Singapore Expats

Need Advise: My daughter did'nt get a slot on the local primary school

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
Clarice1

Re: Need Advise: My daughter did'nt get a slot on the local primary school

Post by Clarice1 » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 5:15 am

Agree. The 2011 election was a turning point. Since then, the government has had to do a lot more to appease the locals. But it's not easy to know what is going on in Singapore, with the Straits Times a mouthpiece of the government and the Opposition muzzled in all sorts of ways. Rules can be changed overnight, too. For example, in early 2012 the rules were suddenly changed re Parent Volunteers. PRs who had been doing PV for years suddenly found their time had been wasted, since SCs are now given absolute priority. There is some suggestion now that PRC, Malaysian Chinese and Taiwanese students are being given priority over non-Chinese speaking students because that will lift the standard of Mandarin as MT (Mother Tongue). Hard to know, but everything in Singapore is based on race. Each HDB block, for example, has a racial quota. Singapore also can't be ignoring the rise of racial tension in Malaysia.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:15 am

Clarice1 wrote:Agree. The 2011 election was a turning point. Since then, the government has had to do a lot more to appease the locals. But it's not easy to know what is going on in Singapore, with the Straits Times a mouthpiece of the government and the Opposition muzzled in all sorts of ways. Rules can be changed overnight, too. For example, in early 2012 the rules were suddenly changed re Parent Volunteers. PRs who had been doing PV for years suddenly found their time had been wasted, since SCs are now given absolute priority. There is some suggestion now that PRC, Malaysian Chinese and Taiwanese students are being given priority over non-Chinese speaking students because that will lift the standard of Mandarin as MT (Mother Tongue). Hard to know, but everything in Singapore is based on race. Each HDB block, for example, has a racial quota. Singapore also can't be ignoring the rise of racial tension in Malaysia.
Foreigner is foreigner irrespective of the language.

Even Malaysian Chinese are getting bashed on some social media sites for coming here and stealing jobs etc etc.

The world as we knew, it is changing!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:16 am

Clarice1 wrote:Agree. The 2011 election was a turning point. Since then, the government has had to do a lot more to appease the locals. But it's not easy to know what is going on in Singapore, with the Straits Times a mouthpiece of the government and the Opposition muzzled in all sorts of ways. Rules can be changed overnight, too. For example, in early 2012 the rules were suddenly changed re Parent Volunteers. PRs who had been doing PV for years suddenly found their time had been wasted, since SCs are now given absolute priority. There is some suggestion now that PRC, Malaysian Chinese and Taiwanese students are being given priority over non-Chinese speaking students because that will lift the standard of Mandarin as MT (Mother Tongue). Hard to know, but everything in Singapore is based on race. Each HDB block, for example, has a racial quota. Singapore also can't be ignoring the rise of racial tension in Malaysia.
Whilst things here are still based on race.

Foreigner is foreigner irrespective of the language.

Even Malaysian Chinese are getting bashed on some social media sites for coming here and stealing jobs etc etc.

The world as we knew, it is changing!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:20 am

Be careful what you wish for.

An expat PR mate sold up his house here (he bought a landed property before the SLA made it impossible for foreigners/PR to do so). He got over $3MM for it. He and his wife moved to the UK "for the sake of the kids education". To maximize his spending power he also cashed in his CPF and gave up PR. Less than 18 months later he has moved back to Singapore as the UK was boring and dull and the job sucked and discovered that he can't get his kids into a local school, doesn't want to pay international fees for a school and his employer will not pay for 4 kids fees in an International School. He's looking at $110,000 p.a. min now for school fees and his kids are young (primary and babies).

Don't give up your PR!
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Clarice1

Post by Clarice1 » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:26 am

Can you return to your home country and maintain PR status in Singapore?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:31 am

Clarice1 wrote:Can you return to your home country and maintain PR status in Singapore?
For a period of time... (a few years at most) depending on when your REP renewal is due.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:34 am

Clarice1 wrote:Can you return to your home country and maintain PR status in Singapore?
You'll be subject to the same conditions for re-entry permit which you can't hold for long without committing fraud with ICA NOT finding out*

*oh they will.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:39 am

nakatago wrote:
You'll be subject to the same conditions for re-entry permit which you can't hold for long without committing fraud with ICA NOT finding out*

*oh they will.
Oh piss off. What bloody fraud? If she/he reapplies for a REP when it expires and has relocated back into Singapore and found a job (as I have done several times after years of absence) and declares this all on the form there is no fraud. Don't be an ass because you're mod mate.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 12:10 pm

There is no expiration for PR but REP (re-entry permits) are given with 5 to 10 year durations or 1 year for special cases. If you are outside of Singapore and your REP has expired, then your PR is automatically lost.

Clarice1

Post by Clarice1 » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 2:06 pm

Re entry into local schools: it's the kids' immigration status that matters, not those of the parents. There have been plenty of recent cases where the parents and older kids are PR, but the younger ones have been denied PR status, are still on LTVP, and have been denied a place for P1.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 4:18 pm

Clarice1 wrote:Re entry into local schools: it's the kids' immigration status that matters, not those of the parents. There have been plenty of recent cases where the parents and older kids are PR, but the younger ones have been denied PR status, are still on LTVP, and have been denied a place for P1.
Very important point. It seems not only is the gahmen worried about the collateral loading of older folks (i.e. parents of PR) but also the younger folks (kids of PR).

Clarice1

Post by Clarice1 » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 4:28 pm

Very difficult for PRs to get their parents there, as far as I know. And even if they do, their access to medical and other services is limited and they don't get PR status themselves. (But don't really know) As far as kids of PRs are concerned, you would think they would want boys for National Service. But boys are also being rejected for PR, in apparently large numbers. Or do they want only Chinese boys???

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 5:35 pm

Clarice1 wrote:Very difficult for PRs to get their parents there, as far as I know. And even if they do, their access to medical and other services is limited and they don't get PR status themselves. (But don't really know) As far as kids of PRs are concerned, you would think they would want boys for National Service. But boys are also being rejected for PR, in apparently large numbers. Or do they want only Chinese boys???
I think they now thinking a lot of foreigners have their sons do a runner when it comes to NS time.

So why give out PR to them....

You seem to have some obsession with Chinese folks!!

What is it?

tess tracey

Post by tess tracey » Fri, 11 Dec 2015 1:52 pm

Hi
My son has been rejected in local schools for P1 and we cant afford International Schools.Please does anyone here knows any privates school that would cost below 15k a year.Pls need your help as he will be 7 by March and if he cant go school nxt year,he will be wasting 1 school year.Pls anyone who had the same experience.badly need your help

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Dec 2015 1:55 pm

You all are in for a rough time. You might want to think about a) homeschooling; and b) returning home. Not much of a choice, but it is what it is. I'm not sure how much the Indian School is but that is probably the lowest costs Int'l school here that might have room.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers