Singapore Expats

Has anyone learnt to ride here? What training school?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
singaporeoz

Has anyone learnt to ride here? What training school?

Post by singaporeoz » Fri, 16 Oct 2015 9:28 pm

Hi all

Wondering if any of you expats have learnt to ride a motorcycle here?

What riding school did you use and were you happy with the school and the instructors?

Thanks.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Has anyone learnt to ride here? What training school?

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Oct 2015 9:34 pm

You will be very lucky to get your class 2B license in six months. It takes most people closer to a year. There are 3 or 4 driving centers in Singapore, SSDC, Bukit Batok, and Comfort Delgro come to mind.

singaporeoz

Post by singaporeoz » Fri, 16 Oct 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks for that. Yes, I'm aware of the procedure and what schools are available, was hoping to get some feedback on those schools/instructors, although I'm assuming they all follow a similar syllabus so probably isn't much between them, but never hurts to ask :)

I think the length of time is great, in Australia you can do a 2 day, 3.5hrs per day (total 7 hours) pre-learner course in college grounds and can then ride freely on the streets on your learners permit......ridiculous!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 16 Oct 2015 10:15 pm

The rider courses are pretty closely controlled by the traffic police and AFAIK all the riding circuits and techniques taught are the same. My American friend was taking riding courses at Bukit Batok and thought the instructors were good, but without a comparison, who knows what that means.

The total training package is overkill to me, and considering what crappy riders a large portion of Singapore's bikers are, it doesn't seem like much is retained.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 17 Oct 2015 8:02 am

singaporeoz wrote:Hi all

Wondering if any of you expats have learnt to ride a motorcycle here?

What riding school did you use and were you happy with the school and the instructors?

Thanks.
I have. I have gone through the whole courses 2b, 2a and 2.
I have done it in the Bukit Batok Driving Centre (was closest to my place), but I don't think it matters.

The instructors within the school were roughly at the same level. Generally reasonable. The courses and the tests highly emphasise on the technique (well, some aspects of it). They are mostly to prepare you to the road tests but you will learn basic riding for sure. You do it on your own pace, you can (or have to) repeat units, you can get some extra time (paid) on the circuit if you want to practice. I think it is generally ok.
I took it over 10y ago, but I don't expect anything changed significantly. Whether one finds it difficult / in what time you may be able to complete depends IMHO on the person (specific type of the predispositions required).