Singapore Expats Forum

SVP Rejected

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

archkc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 16 Feb 2015

SVP Rejected

Postby archkc » Wed, 04 Nov 2015 6:06 pm

Hi everyone,
I am hoping the senior folks here can shed some light to this situation.

I am a EP holder, for last 5 years. My brother moved here to study in 2014 and completed his course in 2015. We are Indians. His student pass ended in August 2015. He got a 30 day staying visa until September 2015. Some of his friends left to Batam or JB on the last week during that 30 days period and got a extension. We tried to extend it online and it got rejected. So, we went for an appeal to ICA along with a local sponsor. Met with a officer who asked his reasons to stay – we said, family is here ( my parents had visited then) and that he needs an extension. His visa was expiring the next day. We also had a return ticket for mid October. Showed the same, but the extension was still rejected. So, he had to leave home the next day within the expiry of visa. It was a bit annoying, but we realized it was probably wrong in our part to even go up to ICA. We should have either crossed the border and returned or just left home! Anyway, that was over.

Now, he is keen on applying for jobs here and is qualified in a field that has a number of openings. I have his phone and I often receive calls for him. We have been working to have telephonic interviews/video interviews and they have been quite okay.

A company is now coming close to selecting him and has called for a face-to-face interview. He had planned to visit me here and also try this interview. But his SVP is getting rejected! Twice!

What could be the reason for this? There is no offence on him except that he tried to seek an extension and left when it didn’t come up. Is that an offence?

Does ICA not want people to come on a tourist visa and seek jobs – per se, that’s not illegal here ( or correct me if I am wrong).

Applications were correct. We provided information that I will be supporting him, gave my FIN and mentioned that he is here only for 2 weeks. The plan was only for 2 weeks anyway. People now say, seek appeal in ICA. Frankly, I am scared now.

It is sad that people who studied here in private schools don’t get even a 3 month visa to look for roles. It’s another story that students from NUS/NTU get about a year visa and until not so long back, a PR invitation to boot. I am one of those too, missed the PR by a year.

I am a silent reader and several of my questions have been answered by just reading thro the posts here. So, thanks for all the good work.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: SVP Rejected

Postby JR8 » Wed, 04 Nov 2015 6:58 pm

It seems a curious situation to me, but I'm not a subject matter expert in this area. Others are, I expect they'll drop by later. What is the protocol in getting a visa rejection, is it just that one word, or is there anything in addition explaining the reason? I know ICA 'keep their cards close to their chest' but I'm surprised that literally zero explanation is revealed... :???:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5668
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: SVP Rejected

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 10:34 am

Does ICA not want people to come on a tourist visa and seek jobs – per se, that’s not illegal here ( or correct me if I am wrong).

No. They don't. That's not the definition of a 'social visit'.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

archkc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 16 Feb 2015

Re: SVP Rejected

Postby archkc » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 10:46 am

PNGMK wrote:Does ICA not want people to come on a tourist visa and seek jobs – per se, that’s not illegal here ( or correct me if I am wrong).

No. They don't. That's not the definition of a 'social visit'.


Agree. I am just understanding that. It is kind of silly then to not make it illegal and simply do it at random. Anyway, who am I to negate their rules?

archkc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 16 Feb 2015

Re: SVP Rejected

Postby archkc » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 10:50 am

JR8 wrote:It seems a curious situation to me, but I'm not a subject matter expert in this area. Others are, I expect they'll drop by later. What is the protocol in getting a visa rejection, is it just that one word, or is there anything in addition explaining the reason? I know ICA 'keep their cards close to their chest' but I'm surprised that literally zero explanation is revealed... :???:


I have written to ICA on this now, after several friends expressed the same curiousness to me. Called the call centre and I was asked why I didn't declare on the form that he was a student earlier. The lady said, it could be because this information is not given. I find that a bit odd because, once they key in his passport number - his details on the previous passes should appear, right? Also, another friend who saw his picture mentioned that the image seems distorted and asked me to re-apply again. I wrote to ICA asking if they can help me understand the reason for rejection and if I can try a fresh application.

The protocol is simple. There is a one liner - After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that the visa application is not successful.

No further information is available online or on the phone. The guys at call center were helpful, but had limited visibility on the application.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5668
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: SVP Rejected

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 11:28 am

archkc wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Does ICA not want people to come on a tourist visa and seek jobs – per se, that’s not illegal here ( or correct me if I am wrong).

No. They don't. That's not the definition of a 'social visit'.


Agree. I am just understanding that. It is kind of silly then to not make it illegal and simply do it at random. Anyway, who am I to negate their rules?


They don't do it at random. They do it when a red flag in their algorithm shows up....

India+MultipleVisits+Male+SVPapplication==RedFlag(True)
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

archkc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 16 Feb 2015

Re: SVP Rejected

Postby archkc » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 12:07 pm

PNGMK wrote:
archkc wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Does ICA not want people to come on a tourist visa and seek jobs – per se, that’s not illegal here ( or correct me if I am wrong).

No. They don't. That's not the definition of a 'social visit'.


Agree. I am just understanding that. It is kind of silly then to not make it illegal and simply do it at random. Anyway, who am I to negate their rules?


They don't do it at random. They do it when a red flag in their algorithm shows up....

India+MultipleVisits+Male+SVPapplication==RedFlag(True)


Hmm, actually he wouldn't be in it there. He is Indian, was a student here ( full time, >95% attendance, class topper, great creds from school etc -immaterial, but yes). Before that visited in 2011 for 10 days. He applied to study in 2014 and lived here for a year. So, I am wondering how this is multiple visits..

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: SVP Rejected

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 12:26 pm

archkc wrote:Hmm, actually he wouldn't be in it there. He is Indian, was a student here ( full time, >95% attendance, class topper, great creds from school etc -immaterial, but yes). Before that visited in 2011 for 10 days. He applied to study in 2014 and lived here for a year. So, I am wondering how this is multiple visits..


Without going into details, when ICA suspects he did things other than studying, like part time work etc, it's tough to firstly find out why they have a red flag and secondly even tougher to reset the problem.

That's Singapore, their game, their rules .

In such cases, I am sure they may not issue a SVP but if he secured a job, Work pass generally is not impacted. Again, generally ...

Unless he has made some errors which he has forgotten. Unsettled bills, unpaid fines ....

Ps, call center has very low visibility on causes for rejection .. so don't put much hope on them. Even if they know the chance of telling you is 1 in a million.

archkc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 16 Feb 2015

Re: SVP Rejected

Postby archkc » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 2:03 pm

Hmm, thank you. No part time work. He didn't even try. Course was busy enough. No bills, fines, no contracts on him. All this is puzzling. True, their game, their rules. Right now just keeping fingers crossed for a telephonic interview on the one here and a good role that's opened up for a interview in bangalore. Hope one gets thro.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: SVP Rejected

Postby the lynx » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 3:02 pm

Would having invitation letter from the company help in the SVP application? I would say it is a valid cause.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: SVP Rejected

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 3:15 pm

the lynx wrote:Would having invitation letter from the company help in the SVP application? I would say it is a valid cause.

If any company gives an invite for interview visa, it may be a first but worth a try.

Op, it doesn't matter if he did do part time or not. It's what ICA maybe suspecting.

And since Singapore immigration doesn't ask for bank statement for proof of funds, it's hard to prove that he didn't have to resort to working illegally.

archkc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 16 Feb 2015

Re: RE: Re: SVP Rejected

Postby archkc » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 3:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote:Would having invitation letter from the company help in the SVP application? I would say it is a valid cause.

If any company gives an invite for interview visa, it may be a first but worth a try.

Op, it doesn't matter if he did do part time or not. It's what ICA maybe suspecting.

And since Singapore immigration doesn't ask for bank statement for proof of funds, it's hard to prove that he didn't have to resort to working illegally.


Thanks, I understand it is hard to prove. Actually, if they do ask for proof of funds - in this case, fairly easy to show since I work here.

He does have a valid invitation for an interview. But it is not for an interview visa! It is an email from the HR asking him to report to the interview at a date, location. This is a large consulting firm ( so no nonsense of us fabricating it).

I didnt divulge this in the application thinking it may backfire. Now, not too sure if I should have.

The remarks column supports only 300 characters. Hard to write more than that and there is no way to submit additional documents too on SAVE.

Just a thought - is going to ICA and seeking extension ( and leaving when it got rejected within the date of visa) a mistake? As far as I can see, that's the only odd things we might have done. Seeking extension..I wish we had crossed to JB or even flown back to India instead of that hassle.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5668
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: SVP Rejected

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 3:30 pm

the lynx wrote:Would having invitation letter from the company help in the SVP application? I would say it is a valid cause.


For a business visa yes, not for a social visa.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: SVP Rejected

Postby JR8 » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 4:58 pm

I was curious if an interview requires a business visa (ie. is the bar crossed, that 'business is being negotiated'? Hmmm etc).
This might be of interest/use?? ... [from a government agency]...>
------------------------------

'Social Visit Pass
If you wish to come into Singapore for a short stint, either to attend job interviews or to negotiate contracts, you will need to apply for a Social Visit Pass.
The Social Visit Pass is valid between two to four weeks and may be subsequently renewed for up to three months. Holders of the Social Visit Pass are not allowed to work in Singapore.
For more information on the different categories of visitors applying for a Social Visit Pass, visit the ICA website.

http://www.contactsingapore.sg/en/profe ... m-visitors
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

archkc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 16 Feb 2015

Re: SVP Rejected

Postby archkc » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 5:35 pm

To my knowledge, a business visa is for business visitors - as in people already engaged in a business who have certain work here. The guys who come for a meeting, conference etc. An interview is certainly not a business issue yet, isnt' it?

I was of the understanding a business visa requires a local sponsor - as in a entity to be a sponsor. It asks for the UEN, equivalent of a FIN. So, my guess is it needs to be applied for by the entity.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests