Singapore Expats

Great helper recommendation

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Great helper recommendation

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Apr 2016 7:53 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I could probably safely poo-poo that ability considering the LoC holders are still prevented from a fair number of occupations here and I'd feel pretty sure the FDW would be right up there with Masseuses, beauticians, bar or dance hostess, etc. as these occupations are banned for WP applications.
But there's a 1 in a million chance, and so and so ;)

Though reality says it is a safe NO.

#-o Check out the definition of the third word in my post, 'probably'.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Apr 2016 7:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I could probably safely poo-poo that ability considering the LoC holders are still prevented from a fair number of occupations here and I'd feel pretty sure the FDW would be right up there with Masseuses, beauticians, bar or dance hostess, etc. as these occupations are banned for WP applications.
But there's a 1 in a million chance, and so and so ;)

Though reality says it is a safe NO.

#-o Check out the definition of the third word in my post, 'probably'.
But theoretically it means LTVP / DP etc can become Maids ? :-k Of course, theoretically speaking !!

PS, to Obtain LTVP/DP etc, the primary applicant is expected to show some financial standing. And after approval asking to put the spouse as cleaner ? Ok, theoretically that beats logic

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 Apr 2016 9:08 pm

I think the option may be more than just theoretical, at least for some specific groups of the LTVP holders. See below:

Parents accompanying a child studying in Singapore
[..]
After you have been in Singapore for a year, you can find a job and your employer can apply for a Work Permit for you. Your employer needs to apply for the permit using WP Online.

Under the Work Permit, you are:

Able to work in any sector.
Subject to the prospective company's quota.
Subject to the foreign worker levy.
Not allowed to work in objectionable occupations (bar or dance hostess, masseur, etc.).
You will need these documents to apply for a Work Permit:
[..]
Note: If you qualify, your employer can also apply for an S Pass or Employment Pass for you. Your application will be assessed based on current criteria.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... ued-by-ica

It is clearly aiming at the low-wage employees repeatedly mentioning Work Permit. I would expect being hired by a part time maids/cleaning agency may be perfectly valid option.

(No, it's not via the LoC scheme, but it is tightly liked to LTVP)

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 21 Apr 2016 3:39 am

Part-time or full-time ad hoc home/office cleaning is (also) perfectly respectable work Singaporean citizens and Permanent Residents can and do undertake. It is often more specialized -- for example, upholstery cleaning, office cleaning. It is not the same situation as a FDW, a worker dedicated to one and only one household and never to an office. These are different roles, different statuses, with a different set of rules. I don't think that comparison is apt.

I can't find anything published that indicates that home (or office) cleaning firms are barred from applying for LoCs for LTVP, LTVP+, and DP holders. There is, however, a prohibition against "objectionable occupations such as a dance hostess or a masseur." One would think that MoM would not be shy about listing cleaning occupations if it found them also "objectionable," but it does not. Moreover, the enabling legislation gives the Ministry of Manpower the, er, power to grant LoCs for "any form of paid employment," so there's no legal bar to MoM issuing LoCs to cleaning staff.

I don't think we have enough recent evidence to determine whether or not the Ministry of Manpower is issuing LoCs to home or office cleaners. DP holders have always been dependents within relatively high (or higher) income households and not necessarily the most obvious home cleaning firm employees. LTVP+ only started a few years ago, and LTVP LoCs are even more recent. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the notion out of hand, at least not without recent evidence.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Apr 2016 3:18 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:Part-time or full-time ad hoc home/office cleaning is (also) perfectly respectable work Singaporean citizens and Permanent Residents can and do undertake. It is often more specialized -- for example, upholstery cleaning, office cleaning. It is not the same situation as a FDW, a worker dedicated to one and only one household and never to an office. These are different roles, different statuses, with a different set of rules. I don't think that comparison is apt.

I can't find anything published that indicates that home (or office) cleaning firms are barred from applying for LoCs for LTVP, LTVP+, and DP holders. There is, however, a prohibition against "objectionable occupations such as a dance hostess or a masseur." One would think that MoM would not be shy about listing cleaning occupations if it found them also "objectionable," but it does not. Moreover, the enabling legislation gives the Ministry of Manpower the, er, power to grant LoCs for "any form of paid employment," so there's no legal bar to MoM issuing LoCs to cleaning staff.

I don't think we have enough recent evidence to determine whether or not the Ministry of Manpower is issuing LoCs to home or office cleaners. DP holders have always been dependents within relatively high (or higher) income households and not necessarily the most obvious home cleaning firm employees. LTVP+ only started a few years ago, and LTVP LoCs are even more recent. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the notion out of hand, at least not without recent evidence.
There you have it, SMS - in full detail !!!! :-k

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Apr 2016 3:30 pm

We don't or he don't?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers