Singapore Expats

chances for successful application of citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
eeorh

chances for successful application of citizenship

Post by eeorh » Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:53 pm

Hi all:)

Just want some reassurance on this citizenship thing..
I ve been staying in Singapore since 7 and have been SPR for more than 5 years. Recently i ve just started working (almost 6 months), my job pays $2.5k inclusive of cpf.

if i were to apply for citizenship now, how are my chances? or should i work for a few more months and then apply?

Candy Soepratsono

Re: chances for successful application of citizenship

Post by Candy Soepratsono » Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:10 pm

I heard that to successfully apply for Singapore citizenship you need to be earning around S$5000/month.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 8:51 am

I've seen people getting SC with 3.5K and with 15K. I don't think there is a 'recommended' median at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Candy Soepratsono

Post by Candy Soepratsono » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 3:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've seen people getting SC with 3.5K and with 15K. I don't think there is a 'recommended' median at all.
My brother monthly salary was $2.8k and is a PR for 2 years. He went to apply for citizenship recently and was rejected. The first question they asked was "how much is your monthly income?" There was another guy queuing in front of him, his salary is S$5k and he went on for further interviews.

eeorh

Post by eeorh » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 3:57 pm

wah sian. but i ve been in singapore for 17 years. i think its about time they give some chance

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 5:08 pm

Candy Soepratsono wrote: My brother monthly salary was $2.8k and is a PR for 2 years. He went to apply for citizenship recently and was rejected. The first question they asked was "how much is your monthly income?" There was another guy queuing in front of him, his salary is S$5k and he went on for further interviews.
You are basing your answer to the OP based on a single instance you know about? Seriously? They need you back in Jakarta to help with the propaganda machine there. Sounds just about as reliable. There is a lot more taken into consideration than just salary. In fact, I reckon salary is the least important, truth be known.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Candy Soepratsono

Post by Candy Soepratsono » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 6:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Candy Soepratsono wrote: My brother monthly salary was $2.8k and is a PR for 2 years. He went to apply for citizenship recently and was rejected. The first question they asked was "how much is your monthly income?" There was another guy queuing in front of him, his salary is S$5k and he went on for further interviews.
You are basing your answer to the OP based on a single instance you know about? Seriously? They need you back in Jakarta to help with the propaganda machine there. Sounds just about as reliable. There is a lot more taken into consideration than just salary. In fact, I reckon salary is the least important, truth be known.
Yeah, it is easy to "reckon" and plus you are the moderator so I better be careful on what I said here. This is my final post here thanks.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 7:54 pm

Plus we have about 10 years of anecdotal evidence from our posters which seems to negate that what you espouse. Especially when it comes to seeing trends. A little research in our archives wouldn't have hurt you. Yeah, maybe you should stick with cgi. That way you can design things exactly the way your mind's eye seems to work.

eeorh

Post by eeorh » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 8:25 pm

wah chill leh people. i just need some answers and suggestions dont get into arguments pls.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 9:03 pm

Are you a Malaysia Chinese female? If so, go ahead and try. It seems to be the flavour of the year for PRs. If it fails (in all probability), and you are as noted above, give a another two years and reapply. Ideally you should have two years or three tax returns under your belt before applying, although the website says you only need to be working for 6 months to apply. Applying and receiving are two different things altogether. Myself, I wouldn't bother applying until I'd been working for a minimum of 2 years.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: chances for successful application of citizenship

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 9:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Are you a Malaysia Chinese female? If so, go ahead and try. It seems to be the flavour of the year for PRs. If it fails (in all probability), and you are as noted above, give a another two years and reapply. Ideally you should have two years or three tax returns under your belt before applying, although the website says you only need to be working for 6 months to apply. Applying and receiving are two different things altogether. Myself, I wouldn't bother applying until I'd been working for a minimum of 2 years.
From my numerous Malaysian friends, even for them, those who applied after 2 years got 100% success.

Some of Those who applied earlier got rejected but after another 2 years wait it was plain sailing.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: chances for successful application of citizenship

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 9:07 pm

Candy Soepratsono wrote: Yeah, it is easy to "reckon" and plus you are the moderator so I better be careful on what I said here. This is my final post here thanks.

Are you of Chinese descent ?

eeorh

Post by eeorh » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 9:27 pm

yeah I'm from China, came to singapore since 7. now I'm 25 years old. I just graduated recently so i ve only worked for about 6 months. Im pretty much fixed over here in Singapore.. planning to try to apply around march 2016. Dont know if i can stay in my job for 2 years=.=

rockstar_sg

Post by rockstar_sg » Mon, 26 Oct 2015 11:42 am

Your chances are very very slim. You really need to have 2 more times of the salary. Anything 6K+ will do. I even wonder how did the PR approved under 3K.

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Mon, 26 Oct 2015 11:58 am

Regarding salary, like what SMS said, it's not AS important as other factors. In any case, potential to earn > what you currently earn. Which is why they care more about your education and the industry you are in, rather than what you currently make.

However, salary does matter in the sense that when you actually go down to submit your application at ICA, they might not even accept it if your salary is too low. what is too low? No idea. ICA won't disclose it because it differs for each case. For example, I tried to apply for SC with a salary of 3k/month. Was told not eligible (note: not being eligible for application and rejected application are two completely different things here). My race is Pakistani tho. If a Msian chinese were to apply with 3k/month, i am sure the application will be accepted as we have seen here in the forums with Msian chinese successfully being able to apply with salary even lower than that.