Singapore Expats

Great helper recommendation

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
valentina_bar

Great helper recommendation

Post by valentina_bar » Thu, 12 Nov 2015 1:05 pm

hey, maybe somebody could recommend a trustworthy and fast cleaner/helper to come to clean on a weekly basis? Need somebody reliable and good. We live near farrer road. Need somebody to come during WEEKDAYS, time to be arranged. Cleaning/ironing etc. I actually need somebody today/tomorrow for 3-4 hours cleaning. I prefer somebody who already works around this area to avoid transportation charges or cancellations. Pls PM for details on the rate/contacts. Thanks a lot!

marc.favroo

Re: Great helper recommendation

Post by marc.favroo » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 6:35 am

Hey Valentina,

Had exactly the same issue when I arrived half a year ago but managed to sort it out...will pm further info (dont want to spam anyone)...

Jessy Lixuan

Post by Jessy Lixuan » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 8:09 pm

Hi, same issue as above, I just moved to my new condo and would like to find a cleaner. Any recommendation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valentina_bar

Post by valentina_bar » Mon, 23 Nov 2015 9:34 am

Yes, Marc, thanks. I got your message. Jessy, will send you the private message as well, just not to spam anyone

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Great helper recommendation

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 23 Nov 2015 9:44 am

valentina_bar wrote:Yes, Marc, thanks. I got your message. Jessy, will send you the private message as well, just not to spam anyone
I hope this maid is not an illegal maid, i i.e. on work permit freelancing...

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Mon, 23 Nov 2015 10:19 am

ecureilx wrote:I hope this maid is not an illegal maid, i i.e. on work permit freelancing...
there are some who hired cleaners from batam..they will come in on weekly basis and do 2 - 3hrs cleaning service..i think this one is illegal

valentina_bar

Post by valentina_bar » Mon, 23 Nov 2015 10:23 am

Yes, we need legal one. How to tell if legal part-time cleaner?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 23 Nov 2015 10:33 am

valentina_bar wrote:Yes, we need legal one. How to tell if legal part-time cleaner?
Legal is one of the two categories:
a) Must be Singaporean or Singapore PR
b) Must be employed by a local company with the work permit under this company where the company provides the type of the services you want and the job scope as per the work permit is the said job.

Just ask the maid for her pass.

Any Long Term Visit pass - illegal
Any Foreign Domestic Worker - illegal

Beware, some maid agencies may send you illegal workers.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 23 Nov 2015 1:02 pm

x9200 wrote:
valentina_bar wrote:Yes, we need legal one. How to tell if legal part-time cleaner?
Legal is one of the two categories:
a) Must be Singaporean or Singapore PR
b) Must be employed by a local company with the work permit under this company where the company provides the type of the services you want and the job scope as per the work permit is the said job.

Just ask the maid for her pass.

Any Long Term Visit pass - illegal
Any Foreign Domestic Worker - illegal

Beware, some maid agencies may send you illegal workers.
Slight correction... anyone who is a PR/SC is free to work freelance... they don't need to be employed by a local company... they can do their own thing.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 23 Nov 2015 1:03 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: Slight correction... anyone who is a PR/SC is free to work freelance... they don't need to be employed by a local company... they can do their own thing.
I think x9200 forgot the "or" after a) ... ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 23 Nov 2015 2:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: Slight correction... anyone who is a PR/SC is free to work freelance... they don't need to be employed by a local company... they can do their own thing.
I think x9200 forgot the "or" after a) ... ;)
Nope. It says above "one of..."

marc.favroo

Post by marc.favroo » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 7:21 am

I would never ever deal with someone who doesnt have the legal right to work in the country...can snowball very very quickly...and Singapore is not the place where you want to have problems with the law :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:29 am

marc.favroo wrote:I would never ever deal with someone who doesnt have the legal right to work in the country...can snowball very very quickly...and Singapore is not the place where you want to have problems with the law :)
The issue is not about employing illegal workers, but its about workers pretending to be legal, or insisting they are legal.

Example, years ago, before MOM stepped up enforcement, many DH were doing part time work, and if challenged, they showed their Work pass and insisted their employer gave them permission to freelance, and it is perfectly legal. We do know MOM forbids work outside their employer's residence, but a vast majority aren't aware of it.

And even when MOM enforcement caught a few once in a while, catching those maids who come out of condos after part time work, more than enough maids were genuinely shocked that they broke any law, and of course, MOM gave warning to them, than haul them to court.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:20 am

Actually the vast majority ARE aware of it, but choose to ignore it for the lure of a couple of bucks. All are made aware of it be the agents when they sign the contracts and the agents DO inform them as the agents can be held liable if they don't explain the contracts with them and with the government. As for the part time employers, ignorance is no excuse and it's been in the various media quite often over the past several years so there is just no excuse.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:36 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually the vast majority ARE aware of it, but choose to ignore it for the lure of a couple of bucks. All are made aware of it be the agents when they sign the contracts and the agents DO inform them as the agents can be held liable if they don't explain the contracts with them and with the government. As for the part time employers, ignorance is no excuse and it's been in the various media quite often over the past several years so there is just no excuse.
I do agree on your post, but like about 10 + years ago, quite a few employers openly allowed their maids to freelance and insisted it was perfectly ok, as they couldn't pay the salary and it is ok to allow the maids to make some money instead of going back.

Thanks to MOM's stepped up enforcement and education, the message has been very clear, and now a few maids who try freelancing do admit they know they are breaking the law.

And the entrance test for maids has definitely made a big difference there.