Singapore Expats

Driving in New Zealand

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Driving in New Zealand

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 22 Dec 2015 9:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Driving in New Zealand

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Dec 2015 10:56 pm

SE, as you know, they drive the same way in Australia and Malaysia and the US as well. They really don't have any concept of how to drive long distances or high speeds. They are a very poor judge of both distance and closure speed.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 23 Dec 2015 8:56 am

I can point to any number of incidents involving Sg drivers in NZ. Foreigners get a lot of flack here for causing accidents, usually driving on the wrong side. While it's topical, especially at this time of year, in reality it's the local drivers that are responsible for 95% of the serious accidents. Asians in general get a lot of blame but Aussie drivers feature higher in accident stats. More of them I guess. Might change, China is becoming a big source of foreign visitors.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 23 Dec 2015 9:14 am

bgd wrote:I can point to any number of incidents involving Sg drivers in NZ. Foreigners get a lot of flack here for causing accidents, usually driving on the wrong side. While it's topical, especially at this time of year, in reality it's the local drivers that are responsible for 95% of the serious accidents. Asians in general get a lot of blame but Aussie drivers feature higher in accident stats. More of them I guess. Might change, China is becoming a big source of foreign visitors.
I guess one would need to go by respective fractions, so for example, the No of accidents per given number of Asians/Aussies/etc renting cars.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 23 Dec 2015 12:04 pm

The main issue for Singaporean's driving overseas is that they've never experienced driving on ice/gravel or the edge of the road (oh and Kangaroos).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 05 Jan 2016 1:21 pm

to be fair... having lived and treated accident patients in NZ for a fair number of years... i wouldn't say it's anything like singaporeans/asian tourists were habitually and regularly crashing rental cars there...

lots of tourists from all around the world get into accidents there. but boy, the Chinese (or people with Chinese-origin-sounding names) that are involved sure get picked up by the local NZ news fairly quickly.

even when they're not tourists.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 05 Jan 2016 1:44 pm

I have lived here for more than 15 years now. The signs that are display are meant to adhere strictly. If it means drive at 35 km/h it literally means that. The roads here are very winding especially down around West Coast of South Island and around Alexandra, Otage region. In the North Island the Bay of Plenty , Coromandel and Desert Road are the ones to watch out. The weather here very fickle and it can fluctuates about 10 degrees in one day.Hence slippery road, black ice etc etc
Those that come here be it Europeans , Chinese or thought they have driven in many countries prior assume it is the same, well it is not. I have seen a Dutch tourist cross the stop line and rammed into local man with two young kids. These are one of the many that were killed last year by overseas tourists across the board
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 05 Jan 2016 1:49 pm

Like how it's a trope that without Asians, a certain beach-based life savers reality show in Australia wouldn't exist.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 05 Jan 2016 4:30 pm

taxico wrote:
lots of tourists from all around the world get into accidents there. but boy, the Chinese (or people with Chinese-origin-sounding names) that are involved sure get picked up by the local NZ news fairly quickly.

even when they're not tourists.
I'm an occasional lurker on a NZ motorcycle site and they really don't like Asian drivers. They might have the odd pop at foreigners in general but the most vitriol is reserved for Asians. And cyclists, they don't like them either. Nobody likes cyclists. Compared to cyclists, Asian drivers are almost popular. :wink: