Singapore Expats

Singapore restricts its citizens of Indian origin from attending Modi's event

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Singapore restricts its citizens of Indian origin from attending Modi's event

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 04 Nov 2015 12:27 pm

so Apparently Narendra Modi is coming to Singapore and he expects to see vast hordes of Indian people, hes going to be in for a shock because the gahmen here have other ideas ( which btw I concur with completely! )
Have a read

http://www.abplive.in/world-news/singap ... ent-238285
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Singapore restricts its citizens of Indian origin from attending Modi's event

Post by bgd » Wed, 04 Nov 2015 12:41 pm

They just need to move those TV cameras closer to the front. ;-)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Singapore restricts its citizens of Indian origin from attending Modi's event

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Nov 2015 3:15 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:so Apparently Narendra Modi is coming to Singapore and he expects to see vast hordes of Indian people, hes going to be in for a shock because the gahmen here have other ideas ( which btw I concur with completely! )
Have a read

http://www.abplive.in/world-news/singap ... ent-238285
Funny.

In one of the invites by the organisers, (or a splinter organising group) the form apparently had only space for EP, and Indian passport number as details.

One of the local had tried to clarify this and the said committee guy had said that this event is not for locals.

It was quoted in one Facebook group ...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Singapore restricts its citizens of Indian origin from attending Modi's event

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 10:39 am

Faark. This is pretty unconstitutional even for Singapore.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Singapore restricts its citizens of Indian origin from attending Modi's event

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 12:45 pm

PNGMK wrote:Faark. This is pretty unconstitutional even for Singapore.
My 2 cents, is, the organisers are focusing on rich NRIs and don't want the poorer local cousins present. And indirectly they are hinting that it is Singapore's fault.

Even though there are rich Singaporeans of Indian descent ...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: RE: Re: Singapore restricts its citizens of Indian origin from attending Modi's event

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 1:02 pm

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Faark. This is pretty unconstitutional even for Singapore.
My 2 cents, is, the organisers are focusing on rich NRIs and don't want the poorer local cousins present. And indirectly they are hinting that it is Singapore's fault.

Even though there are rich Singaporeans of Indian descent ...
you've got it wrong! Modi wants a huge crowd to gather and listen to his ramble. He wants to show people back home that he's a natural crowd puller, people flock from all over to see him talk.
the local gahmen therefore just stop short of saying indian passport holders are OK for the event, just not it's citizens and rightly too, it wants to keep SC's ( read Indian origin) out of the unnecessary propaganda and agenda they don't need.
Anyway it would be interesting to see what Modi is going to go on about. His so called bhakts keep running around threatening people about what they eat and wear and castigate muslims
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 2:11 pm

this reminds me of the Chinese govt expressing concern about the Malaysian citizens of Chinese ancestry in Malaysia during the last Bersih riots.... like what the f...k? The last thing Malaysian Chinese want is the Chinese govt claiming their diaspora are still Chinese... cause they've been trying to deny that for generations already.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 3:19 pm

PNGMK wrote: The last thing Malaysian Chinese want is the Chinese govt claiming their diaspora are still Chinese... cause they've been trying to deny that for generations already.
Yes, I was like wtf but ....surprisingly a few SG friends defended the ambassadors overt moves to show support to the Malaysian Chinese ....
rajagainstthemachine wrote: Anyway it would be interesting to see what Modi is going to go on about. His so called bhakts keep running around threatening people about what they eat and wear and castigate muslims
The force is very strong with the Disciples :)

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TMD » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 10:52 pm

PNGMK wrote:this reminds me of the Chinese govt expressing concern about the Malaysian citizens of Chinese ancestry in Malaysia during the last Bersih riots.... like what the f...k? The last thing Malaysian Chinese want is the Chinese govt claiming their diaspora are still Chinese... cause they've been trying to deny that for generations already.
For the benefit of the discussion, please do not equate what has happened in KL's Petaling street with that of Modi's oversea roadshows.

Both are entirely unrelated in forms, purpose and intend.

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TMD » Thu, 05 Nov 2015 10:56 pm

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote: The last thing Malaysian Chinese want is the Chinese govt claiming their diaspora are still Chinese... cause they've been trying to deny that for generations already.
Yes, I was like wtf but ....surprisingly a few SG friends defended the ambassadors overt moves to show support to the Malaysian Chinese ....
Perhaps you like to start a new thread sharing what and how had your SG friends defended the PRC ambassador when he made that a trip to the Chinatown in the Malaysian capital on 25 Sep.

So let's keep the discussion within the Topic.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 06 Nov 2015 5:43 am

TMD wrote:So let's keep the discussion within the Topic.
Yeah, good luck with that.

And I'm a moderator.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 06 Nov 2015 5:47 am

They're already doing it to places....oooh, "It has 'China' in the name, therefore it's ours, binding treaties which we signed to be damned!"
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 06 Nov 2015 6:36 am

nakatago wrote:
TMD wrote:So let's keep the discussion within the Topic.
Yeah, good luck with that.

And I'm a moderator.
:-k :D

Back on the subject, well, China's attempt to show 'sympathy' for the Chinese in Malaysia has some deep lessons, and has a loud echo as to what Singapore maybe trying to avoid, vis-a-vis Modi and Indians in Singapore.

In Singapore's context, it's about Modi exploiting the feel-good-factor I guess, which may set off other unexpected repercussions in 'Incident free' Singapore !

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Nov 2015 8:11 am

TMD wrote:
PNGMK wrote:this reminds me of the Chinese govt expressing concern about the Malaysian citizens of Chinese ancestry in Malaysia during the last Bersih riots.... like what the f...k? The last thing Malaysian Chinese want is the Chinese govt claiming their diaspora are still Chinese... cause they've been trying to deny that for generations already.
For the benefit of the discussion, please do not equate what has happened in KL's Petaling street with that of Modi's oversea roadshows.

Who died and made you boss? OH AND THE TOPICS are extremely related.

We don't see leaders of western countries running around trying to curry favour with their former citizens so why do we see Asian country leaders doing it? That is my point and my question.

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Fri, 06 Nov 2015 8:29 am

TMD wrote:

Why can't they be related? Care to elaborate?

Don't drop your opinion around as if it's cast-in-stone fact.