Singapore Expats

Low PSLE results , Any suggestion for Lower Secondary School?

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
lennardtan76

Low PSLE results , Any suggestion for Lower Secondary School?

Post by lennardtan76 » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 9:19 am

Hi

My friend's daughter dint get into the target school for secondary. She was listed in a neighborhoud school which my friend thinks its not a good school for her daughter. Any suggestion?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Low PSLE results , Any suggestion for Lower Secondary School?

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:08 am

The Primary Schools have out a book for Primary 6 kids. It lists all the schools, their entry mark levels, their ECA etc. Review that and see if you can apply for a transfer. However I would not despair, neighborhood schools have improved a lot since the MOE started transferring better teachers/leaders into them. The main issue with them is that there are no 'elite' kids there to socialize with and sometimes their ECA's choices are a bit limited.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

lennardtan76

Post by lennardtan76 » Mon, 30 Nov 2015 6:06 pm

PNGMK wrote:The Primary Schools have out a book for Primary 6 kids. It lists all the schools, their entry mark levels, their ECA etc. Review that and see if you can apply for a transfer. However I would not despair, neighborhood schools have improved a lot since the MOE started transferring better teachers/leaders into them. The main issue with them is that there are no 'elite' kids there to socialize with and sometimes their ECA's choices are a bit limited.
thanks for that, yes that actually the concern of my friend so they are considering International Schools. Any suggestions?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 13 Nov 2020 12:20 am

International schools are significantly steeper cost-wise, so that is something to consider. Most local schools provide a decent education, it’s just that with most of the schools with lower cut-offs they tend to receive less funding and resources. Hence subject choices and CCAs are more limited as compared to the more elite schools. Still not a bad choice though, for the most part.