Singapore Expats Forum

so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
eeorh
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:28 pm

so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by eeorh » Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:38 pm

Hi all,

I ve recently moved into this really beautiful new condo with my roommate. Everything seems great until a month after i moved in the curtain at the balcony fell off (curtain track was bent!) I was really shocked because firstly i didn't expect the wind to be so strong, and secondly i definitely didn't expect the quality of the curtain track to be so lousy.
So i contacted my agent (the landlord is a company so i dont ever get to speak to the landlord), and although i tried to explain to her it fell because of wind, and the tracks weren't even of good quality in the first place, how the hell do i even begin maintaining it??!! But being a usual agent she told me a lot of useless stuff and it all concludes that i still gotta pay for the repairs.
I mean... seriously.. just use common sense please. If its my fault that it dropped i would gladly pay for the repair. But i didn't even pull it! and I'm not hercules how do i even bend a damn metal bar.
so bottom line is.. no matter how reluctant i am, i still gotta fork out that cash and fix it(its like paying for the landlord's negligence, dont they know not to install cheap shit in the house)
theres this part on the contract that says tenant to pay the first $150 of any repair and landlord to pay the rest. The guy that the agent recommended me quoted $100.

really is it just me or everything is getting really expensive now.
what should i do in this case? should i just bleed my wallet to settle this (pay that damn $100)/leave it be so at the end of the lease everyone can see how BENT the metal piece is/get my own curtain track elsewhere thats cheaper maybe along little india. :-|

Singapore Property Search

 

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36272
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 8:17 am

Do you have airconditioning in your condo? If so, I reckon the LL expected you to use the AIRCON instead of leaving the windows wide open, especially with all this haze.

Just kidding. Most LLs are a pain in the arse and their agents are even worse. Yes, you will have to have it fixed, but I don't think you need to use their recommendations as to whom to use. But it will have to be of at least similar quality (I use the term loosely).

If it was hanging properly when you rented the place, I reckon there's nothing to be done 'cept fix it and pay the cost.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9409
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by x9200 » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 10:00 am

eeorh wrote:Hi all,

I ve recently moved into this really beautiful new condo with my roommate. Everything seems great until a month after i moved in the curtain at the balcony fell off (curtain track was bent!) I was really shocked because firstly i didn't expect the wind to be so strong, and secondly i definitely didn't expect the quality of the curtain track to be so lousy.
So i contacted my agent (the landlord is a company so i dont ever get to speak to the landlord), and although i tried to explain to her it fell because of wind, and the tracks weren't even of good quality in the first place, how the hell do i even begin maintaining it??!! But being a usual agent she told me a lot of useless stuff and it all concludes that i still gotta pay for the repairs.
I mean... seriously.. just use common sense please. If its my fault that it dropped i would gladly pay for the repair. But i didn't even pull it! and I'm not hercules how do i even bend a damn metal bar.
Let's clarify first this part, the track was so lousy that when the wind blew it dropped down and bent yet at the same it was so strong that an average adult (I assume) could not bend it?

eeorh
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:28 pm

Re: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by eeorh » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 2:10 pm

i tried bending it back i couldn't.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36272
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 2:17 pm

Done try to do chin up with the next one. ;-)

eeorh
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:28 pm

Re: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by eeorh » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 2:26 pm

not funny leh i called up the agent 4 to 5 times already not even sure if the agent is conveying my message properly to the landlord. the landlord is so non-existence

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RE: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 9:13 pm

eeorh wrote: theres this part on the contract that says tenant to pay the first $150 of any repair and landlord to pay the rest. The guy that the agent recommended me quoted $100.

really is it just me or everything is getting really expensive now.
what should i do in this case? should i just bleed my wallet to settle this (pay that damn $100)/leave it be so at the end of the lease everyone can see how BENT the metal piece is/get my own curtain track elsewhere thats cheaper maybe along little india. :-|
If you read some of the past posts here, you will know that most of the time, the repairs miraculously never go past the 100$ or 150$ specified in the contract.

And that includes Landlord appointed aircon service men who discover faults during servicing and guess how much the repairs cost ? Image shockingly always below the limit specified in the contract.

Try and tell the agent another professional guy quoted 400$ for proper repair and ask if you can go ahead ..

eeorh
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:28 pm

Re: RE: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by eeorh » Sat, 24 Oct 2015 9:28 pm

ecureilx wrote:
eeorh wrote: theres this part on the contract that says tenant to pay the first $150 of any repair and landlord to pay the rest. The guy that the agent recommended me quoted $100.

really is it just me or everything is getting really expensive now.
what should i do in this case? should i just bleed my wallet to settle this (pay that damn $100)/leave it be so at the end of the lease everyone can see how BENT the metal piece is/get my own curtain track elsewhere thats cheaper maybe along little india. :-|
If you read some of the past posts here, you will know that most of the time, the repairs miraculously never go past the 100$ or 150$ specified in the contract.

And that includes Landlord appointed aircon service men who discover faults during servicing and guess how much the repairs cost ? Image shockingly always below the limit specified in the contract.

Try and tell the agent another professional guy quoted 400$ for proper repair and ask if you can go ahead ..

wow that sounds like a brilliant idea u know what maybe i ll do that! haha

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Re: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 25 Oct 2015 4:47 am

There is no sense and sensibility whatsoever, I asked the landlord if it was ok change the ceiling lamps to led as they consume less electricity and they don't want to do it for aesthetic reasons lol.. Its the same ceiling lamp just an led bulb as opposed to a cfc..
God I want to cringe.
Ex 2 : One of the Walls is damp and needs water proofing and also treatment to prevent mould.

Answer: Landlord has already tried that, doesn't work so we just paint over the wall each year, so its like layers of paint that's just rotten and damp and crusty.
Basically I give these people evidence that if they don't fix their walls in time the wall is headed for a disaster, they acknowledge the problem and choose to ignore it. Oh well I'm going to make them include a clause in the contract to mention the point that I'm not responsible for their freak mould infested damp wall.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RE: Re: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 25 Oct 2015 10:26 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:There is no sense and sensibility whatsoever, I asked the landlord if it was ok change the ceiling lamps to led as they consume less electricity and they don't want to do it for aesthetic reasons lol.. Its the same ceiling lamp just an led bulb as opposed to a cfc...
Just switch to LED and when you leave, put back the higher power consuming lamps

I was in an apartment with halogen ceiling lamps, and bought floor standing Lamps from IKEA.

I still recall the way landlord was rolling his eyes when he found out that I am not using his Aesthetically correct halogen ..never mind sauna effect from halogen.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9409
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: RE: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by x9200 » Sun, 25 Oct 2015 10:45 am

eeorh wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
eeorh wrote: theres this part on the contract that says tenant to pay the first $150 of any repair and landlord to pay the rest. The guy that the agent recommended me quoted $100.

really is it just me or everything is getting really expensive now.
what should i do in this case? should i just bleed my wallet to settle this (pay that damn $100)/leave it be so at the end of the lease everyone can see how BENT the metal piece is/get my own curtain track elsewhere thats cheaper maybe along little india. :-|
If you read some of the past posts here, you will know that most of the time, the repairs miraculously never go past the 100$ or 150$ specified in the contract.

And that includes Landlord appointed aircon service men who discover faults during servicing and guess how much the repairs cost ? Image shockingly always below the limit specified in the contract.

Try and tell the agent another professional guy quoted 400$ for proper repair and ask if you can go ahead ..

wow that sounds like a brilliant idea u know what maybe i ll do that! haha
Bad idea. If this is a company they will just arrange for their own repairman or if they are a big one, they may either pay the excess (few hundred bucks is nothing for them) or it may nicely backfire at you. For the later one, they may just accuse you the damage was caused by your negligence and I don't really think this goes under the $150 clause. If this is a company, they have everything prepared for such cases, lawyers included. Plus a lot of experience.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9409
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by x9200 » Sun, 25 Oct 2015 11:01 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:There is no sense and sensibility whatsoever, I asked the landlord if it was ok change the ceiling lamps to led as they consume less electricity and they don't want to do it for aesthetic reasons lol.. Its the same ceiling lamp just an led bulb as opposed to a cfc..
God I want to cringe.
Why on earth you ask your LL for permission to change the bulbs!? Do you also ask him each time you need to flush the toilet? It looks like you have a submissive nature and prefer to be micromanaged. For each new flat we moved in I change the lights and other things and nobody ever said a word about it. Of course when I move out everything is restored.
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Ex 2 : One of the Walls is damp and needs water proofing and also treatment to prevent mould.

Answer: Landlord has already tried that, doesn't work so we just paint over the wall each year, so its like layers of paint that's just rotten and damp and crusty.
Basically I give these people evidence that if they don't fix their walls in time the wall is headed for a disaster, they acknowledge the problem and choose to ignore it. Oh well I'm going to make them include a clause in the contract to mention the point that I'm not responsible for their freak mould infested damp wall.
Ask the LL to lower your rent because your rental contract was not about a damp hole. Suggest to lower it by 20%. May help to fix the issue.

eeorh
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:28 pm

Re: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by eeorh » Sun, 25 Oct 2015 5:18 pm

anyways i told the agent to find out which bloody company did the curtain tracks but she kept giving me some sort of bullshit. i dont understand why its so difficult to find out things like that

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RE: Re: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 25 Oct 2015 9:47 pm

eeorh wrote:anyways i told the agent to find out which bloody company did the curtain tracks but she kept giving me some sort of bullshit. i dont understand why its so difficult to find out things like that
Because if the house is owned by a company, fat chance it is owned by a foreign investor , and high chance that this isn't the only property of that company

So the agent has no benefit doing too much work, when there is guaranteed residual income for such landlords

Even if you threaten to leave I have seen agents who wouldn't bother because such landlords don't ask for refund for early termination etc.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: so tenant have no rights even if its common sense???

Post by JR8 » Mon, 26 Oct 2015 2:05 am

eeorh wrote:anyways i told the agent to find out which bloody company did the curtain tracks but she kept giving me some sort of bullshit. i dont understand why its so difficult to find out things like that
Same scenario we have (in another country, not SG), the shower floods the bathroom floor each morning, probably from the drainage under the shower tray. Have a long shower there's lot's of water, it risks flowing into the hall outside and damaging the timber floor in the hallway outside. Agent interested - nope! Fits the pattern of them not wishing to get anything fixed.

I can only imagine the agent doesn't want to 'bother' the landlord with a tenant she signed up that would cause work/expense.

If I were the LL I would not be happy. If the timber floor is damaged when we leave and the LL/agent makes a claim vs the depo, then the reply will be 'Well, we told you didn't we, and we are NOT responsible for repairs, right!?'.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests