Singapore Expats Forum

Citizenship Application Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
giantbok

Citizenship Application Chances

Postby giantbok » Wed, 06 Jan 2016 3:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forum for quite awhile reading through everyone's story and situation towards citizenship application. So I'm just sharing mine too so everyone else could somehow relate to their own application.

I applied and submitted the citizenship application online sometime in Jan 2015. I got the schedule for the submission of requirements and interview on Aug 2015. I am the main applicant (economic scheme) together with my wife and 2 kids (family ties scheme). We are SPR for 7 yrs, eldest kid (girl, SPR) is P2 (national school) and youngest (boy, LTSVP) is K2 (PAP community preschool) during the time of application. My youngest is not SPR as the application was rejected twice, 1st back in 2011 and 2nd in 2013. Seek the advice of our MP regarding my son's SPR application but he suggested to apply Citizenship as a family.

We are Filipino family and our household income is about ~85k per annum. We also own a 5room HDB flat which in 25yr mortgage since last year. I am a Senior Engineer in a local electronics manufacturing company and my wife is an Assistant Engineer for a semicon company. Both of us are degree holder in a University in the Philippines.

I just want to hear what you guys think about our chances. I am hoping for the best result of my application for the well being of my family. Thank you. :)

giantbok

Re: Citizenship Application Chances

Postby giantbok » Wed, 06 Jan 2016 3:15 pm

I have to add that we've been in Singapore for 9yrs (7yrs SPR) at the time of the application.

aksgr81

Postby aksgr81 » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 6:06 pm

Hi All,

I am SPR since Sep 2004, applied for citizenship Sep2014.
Details:
Passport: Indian
Education: Post Graduate Diploma (Graduation - Engineering)
Current Job: Management
Citizenship Application with family (wife +son(13yrs))
Family income: ~120k per annum
PR renewal done twice (last on Mar 2015), that was after the citizenship application.

its now more than 15 months , when i called ICA the customer service personnel informed that they don't know anything more than whats at the ICA website (online status check).
Is this normal? i was assuming it will be approved in a year max.

-Ak

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 7:38 pm

I think the longest one I saw on here was 21 months and it was ultimately rejected. However, I've seen 18 months and approved so how long is a piece of string?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Citizenship Application Chances

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 8:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I think the longest one I saw on here was 21 months and it was ultimately rejected. However, I've seen 18 months and approved so how long is a piece of string?

I know of one guy's application that took 22 months before rejection.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Citizenship Application Chances

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 8:26 pm

giantbok wrote:I just want to hear what you guys think about our chances. I am hoping for the best result of my application for the well being of my family. Thank you. :)

As professional, you are under PTS scheme. There was a time Filipinos were welcome, including a few friends who became SC and then Filipinos find it hard to even get PR.

No idea if the above has been reversed. If the ICA refuse PR for child I wonder why they will approve SC for parents. Just thinking aloud.

Right now the rulers are worried about the well being of Singapore.

Good luck if the policies are changed and kababayans are welcome again.

brightsunshine

Postby brightsunshine » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 8:48 pm

For me, I submitted my application online. Waited 4 months for the interview appointment slot..

Post interview it took another 6 months before I got the In Principle Approval. So in total it took 10 months

brightsunshine

Postby brightsunshine » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 8:50 pm

For me, I submitted my application online. Waited 2 months for the interview appointment slot..

Post interview it took another 6 months before I got the In Principle Approval. So overall it took 8 months for me

brightsunshine

Postby brightsunshine » Thu, 07 Jan 2016 8:52 pm

Sorry miscalculated the months in my earlier post :)

giantbok

Re: RE: Citizenship Application Chances

Postby giantbok » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 9:19 am

ecureilx wrote:
giantbok wrote:I just want to hear what you guys think about our chances. I am hoping for the best result of my application for the well being of my family. Thank you. :)

As professional, you are under PTS scheme. There was a time Filipinos were welcome, including a few friends who became SC and then Filipinos find it hard to even get PR.

No idea if the above has been reversed. If the ICA refuse PR for child I wonder why they will approve SC for parents. Just thinking aloud.

Right now the rulers are worried about the well being of Singapore.

Good luck if the policies are changed and kababayans are welcome again.

In any case, just hoping for the best :), well the good thing is I got a slot for my son on P1 in a school nearby the house which is ~ 150 meters away considering we are on phase 3 during P1 registration. Ultimately as a parent living outside of our own country, we just want everything else to be in place for our kids.

giantbok

Postby giantbok » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 9:22 am

aksgr81 wrote:Hi All,

I am SPR since Sep 2004, applied for citizenship Sep2014.
Details:
Passport: Indian
Education: Post Graduate Diploma (Graduation - Engineering)
Current Job: Management
Citizenship Application with family (wife +son(13yrs))
Family income: ~120k per annum
PR renewal done twice (last on Mar 2015), that was after the citizenship application.

its now more than 15 months , when i called ICA the customer service personnel informed that they don't know anything more than whats at the ICA website (online status check).
Is this normal? i was assuming it will be approved in a year max.

-Ak

Seems like you have better chances than mine from the credentials you have. Hoping for the best of your application.. :)
Last edited by giantbok on Fri, 08 Jan 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

giantbok

Postby giantbok » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 9:25 am

brightsunshine wrote:For me, I submitted my application online. Waited 2 months for the interview appointment slot..

Post interview it took another 6 months before I got the In Principle Approval. So overall it took 8 months for me

Sounds very good. Did you apply for yourself only or together with family? The officer that evaluated our application said that it would typically take longer time probably a year to get the result.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 9:30 am

giantbok wrote:Seems like you have better chances than mine from the credentials you have. Hoping for the best for your application.. :)

Since you been here for a while, you should know by now, Race overrides credentials in most cases :)

And just hope for the best for your application.

giantbok

Postby giantbok » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 9:44 am

ecureilx wrote:
giantbok wrote:Seems like you have better chances than mine from the credentials you have. Hoping for the best for your application.. :)

Since you been here for a while, you should know by now, Race overrides credentials in most cases :)

Thanks for that. I was thinking that his race could also be an advantage as a minority. I still think the Chinese race had a better chance among the races as 4 of my 5 colleagues who got naturalized were all Chinese (2 Malaysian, 2 from China) and 1 from Myanmar with Engineering PHD.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 08 Jan 2016 10:28 am

giantbok wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Thanks for that. I was thinking that his race could also be an advantage as a minority. I still think the Chinese race had a better chance among the races as 4 of my 5 colleagues who got naturalized were all Chinese (2 Malaysian, 2 from China) and 1 from Myanmar with Engineering PHD.

Are you referring to aksgr81 ?

Did you miss this ? > Passport: Indian