Singapore Expats

ALMOST Denied Entry to Singapore by the ICA

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
nakatago

Re: RE: Re: ALMOST Denied Entry to Singapore by the ICA

Post by nakatago » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 8:06 am

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Sitting with maids, I guess that's very uncomfortable :(
Have you tried waiting in the Philippine embassy on a Sunday?! Makes me want to reluctantly change my accent.
yep, been in 26 Nassim Road on Sundays. It's so noisy :)
And chaotic. Because people don't ducking read and follow instructions. :mad:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 11:59 am

nakatago wrote:And chaotic. Because people don't ducking read and follow instructions. :mad:
I don't what the ducking you are on now ? :P

Anyway, let's get the story go back to the original form :)
Last edited by ecureilx on Thu, 17 Dec 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 17 Dec 2015 1:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:Anyway, let's get the story go back to the original form :)
Except for the passport and gender, OP wouldn't have raised any suspicions. :roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

travelgirl

Re: ALMOST Denied Entry to Singapore by the ICA

Post by travelgirl » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 12:04 pm

Hi, were you able to go back to Singapore with no problems at all? Kind of in the same situation but I was given 7 days instead of 30.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 12:16 pm

travelgirl wrote:Hi, were you able to go back to Singapore with no problems at all? Kind of in the same situation but I was given 7 days instead of 30.
I don't think you are in the same situation unless you can prove your visits to SG were about spending heaps of money doing shopping. From the other thread it appeared you got caught doing the visa running thing or they might have suspected you of doing some worse things. If the first case, then staying away for 8 month should be enough but of course, no guarantee - it's always up to the ICA officers to decide.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 12:23 pm

travelgirl wrote:Hi, were you able to go back to Singapore with no problems at all? Kind of in the same situation but I was given 7 days instead of 30.
on top of what x9200 advised, there is something called 'case-by-case'.

Just because for a filipina ICA took a look at her Gold / Platinum Credit Cards and decided she is a well healed/tai tai type tourista, doesn't mean they will do the same to another Filipina. For the second one, they have every right to say "thanks, but no thanks, we don't quite buy your story- you can fly out on the next available flight .. "

travelgirl

Post by travelgirl » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 3:37 pm

My previous visits to Singapore were for tourism purposes except last year. I told IO that I wanted to spend time with my siblings, who work in Singapore as engineers, and they have given me another 7 days after my second exit to Malaysia. I think the reason why they still have given me 7 days is because I always make it a point to visit Indonesia/Malaysia for a day before leaving Singapore and they have seen it on my record and since I did not find a job, they have not seen anything on MOM too.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 4:14 pm

travelgirl wrote:My previous visits to Singapore were for tourism purposes except last year. I told IO that I wanted to spend time with my siblings, who work in Singapore as engineers, and they have given me another 7 days after my second exit to Malaysia. I think the reason why they still have given me 7 days is because I always make it a point to visit Indonesia/Malaysia for a day before leaving Singapore and they have seen it on my record and since I did not find a job, they have not seen anything on MOM too.
You didn't hear this from me:

But even if you have a pass pending, ICA will not know, unless it is approved. Unless things changed recently.

What ICA sees is the regular pattern of girls coming here for 'business', who spend a month here, and then do a visa run to extend for a month or a week or whatever ICA Gives - and that's the hard truth.

Don't bother justifying to yourself that the actual reason is otherwise. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

travelgirl

Post by travelgirl » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 5:19 pm

The last time I went to SG was to look for a decent job not the business you're talking about. I am far from being that person for goodness' sake.

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 5:46 pm

I think the point ecureilx is trying to make is that whatever your actual objectives, your travel patterns fit those of the "ladies" he describes. You making it a point of visiting Indonesia/Malaysia for one day before leaving Singapore makes it look like you are doing a visa run, do it often enough and you get the 7 day visa, or even put on the next plane back home with a ban on re-entry. Whether you are trying to do visa runs or not is frankly irrelevant as ICA don't have to prove that you are to limit your visa or deport you.

Mike

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 5:51 pm

travelgirl wrote:The last time I went to SG was to look for a decent job not the business you're talking about. I am far from being that person for goodness' sake.
Ok, firstly relax.

Secondly I only surmised how ICA profiles such travel pattern. And it's sort of known. And nobody is insinuating anything.

Do you see any other reason why ICA decided you aren't a tourist anymore, a regular tourist who gets the regular 30 day visa to sight see and spend money ?

FYI, the folks at ICA, unlike other countries nearby, are good at one thing - that's to not accuse anybody of anything.

In HK, for comparison, there's too many cases of girls being refused entry and then directly being asked if they are there for nefarious activities. And in one instance the boyfriend of a girl was asked if he's the trafficking agent.

So chill, and do what's suggested by me: tag along with your boyfriend on your next visit. Just To be safe.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 6:11 pm

MikeJones wrote:I think the point ecureilx is trying to make is that whatever your actual objectives, your travel patterns fit those of the "ladies" he describes.
Interestingly a few years ago some Filipinos who were doing the 30 day, 3 day in Malaysia, then another 30 day, then 1 week in Indonesia.. kind of travel pattern were suddenly being given 3 days visa on their next visit.

The guys and girls were here promoting the then craze of MLM businesses.

And one girl went to appeal and on her next visit, she was sent back to Philippines, upon arrival.

That's how Singapore works. No reasons given but I guess the immigration staff do more than stamping visa. Am sure a simple enquiry would have shown the monetary transactions of the visitors, banking secrecy or otherwise.

travelgirl

Post by travelgirl » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 9:19 pm

I actually do it often, literally spending a day in Malaysia every time I visit my siblings in Singapore, but I never extended my stay except the last time I went there(since I looked for a job). Even if I go to Malaysia/Indonesia, I leave in about 2 or 3 days after and come back to Singapore the next year.

Well recently I wounded my record because I obviously was just trying to extend my stay. But I really hope they let me into Singapore now even just for a week.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Jan 2016 11:29 pm

travelgirl wrote:Even if I go to Malaysia/Indonesia, I leave in about 2 or 3 days after and come back to Singapore the next year..
You are not seeing the bigger picture.

You hold a passport that gets visa on arrival.

So when you go to Malaysia or Indonesia and come back, for the ICA officer, it's a visa extension run.

And when they see the same pattern more than once, they aren't gonna see how many days you stayed back after your Malaysian visa run. They just see SG-MY-SG ...

Too many things to go wrong and it happened.

I wouldn't wanna ask the rational behind your ritual of doing SG-MY for a day-SG .. fly back.

Holicamika

Post by Holicamika » Mon, 01 Feb 2016 1:52 pm

Hi travelgirl,

Yes I've visited Singapore twice already since the ICA incident. Once on December and recently on January. No problems encountered on both times and no questions asked by the officer. I think it's a case by case thing, and the only way you'll know if you will be allowed to enter Singapore again is by buying a ticket and hope for the best. Good luck !