Singapore Expats Forum

Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9278
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 7:37 pm

TMD wrote:
You just spark a BRILLIANT idea, though not original - how about tax them as entrance fee to LI ?
Kinda like crowd-control version of ERP.

Nothing about human-rights, cow-rights or whatever - it is a simple commercial application of market demand vs cost.


So you gonna leach off the poor workers ? Brilliant!!!

I have an even better idea. Ship them off to Pulau Semaku. And publish reports saying the workers love the island.

And let them do all their work "offshore"

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby x9200 » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 7:55 pm

Even better idea is to tax them for using any transportation.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9278
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 7:56 pm

x9200 wrote:Even better idea is to tax them for using any transportation.

Or just don't give them salary :) deduct everything!!

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: RE: Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 8:16 pm

TMD wrote:You just spark a BRILLIANT idea, though not original - how about tax them as entrance fee to LI ?
Kinda like crowd-control version of ERP.

Nothing about human-rights, cow-rights or whatever - it is a simple commercial application of market demand vs cost.


Image
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34265
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 8:45 pm

As long as it applies to everybody, regardless of race if they are, say, foreigners with residency visas (be they /S/WP/EP/school/ (or more specific, not citizens or PRs or tourists). Similar to the casinos, but in reverse.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby x9200 » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 9:17 pm

SMS, even being myself very liberal I may disagree. The unfairness would be in where these guys are typically located and where is the location of what they may consider as within their basic needs. Compare, this would be similar to tax all the residents of AMK for traveling to Orchard. Of course, you may say they are free to move out from AMK to Newton and enjoy tax free traveling. For our WP guys it would be de facto racial based discrimination (as their WP eligibility is race biased) even if it is claimed it applies to everyone.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9278
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 9:44 pm

x9200 wrote:SMS, even being myself very liberal I may disagree. The unfairness would be in where these guys are typically located and where is the location of what they may consider as within their basic needs. Compare, this would be similar to tax all the residents of AMK for traveling to Orchard. Of course, you may say they are free to move out from AMK to Newton and enjoy tax free traveling.


Sounds like the London congestion charges and how Madonna escaped by having a property within the zone ;)

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 22 Dec 2015 3:52 pm

whats next a JB like crossing to enter orchard road?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9278
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 23 Dec 2015 12:25 pm

Quotes from today's CNA news about how TTSH handled the casualties:

The Little India riot involved a crowd of about 400 people and was Singapore’s worst public order disturbance in over 40 years. It began with Indian construction worker Sakthivel Kumaravelu fatally trapped under a bus, and escalated into a riot because of an alcohol-fuelled crowd, the mistaken perception that responders were trying to protect the bus driver and timekeeper instead of attending to the victim, and the crowd’s desire for “street justice” that is prevalent in their cultures. The rioters pelted personnel and emergency vehicles with cans, bottles and pieces of concrete drain covers, and set fire to the vehicles.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 23 Dec 2015 1:53 pm

ecureilx wrote:Quotes from today's CNA news about how TTSH handled the casualties:

The Little India riot involved a crowd of about 400 people and was Singapore’s worst public order disturbance in over 40 years. It began with Indian construction worker Sakthivel Kumaravelu fatally trapped under a bus, and escalated into a riot because of an alcohol-fuelled crowd, the mistaken perception that responders were trying to protect the bus driver and timekeeper instead of attending to the victim, and the crowd’s desire for “street justice” that is prevalent in their cultures. The rioters pelted personnel and emergency vehicles with cans, bottles and pieces of concrete drain covers, and set fire to the vehicles.


Its the victors who write history!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9278
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 23 Dec 2015 3:39 pm

Barnsley wrote:Its the victors who write history!!


Precisely !!!!

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby TMD » Wed, 23 Dec 2015 4:10 pm

Barnsley wrote:
ecureilx wrote:Quotes from today's CNA news about how TTSH handled the casualties:

The Little India riot involved a crowd of about 400 people and was Singapore’s worst public order disturbance in over 40 years. It began with Indian construction worker Sakthivel Kumaravelu fatally trapped under a bus, and escalated into a riot because of an alcohol-fuelled crowd, the mistaken perception that responders were trying to protect the bus driver and timekeeper instead of attending to the victim, and the crowd’s desire for “street justice” that is prevalent in their cultures. The rioters pelted personnel and emergency vehicles with cans, bottles and pieces of concrete drain covers, and set fire to the vehicles.


Its the victors who write history!!


Doesn't read like victory piece to me. I am curious if anyone had read this paragraph:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 71172.html
The main casualties of the Little India riot seen by TTSH were police and SCDF officers, and all but one of the 36 cases seen were outpatients. Half of the 36 cases treated at TTSH arrived within two hours of the riot, which occurred on the night of Dec 8, 2013. Twenty-eight of the 36 patients were from the police or SCDF; the remaining eight were civilians.


..and all these damages and injuries over a fatal road accident ? :o

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: RE: Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby TMD » Wed, 23 Dec 2015 4:41 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
TMD wrote:You just spark a BRILLIANT idea, though not original - how about tax them as entrance fee to LI ?
Kinda like crowd-control version of ERP. Nothing about human-rights, cow-rights or whatever - it is a simple commercial application of market demand vs cost.


Image


LOL! Don't look at me like that :lol:
Actually this idea is partly based some contributors comment, including yours: :D

rajagainstthemachine wrote:why can't there be a system to regulate the number of workers into LI by implementing different work patterns or shift schedules? there is a technology called work force management and work force optimization you know?


Another indication of LI's unchallenged attraction:
ecureilx wrote:They all want to go to LI.


mixes this with local authorities track records of mastering the art of social engineering and human behavior via financial incentives/disincentives + existing monitoring infra ( e.g ID cards, biometric, cctv, payment systems etc), I see this ERP-like human traffic control concept as technically feasible.

Image

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9278
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 23 Dec 2015 6:32 pm

TMD wrote:
Image


LOL! Don't look at me like that
Actually this idea is partly based some contributors comment, including yours: :D


How about trying this in China Town, Peninsula, Golden Mile and Lucky Plaza first ?

The last three places are worse on Sundays and people can't even enter the buildings.

Trial - Before going after the Injuns.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Little India riot: Two years on, smaller businesses struggle to stay afloat

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 23 Dec 2015 8:37 pm

@TMD workforce management is usually implemented by having different rosters for different sets of workers and they get different days off.
that way some people will have Sundays off, others maybe Wednesdays, others Thursdays etc, that way the crowds coming in will also be self contained.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests