Singapore Expats

Date Restaurant Recommendation

Share your favourite eating haunts!
Silverhawk24

Date Restaurant Recommendation

Post by Silverhawk24 » Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:26 pm

Need a rec post haste for next Saturday. Price not an issue, but too fancy usually sends wrong signal... Looking for a "cool" place or maybe a hidden gem. Western food... Sushi. Smaller prob better. Tall order... Need help

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Date Restaurant Recommendation

Post by JR8 » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 5:01 am

Do you think it might be better if you go somewhere that you're familiar and comfortable with? For example if you choose a place, even if it's perceived as 'flash', then maybe you choose it because you know and like it rather than you're setting out to impress?

Can you narrow down what the other party enjoys or might suggest? I could suggest places, but I think your both being at ease/comfortable there is clearly a primary goal. So if it's early days don't pitch over-high and risk alienating or intimidating the other side. Simply showing consideration as to the other party trumps trying to impress IMO, esp. when it's early days. Pitching the bar over-high at the outset can induce fear of an expectation that you're expecting reciprocation (i.e. in bed). Perhaps only more so if it's a place you're not familiar with.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 8:49 am

JR8, he didn't specify who was going to be the other party. It might be his boss! Hope he's not expecting reciprocation(i.e. :o ) :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 10:07 am

He wrote "Date restaurant..." unless he meant a palm tree fruit this probably leaves his boss outside of the venue.

Silverhawk24

Post by Silverhawk24 » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 10:50 am

JR8 wrote:Do you think it might be better if you go somewhere that you're familiar and comfortable with? For example if you choose a place, even if it's perceived as 'flash', then maybe you choose it because you know and like it rather than you're setting out to impress?

Can you narrow down what the other party enjoys or might suggest? I could suggest places, but I think your both being at ease/comfortable there is clearly a primary goal. So if it's early days don't pitch over-high and risk alienating or intimidating the other side. Simply showing consideration as to the other party trumps trying to impress IMO, esp. when it's early days. Pitching the bar over-high at the outset can induce fear of an expectation that you're expecting reciprocation (i.e. in bed). Perhaps only more so if it's a place you're not familiar with.
I'm sorry, I must have accidently posted this is the Ethics forum... thanks for your unsolicited view on topics unrelated. You've judged me wrong... how intent / expectation even entered the discussion is interesting.

We've learned about you, however... let's start the healing process... do you want to share with us why you wrote the novella above?

Google doesn't make suppositions, then pose saccharin ethical questions. I will consult there. Thanks

You ever feel like

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Date Restaurant Recommendation

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 8:04 pm

Silverhawk24 wrote: We've learned about you, however... let's start the healing process... do you want to share with us why you wrote the novella above?
Interesting choice of words ...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 8:54 pm

Frankly, I think JR8 has usurped the title for lengthy off the topic irrelevant responses from ksl, (may he rest in peace). ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 9:33 pm

Silverhawk24 wrote: I'm sorry, I must have accidently posted this is the Ethics forum... thanks for your unsolicited view on topics unrelated. You've judged me wrong... how intent / expectation even entered the discussion is interesting.
We've learned about you, however... let's start the healing process... do you want to share with us why you wrote the novella above?
Google doesn't make suppositions, then pose saccharin ethical questions. I will consult there. Thanks
You ever feel like
Lol! Going out on a 'date' does conjure up images of youthful fumbling as to how to pitch it.
I'm not sure how a date can be framed without gauging intent and expectation, just about every human interaction requires it.
You've learned about me!? LOL! :lol: [No, I rather doubt that].
Good luck with charming your date.

p.s. [Apols SMS: am I going on too long, I tried especially hard not to ramble ;;)]

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 10:38 pm

Just havin' a poke. You seem to be bored at your new locale. Spending more time browsing are you?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 11:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Just havin' a poke. You seem to be bored at your new locale. Spending more time browsing are you?
Hehehe - Oh I know, 'I've learned about you' :lol: :cool:

It's a hardship posting, dangerous at times to go out, winter, been raining for two weeks + the rest (no English media but that on-line etc) = makes it very easy to stay at home and chat during my frequent coffee breaks during down-time :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Oct 2015 1:34 pm

:devil:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 26 Oct 2015 7:17 am

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Just havin' a poke. You seem to be bored at your new locale. Spending more time browsing are you?
Hehehe - Oh I know, 'I've learned about you' :lol: :cool:

It's a hardship posting, dangerous at times to go out[..]
It's a nice play of the words (BTW) but I always wondered what makes people to seriously respond to such posts. Wasn't it clear that you had like 70% chance to end up with the response of the OP like that?