Singapore Expats

Get married first or appy for Singapore citizenship first?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
cestlavie01

Get married first or appy for Singapore citizenship first?

Post by cestlavie01 » Tue, 01 Dec 2015 4:29 pm

Hi,

I need some advise.

I am a SPR now and plan to apply for Singapore citizenship. I've made the appointment with ICA to submit the application documents in Feb 2016.

My fiancée is holding a work permit and it's quite impossible for her to exchange for a SP or EP within short time. However for some personal matters she wishes to convert to LTVP as soon as possible, which requires us to get married immediately so that I can apply LTVP for her. The good news is that she has the exemption letter from MOM stating that she can marry to a Singaporean or PR without approval form MOM. So there is no issue for us to register our marriage in Singapore.

My question is, should I submit the application for Singapore citizenship first and subsequently register the marriage, or we can make the registration before my application? Which will give a higher chance of getting the citizenship? Can we register the marriage while the application is being processed? Will this increase the processing time?

I am wondering if the fact my spouse being a WP holder will lower the chance of my application being approved. Or is it the other way around?

Appreciate any advice. Thank you so much :)

cestlavie01

Re: Get married first or appy for Singapore citizenship first?

Post by cestlavie01 » Fri, 04 Dec 2015 2:41 am

Hello? Any advice? :(

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 04 Dec 2015 7:46 am

How long have you been a PR? How long has your fiance held a WP? If you are a PR you can get married and apply for LTVP. Is that the only reason you are applying for citizenship?

cestlavie01

Post by cestlavie01 » Fri, 04 Dec 2015 9:59 am

Strong Eagle wrote:How long have you been a PR? How long has your fiance held a WP? If you are a PR you can get married and apply for LTVP. Is that the only reason you are applying for citizenship?
Thanks!

The reason I want to apply for citizenship is I wish to settle down here in Singapore after 9 years' stay. And the first thing to settle down is to buy a house. I cannot afford a condo. With citizenship I can buy a (resale) HDB flat.

My fiancée has been on a WP for 3 years. The reason she requires a LTVP is for job change immediately, so she kind of of pushes to register the marriage ASAP.

I have been in Singapore for 9 yeas and been a PR for 3 years. I understand that 3 years of PR is probably too short for the citizenship to be granted in general. However, as I came to Singapore to study on a scholarship associated with 9 years of bond, this seems give me an advantage for the application. As far as I know, my friends with this similar background has successfully got the citizenship at a even earlier time (some being a PR for 1 or 2 years only before citizenship conversion). I am not 100% sure, but I reckon the time should not be a big issue.

BUT, I am wondering whether my spouse situation will disadvantage my application if I get married before the application? How much weight does ICA give on spouse's background(although the spouse is not applying) when assessing my citizenship application?

Thank you so much! :)