Singapore Expats Forum
 

Picking up cat from airport

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

One World International School
Post Reply
JTaillandier
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 4:42 pm

Picking up cat from airport

Post by JTaillandier » Sun, 27 Sep 2015 4:39 pm

Hi, I'm already living in Singapore and am bringing across a kitten from Australia. The breeder has put me in touch with a pet travel agent but I would like to hear experiences from people who have gone to Changi themselves to clear their pet and take it home.

I understand you have to travel to a couple of different points once at the airport so am going to book a pet taxi to ferry me around. Any tips or experiences to tell me about this process? Is it pretty straightforward?

I'm trying to book the cat on a flight which arrives in the morning as opposed to the evening, because I'm worried about missing the deadline - they close at 10.30pm

Thanks!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RE: Picking up cat from airport

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 27 Sep 2015 8:05 pm

JTaillandier wrote:Hi, I'm already living in Singapore and am bringing across a kitten from Australia. The breeder has put me in touch with a pet travel agent but I would like to hear experiences from people who have gone to Changi themselves to clear their pet and take it home.

I understand you have to travel to a couple of different points once at the airport so am going to book a pet taxi to ferry me around. Any tips or experiences to tell me about this process? Is it pretty straightforward?

I'm trying to book the cat on a flight which arrives in the morning as opposed to the evening, because I'm worried about missing the deadline - they close at 10.30pm

Thanks!
Your cat doesn't go into quarantine ?

Do look up AVA website for details, as I doubt you can just pick the kitten and take her home

nzmarkj
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat, 19 May 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Picking up cat from airport

Post by nzmarkj » Sun, 27 Sep 2015 8:39 pm

Hi, I did this myself about three years ago, but didn't have the foresight to book a taxi for the duration. At the freight entrance I had to swap my Id card for an airport pass, then I got dropped off at the airline freight handling desk, took my papers in, they sent me upstairs to pick up the cat. Next stop is the AVA vet check, which is a distance away, the airline staff gave me a map, but the kind manager drove me over there anyway, hung around for a quick vet check, then dropped me off near the customs office at the entrance: there is a particular window you need to go to. The people in the process are quite helpful in telling you where to go next. Saved a couple of hundred dollars in fees doing it myself.

Ecurelix: no quarantine is required if the animal is from UK, Aus or NZ, but lots of checks and injections required in the weeks leading up to shipping.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RE: Re: Picking up cat from airport

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 27 Sep 2015 9:14 pm

nzmarkj wrote: Ecurelix: no quarantine is required if the animal is from UK, Aus or NZ, but lots of checks and injections required in the weeks leading up to shipping.
Interesting to know.

And thanks for sharing your experience ...

JTaillandier
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Picking up cat from airport

Post by JTaillandier » Sun, 27 Sep 2015 9:51 pm

nzmarkj wrote:Hi, I did this myself about three years ago, but didn't have the foresight to book a taxi for the duration. At the freight entrance I had to swap my Id card for an airport pass, then I got dropped off at the airline freight handling desk, took my papers in, they sent me upstairs to pick up the cat. Next stop is the AVA vet check, which is a distance away, the airline staff gave me a map, but the kind manager drove me over there anyway, hung around for a quick vet check, then dropped me off near the customs office at the entrance: there is a particular window you need to go to. The people in the process are quite helpful in telling you where to go next. Saved a couple of hundred dollars in fees doing it myself.

Ecurelix: no quarantine is required if the animal is from UK, Aus or NZ, but lots of checks and injections required in the weeks leading up to shipping.
Great, thanks so much for your reply. All up how long did it take you? And off topic, but had the cat been to the toilet in the cage? I'm worried the poor thing will be covered in wee and/or poo! Can they use a litter tray at the vet? Just want to be prepared as possible!

And yes, no quarantine coming from Australia fortunately. Would be nice if this were reciprocal!

nzmarkj
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat, 19 May 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Picking up cat from airport

Post by nzmarkj » Mon, 28 Sep 2015 10:32 am

Hi, the process itself only takes about an hour.

Both my pets (dog and cat) showed a remarkable ability to "hold it all in", but if you are worried, there is nothing to stop you taking litter and cleaning materials and sorting out your kitten while at the AVA vet.

Best of luck.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 11:19 am

Re: Picking up cat from airport

Post by menudown » Mon, 28 Sep 2015 11:32 am

I thought all animals/pets need quarantine..but anyway great info, especially to those intend to bring in their pets in future.

JTaillandier
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Picking up cat from airport

Post by JTaillandier » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 2:54 pm

nzmarkj wrote:Hi, the process itself only takes about an hour.

Both my pets (dog and cat) showed a remarkable ability to "hold it all in", but if you are worried, there is nothing to stop you taking litter and cleaning materials and sorting out your kitten while at the AVA vet.

Best of luck.
Thanks, I think I'll do that. Oh, another question - did you have to pay import tax on your cat? Thank you

nzmarkj
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat, 19 May 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Picking up cat from airport

Post by nzmarkj » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 7:58 pm

Well, I wasn't charged tax on the cat (declared value $0.50) or dog (declared value $850). sounds like your kitten may be worth a bit more. There are plenty of spare kittens here, btw i assume your agent in your country is making sure all paperwork, vaccinations, vet declarations are all in order. That is quite complicated, compared with the picking up side.

JTaillandier
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Picking up cat from airport

Post by JTaillandier » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 9:08 am

Thanks for your replies. I'm confused about another thing - whether I need to apply for a customs permit or not.

Yes, my agent in Australia is handling the vet checks, vaccinations, paperwork etc. But on my end I need to apply for the AVA licence (and possibly the customs permit). Does anyone know more about this?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests