Singapore Expats

Interior wall paint - where to get paint samples?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Edroche
Regular
Regular

Interior wall paint - where to get paint samples?

Post by Edroche » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 2:14 pm

Hi all,

Any idea where I could get some wall paint samples before committing to a colour and buying a 2L tin? Seems that it is not that easy to find samples in the local shops.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Interior wall paint - where to get paint samples?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 2:32 pm

Most any paint shop like Handy-Fix will have color chip catalogs I know the one on B2 in NEX shopping centre at Upper Serangoon Roadhas them, as I've got a couple at home I got there last year before repainting our bedroom.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 2:32 pm

You will have a harder time buying a 2L tin. 1 litre or 4/5 litre only.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 6:08 pm

As SMS said. 1 and 5l only. Use the chips they typically provide, buy 1l (~$15-20) and voilà.

BTW, 2l of typical paint will likely be good enough for a single wall of a small-middle size room or a bit better if what you paint over is virtually of the same shade.

Edroche
Regular
Regular

Post by Edroche » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 8:29 pm

thanks guys. Will revisit the shops and pick up a catalog. Just happened to search online and this is a good tool http://www.olympic.com/color/paint-color-visualizer . At least helps to rule out the obviously bad colours. Trying to identify the best paints for my unit with limited natural light. Seems the old rule of thumb to paint white is not the best. Did that when I moved into the EA but it goes off white after a couple of years. Time for some colour.

L.Jaff

Post by L.Jaff » Wed, 02 Dec 2015 4:47 pm

It's best to buy a small tin and paint it on the wall. The final shade on the wall can turn out different. I got a blue tone color paint on the catalog, which ended up turning light green when painted.