing to live with. If you can truthfully answer that question, then make a decision.
Well, he has a point, sort of.

For me, I do see Singapore becoming expensive, and expensive especially to spend retired life. Unless things change making cost of living lower goes down. Salary is not going up (especially for me :D or may be it's just me ;) )

And in return, give up luxuries which don't cost an arm and a leg back home - large space, cars, shake a leg and relax for little money .. in exchange for safety, security .. and safety and security and a well respected passport. And safety and security :)

And balikbayan programs are being seen as money making programs, for PH, and soon they gonna go after the 'former citizens' retiring, as they see untapped 'potential' = $$$$$$$

zinc32

Post by zinc32 » Wed, 17 Feb 2016 6:20 pm

I didn't know you could directly apply citizenship for your children who haven't even got their PR s?? This is permitted only when one of the parent is a Singaporean in your case both of you are PR so how does this work out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 17 Feb 2016 6:33 pm

This is not listed in ica but the nonPR child of 2 PRs can apply for citizenship together with his parents. What i am not sure if the child is required to be on spass or ltvp to be able to do so.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Feb 2016 7:19 pm

You also didn't factor in the child's age or gender either. I've a feeling that would happen only on a case by case basis otherwise it WOULD be on the site.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers