Singapore Expats

Renewal of e-REP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
oklono

Renewal of e-REP

Post by oklono » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 6:01 pm

Hey guys! Here to seek your advice on some issues with regards to the renewal of e-REP. Some background information first.

My dad was recruited by a local company back in 1993. Somewhere in 1996, he was given the privilege to apply for SPR. He was awarded on his first attempt and being the sponsor, my mum and i also attained our SPR status as his dependents. Back then i was 6 and had been here since then. In 1997, He purchased our first resale HDB flat and we moved to our new flat in 2005.

In 2002, my younger brother was born locally and was given a SPR status as well. Currently he is studying in a local secondary school. He had been in Singapore since birth, less some of the occasional overseas holiday trips. My parents have all intentions to let him serve his NS in Singapore, just like me. My mum had been on odd jobs and since my brother started schooling in 2009, she had stopped working to help him with his studies.

In 2007, my dad was given the opportunity to be deployed overseas for a long duration. Since then, he was given 3 family visit per year and each lasting for a duration of 2 weeks. For the past few renewal of e-REP applications (2011,2006,2001,1996) that we submitted, the approved duration had always been 5 years. Until the most recent application in Nov 15, the approved duration was only 1 year.

I had since converted to a SC by registration and at the verge of starting my own family here in Singapore. Looking through the forum, i realised that majority of the 1 year REP were awarded due to insufficient time spent in Singapore and I fear that maybe the case for my Dad as well.

I had the following questions in my mind, hope to gain some clarity from the members and the moderators. :)

1) What are some of the factors that ICA take in to considerations when they decide the approved duration for REP? By duration of stay in Singapore? If so, are there any specific period? Are income tax and CPF contribution determining factors as well?

2) My dad was told by his company that for the duration of his postings overseas, all salary would be paid to him in the currency of the country that he was posted to. On separate account, he is given local salary as a form of financial support for his family who remained in Singapore. The allowance that were given was at its bare minimum, i.e. less than 20k per annum. Based on income tax guideline, there would not be any income tax for income group less than 20k per annum. As such, my dad had not been contributing to income taxes since 2007. Could that be a possible reason for the reduction to 1 year of REP?

3) In my humble assumptions, REP and SPR are interlinked but two different entities. SPR are allowed to hold REP for re-entry into Singapore. However, losing REP does not necessary means that the SPR status will be losed as well. Yet again, it does spell danger for my dad's SPR status?

4) Given that my mum and my brother are both dependents to my dad, their SPR statuses would also be affect should my dad's SPR status be revoked? If so, how can i, in the capacity as a SC, apply any form of statuses/permits for my family continue to stay in Singapore and retain our way of life? My brother is currently into his 2nd year of secondary education and it would be extremely disruptive for him to continue his studies in another country.

Hope to hear from you guys soon. :)

Regards,
Concerned son.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Renewal of e-REP

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:06 pm

Your hypotheses (time spent in Singapore, tax contributions to Singapore) seem reasonable to me and are consistent with the general consensus as far as I can tell.
oklono wrote:However, losing REP does not necessary means that the SPR status will be losed as well. Yet again, it does spell danger for my dad's SPR status?
Not as such, no. SPRs can remain in Singapore indefinitely even without REPs. My understanding is that member SMS stayed in Singapore for at least several months without a valid re-entry permit. He has described his experiences in this forum previously. It can be months, years, or a lifetime. There is no requirement for a SPR to have a valid REP as long as the SPR never needs to reenter Singapore (i.e. never leaves Singapore).
Given that my mum and my brother are both dependents to my dad, their SPR statuses would also be affect should my dad's SPR status be revoked?
I don't see how, but obviously if your father is outside Singapore without a REP then that's at least inconvenient for his dependents. He would be outside Singapore without the ability to get back in (i.e. he has then lost SPR), but he has dependents who are still in Singapore and who are still SPRs.

As another example, if your father were to pass away, his death has no direct impact on the SPR statuses of his dependents. Obviously that event would be even worse.
If so, how can i, in the capacity as a SC, apply any form of statuses/permits for my family continue to stay in Singapore and retain our way of life?
I don't think you have any power or control here, not yet anyway. If your father wants to preserve his ability to reside in Singapore then he must actually reside in Singapore. It's really that simple, and you can't do that for him. If he never leaves Singapore he doesn't even need a REP.

If your father were to lose his SPR (which happens if his REP expires while he's outside Singapore) you could then hypothetically sponsor him for an LTVP. There's absolutely no guarantee his LTVP would be approved since it's discretionary, but it's possible. And of course LTVPs don't enjoy the same privileges as SPRs. For example, if he owns an HDB flat he has a problem right away if he were to lose his SPR status.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:04 pm

He could definitely have some problems regarding his HDB Flat considering two names have to be on the title A Singapore Citizen and a PR is okay as is two PRs, however, I don't know if they could put a minor PR as a co-owner. As far as the REP is concerned, as already noted, it's not an issue as long as the PR doesn't leave Singapore without an REP (that included Batam or JB even). The REP isn't necessary to remain in Singapore, unless you break the law badly enough. The government does retain the right to cancel your PR. In fact, the government can also rescind your citizenship if they find out you are carrying another citizenship after the age of majority. As noted, I spend sever months without an REP (15 months to be exact). I was unemployed at the time and couldn't afford to be traveling overseas back then so it was of little issue.

The issuance of a one year REP is designed to do one of two things. Either to force you to return to Singapore or to get your affairs in order if you intent to remain with your overseas employer. The choice is your father's.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Annie12321

Post by Annie12321 » Tue, 22 Dec 2015 12:53 pm

Hi oklono

can I know if your mom's PR status is affected if your father's PR was revoked? I have quite similar case and I seek some advices from your case. Thank you in advance