Singapore Expats

Chances of employment on DP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
irene83

Chances of employment on DP

Post by irene83 » Tue, 29 Sep 2015 7:38 pm

I am new to Singapore, employed at a local Uni since this Fall semester. I came with a partner who I've been with for a while. Both of us are from the US and more recently we have been living in a country where my partner could automatically get residency tied to my work visa upon submitting proof of cohabitation (we are not legally married, primarily because we don't really see the point). Obviously, it is a different story in Singapore and he had to enter on a tourist pass. Anyways, he's been looking for a job for the past few months, applying in the hundreds but has gotten very little bites. (He has background working in consumer finances for over a decade for major American banks; has a BA in Finance from the US)

If nothing pans out over the next few months, we will have to make some sort of decision since he won't be able to keep living in Singapore. Him not working is out of the question at this point, not really a financial issue, but more of an issue of life preference. The easiest thing for him to do (work wise) would be to go back to the US and work there, and we arrange some sort of international living arrangement. But obviously that would take a toll on other aspects of our relationship.

We are also considering getting married and applying for a DP for him, but we can't find concrete information on whether that would open up job prospects in Singapore. For someone with his background, would it get much easier for him to find work if he were on a DP? Also what type of jobs would having a DP open up? My guess is large companies with resources to sponsor EPs won't necessary demand him more just because he is on DP? So it would only be jobs that pay much lower than the US willing to hire him. Is this indeed the case?

I'd appreciate any advice, opinions from seasoned expats. Thanks in advance!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Chances of employment on DP

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 29 Sep 2015 10:07 pm

Read the threads in this forum to do with LOC and Letter of Consent. There are two approaches. First is that someone on a DP can work for a firm with a LOC. Second is that he can can form his own business, apply for LOC and work as freelancer.