Singapore Expats

Bio diesel/natural gas conversion

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Bio diesel/natural gas conversion

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:25 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:What's positive about this?
Positive ? Once the Palm plantations are in full production, Indonesia's Economy will be on upswing, as it will offset their Oil and Gas production, where from a nett exporter, they have become a nett importer.

And on target to double their palm production by 2030 :)

NCD22

Re: Bio diesel/natural gas conversion

Post by NCD22 » Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:45 pm

@ ecureilx - Palm oil IS a potential ingredient for biodiesel, but it is just one of many and is not an ideal one at that, others are restaurant waste, oil collected in sewer systems, roughage left from wheat/corn, etc. etc. etc. Either way, ANY source of biodiesel is far better for the environment than petrol...
:wink: ››NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE REAL THING‹‹ :wink:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:58 pm

The haze itself as we have it here its likely a fertilizer. As long as it does not obstruct the sun light significantly and there is some rain around it may be beneficial for the plant kingdom. Also nothing particularly bad in the fires and the fire caused migrations. These are the processes present in the nature and are part of its cycles. The bad is the extent (probably) and deforestation linked with the plant monocultures but whether the whole Indonesia mess has any negative impact on the natural environment it would require weighting in things like fossil fuel replacement etc etc. The fact that something is clearly bad for the economy and the city-humans, doesn't mean it is that clearly bad for the natural environment.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 28 Oct 2015 4:53 pm

ecureilx wrote:American vs British English :D
Two Cycle, Two Stroke :P
A case of 'different strokes for different folks' :cool:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 28 Oct 2015 5:10 pm

x9200 wrote:The haze itself as we have it here its likely a fertilizer. As long as it does not obstruct the sun light significantly and there is some rain around it may be beneficial for the plant kingdom.
Plankton/algal blooms are pretty catastrophic for sea-life.

Example; 'red tides'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

'Some red tides are associated with the production of natural toxins, depletion of dissolved oxygen or other harmful effects, and are generally described as harmful algal blooms. The most conspicuous effects of these kinds of red tides are the associated wildlife mortalities of marine and coastal species of fish, birds, marine mammals, and other organisms.'
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 28 Oct 2015 5:19 pm

JR8, unlikely the case. The algae blooming is caused mostly by nitrates and phosphates. What is in the haze "ash" are things like carbon, silica, metal oxides etc etc.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 28 Oct 2015 8:52 pm

x9200 wrote:Also nothing particularly bad in the fires and the fire caused migrations. These are the processes present in the nature and are part of its cycles.
Wake up and smell the coffee mate. This is no process of nature, this is the wanton destruction of native habitat. There are no "fire caused migrations". Indigenous species are simply being destroyed in the name of profit.

Take a short trip to northern Malaysia and discover the hundreds, if not thousands of displaced elephants. Then, take a trip to Indonesia or at least read about it on the web before making such an asinine statement. Many hundreds of species are in danger of extinction due to loss of habitat, particularly the orangutan, all in the name of palm oil plantations and unregulated cutting of trees.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 29 Oct 2015 10:57 pm

x9200 wrote:Also nothing particularly bad in the fires and the fire caused migrations. These are the processes present in the nature and are part of its cycles.
Wake up and smell the coffee II

http://orangutan.or.id/emergency-rescue ... ing-fires/

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 29 Oct 2015 11:14 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Wake up and smell the coffee II

http://orangutan.or.id/emergency-rescue ... ing-fires/
http://content.time.com/time/photogalle ... 64,00.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushfires_in_Australia

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 08 Nov 2015 4:14 am

One more example of that "natural cycle" you were talking about... NOT!!!!

https://www.thedodo.com/orangutan-with- ... 53034.html

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 09 Nov 2015 11:48 am

It's not that you don't make valid points. It is more that what I said is of a different perspective and localization. We are broadcasting and receiving using completely different wavelengths so I really don't think it makes any sense to continue.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 12:11 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Big difference between natural gas and bio diesel. Compressed natural gas conversions can be readily done, many taxis in KL and Hong Kong are converted, I think some in Singapore as well. Big tank in trunk, no place to put luggage. Mainly consists of carburetor change out and ignition timing.
On a car with a carburetor its pretty easy. Attach adapter ring / mixer to the air intake, gas hose attaches to a nozzle on the ring, attach air intake hose to the adapter ring. A few years back, when it was legal to do it in the UK, I fitted this simple system to a Rover 827i. No need to change the carb. Not the most efficient implementation but it worked fine. I also went for the option of the doughnut tank in the spare wheel well which at least provided the option of retaining all the trunk space and lucky I never had a puncture when the spare was not on board!

I later had a system professionally fitted to a Jeep Grand Cherokee with fuel injection and that does mean replacing the injectors and is much more expensive.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 12:14 pm

Note I am not implying the Rover had a carb! The rudimentary system I fitted also worked in cars with carbs. Anyway it's a moot point as the OP most likely has a car with fuel injection.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 7:32 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Note I am not implying the Rover had a carb! The rudimentary system I fitted also worked in cars with carbs. Anyway it's a moot point as the OP most likely has a car with fuel injection.
And... LTA probably has a slather of regulations regarding such changes.