Singapore Expats

Overseas fresh grad coming to Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
freshgradfromcanada

Overseas fresh grad coming to Singapore

Post by freshgradfromcanada » Sun, 29 Nov 2015 1:04 pm

Hi! I recently graduated from a university in Canada with a Commerce (Finance) degree and am interested in finding a job in Singapore. I am interested in applying for management trainee programs, but will such employers take in fresh grads with no real experience? My work history only includes being a part time administrative assistant for 7 years and several paid internships in financial institutions.

If I do get an offer, would I be eligible for an Employment Pass or an S Pass? From what I read on the MOM website, one eligible for an Employment Pass needs to be highly skilled? To me, someone highly skilled is one with years of professional experience. I am just a fresh grad, but I graduated from a reputable institution.

Not looking for too high of a pay. Just $2200/month (as stated on the MOM website for one to be eligible for an S Pass) would be suffice.

Thank you in advance!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Overseas fresh grad coming to Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Nov 2015 2:21 pm

Not going to happen. You need relevant experience. And in the financial sector, unless you are of mid-management lever you are not likely to get a shot as they would have to explain to the MOM why it is necessary to hire a foreign fresher rather than a local fresher who is already schooled in the financial rules and practices here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

freshgradfromcanada

Post by freshgradfromcanada » Sun, 29 Nov 2015 2:26 pm

Ok, thank you. What if I have a connection that could get me into a bank in SIngapore?

freshgradfromcanada

Post by freshgradfromcanada » Sun, 29 Nov 2015 2:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not going to happen. You need relevant experience. And in the financial sector, unless you are of mid-management lever you are not likely to get a shot as they would have to explain to the MOM why it is necessary to hire a foreign fresher rather than a local fresher who is already schooled in the financial rules and practices here.
Ok, thank you. What if I have a connection that can get me into a bank in Singapore though?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Nov 2015 2:39 pm

Still has to go through the MOM to get the working visa. Without that, you are sunk. It's the MOM who ultimately controls the import of foreign talent. If it were up to the banks, everybody wouldn't be from Singapore for reasons that I won't go into here, but a little searching would turn them up.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

freshgradfromcanada

Post by freshgradfromcanada » Sun, 29 Nov 2015 3:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Still has to go through the MOM to get the working visa. Without that, you are sunk. It's the MOM who ultimately controls the import of foreign talent. If it were up to the banks, everybody wouldn't be from Singapore for reasons that I won't go into here, but a little searching would turn them up.
Would it be easier if I apply for post graduate studies in Singapore, and then once I graduate, apply for a job there?

I think by now it is obvious that I just want to move to Singapore hahaha.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Nov 2015 4:39 pm

Everybody would like to come to Singapore. However, it's a small Island and they have to think of their own first and rightly so. Even if you come here for post grad studies, when you graduate, you will be no closer to where you want to go as you will still be a fresher without relevant experience. Having a Masters doesn't make you a good worker unless you were already a good worker and have a number of years under your belt in experience and then do your masters. Doing straight out of a BA/BSc means you are a good test take and not too much else in the application part. Get some experience of a couple three years and then if you want to come to Singapore, by all means give it a shot as at least you will have a better chance. If you cannot bring any more to the table than another local fresh grad or fresh local post grad, they why should the Government (MOM) allow you to work with you will be taking a job away from a similarly qualified local?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 30 Nov 2015 7:25 am

I'm in general agreement with SMS regarding your ability to obtain employment, particularly while Singapore seems to be in the midst of a populist mindset that foreigners are "stealing all the good jobs".

Getting a post grad degree in Singapore has its pros and cons. The pros are that you are in an Asian school, will learn the culture and norms, have an opportunity to network, and learn what specialties are really in demand so that your future employer might actually be able to demonstrate that you possess specific skills that cannot be found in the general populace. But, you'll need to choose an arcane and difficult field of study, still coveted by financial institutions, to make this work.

The cons are that you will have a graduate degree from a Singapore university, and while Singapore is no slouch in the education department, should you apply in the US or EU or UK for jobs with your Asian degree, you'll run into a shitpot of crappy managers who have never heard of your school, and therefore consider it suspect.

You _could_, since you so badly want to live in Singapore, apply to do your graduate work at the Singapore campus of INSEAD. This is a world renowned grad school, and should you be accepted and graduate, their would be many firms and NGO's interested in taking a look at you... maybe not all in Singapore... but fer sure, in Asia... and an excellent stepping stone.