Singapore Expats

Working while guardian to student

Juggling family and work is never easy. Discuss about it here.
MCRE1973

Working while guardian to student

Post by MCRE1973 » Tue, 17 Nov 2015 1:33 pm

I'm currently in Singapore on a Dependent's Pass and I'm also working full time under a Letter of Consent. Our son is a primary school student also on a DP. My husband's company (the EP sponsor) is transferring us to another country before the end of the 2016 school year. I would like to stay behind with my son to let him finish the school year in Singapore and I would also like to keep working during that time. My salary is not high enough for me to apply for an EP.
Is there any combination of work permit/student pass that would allow my son and me to remain here for a few months after our EP/DPs are cancelled??

x9200

Re: Working while guardian to student

Post by x9200 » Tue, 17 Nov 2015 1:42 pm

No. You could only consider LTVP for yourself and the student pass for him. Is he in a private school?

MCRE1973

Post by MCRE1973 » Tue, 17 Nov 2015 1:48 pm

Yes, he's at an International School.

MCRE1973

Post by MCRE1973 » Tue, 17 Nov 2015 1:58 pm

I notice on the MOM page for LTVP holders that there's an option to apply for a work permit after one year of helping your child adjust to the Singapore education system. I don't know whether 7 years of living in Singapore would count for anything in this case!

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... ued-by-ica

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 17 Nov 2015 5:29 pm

MCRE1973 wrote:I notice on the MOM page for LTVP holders that there's an option to apply for a work permit after one year of helping your child adjust to the Singapore education system. I don't know whether 7 years of living in Singapore would count for anything in this case!

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... ued-by-ica
If you can survive this 1y gap then it looks like viable option.

For the 7y, no harm to ask, especially that the reason they mention for this initial 1y ban is to take better care of the kid, what in your case is simply not applicable. Still, they are probably not very much flexible so don't have too much hopes.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Nov 2015 6:40 pm

That whole programme is commonly referred to as the Pei Du Momma. It was designed for those students who have been accepted into the local school system from China, Hence the name, although all could theoretically qualify. However, I'm not too sure that they would cotton to the idea that a former DP who's anchor has left should be granted the same status. But as mentioned, no harm in trying, but don't bet your last nickle on it and keep a plan B if it all goes belly up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Study_mama
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers