Singapore Expats Forum

SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
rie.p
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 21 Sep 2015

SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby rie.p » Mon, 21 Sep 2015 5:20 pm

Hello everyone!

Anxiously waiting for my LTVP application status and wondering why ICA takes more than 6 weeks to process (website said up to 6 weeks - most people get within like 3-5 weeks)?! Wonder if any experienced chap or if you have any idea/advice to contribute. Thanks. Also hope others with same situation may find this post useful.

+ A little of my background:
Handsome Vietnamese NR (guy) happily married pretty local SC wife, relocated to Singapore in early Aug anxiously waiting for LTVP status.

- We were Singapore's private uni classmates (Australian uni) from 2011-2012, only to fall in love at the last term.

- Went back Vietnam to work since 2012 until end July 2015 as finished by project job duty.

- 2012-2015 we lovebirds took turns to fly to and fro looking for each other over long weekends/holidays. Me flew over like 3-4 times per year she 2-3 times.

- Got our Pre-marriage LTVP Assessment done and received successful LLE in Jan 2015, within 2 weeks (usually up to 4 weeks).

- It was a surprise to me coz she earns like 2k+ only just started work a year ago (she stucked 1 module which took her 1 more year to complete). But one thing special was her CPF (i think housing acc.) got like 20-30k coz her dad gave her (no idea how CPF works or details....). My salary in VN is like 800 USD monthly, which is considerably high for my junior exec level but i know its nothing here. I was Coordinating/scribe a 22+ USD million Fabric Mills project of a MNC.

- ROM in Singapore and got married earlier this year in March 2015. Church wedding ceremony done by authorized pastor & reception in Singapore. Banquet in Vietnam. All in March 2015. Never bother to declare/register with Vietnam authority coz they are troublesome and I dont like stupid Communists LOL

- Stayed in Vn until end July 2015 to complete my job duty. I think my boss never removed my name from company HR system coz he is scared if the project sucks he may lure me come back.

- Relocated to Sing early Aug 2015 and applied LTVP immediately on the arrival date. Need to be in Singapore to apply as they need DE Card number.

- SVP extended from 30 to 60 days (early Oct).

- Process up to 6 weeks (last Friday was full 6w) but now is Monday of 7 weeks. still receiving attention.

- Called ICA last Friday / in email earlier my enquiries they said some cases may take longer. In the phone they said the result may come any time soon.

--------------------------------my questions are
1. If my application takes too long to proceed, do u think it's likely to be a rejection or approval? i think if kena rejected will be rejected in 2 weeks liao.. if they care to do checking until more than 6 weeks what do u think?

2. in between March-July my SC spouse's family applied and got a new flat (they stayed with the granny earlier and did not have own flat). The new flat under my spouse and her younger sis name (thus their CPF withdrawn and their status as: "under HDB loan") -- coz the parents have no more chance to get loan from HDB alrd. They were thinking to take up Rennovation loan from bank under my spouse's name before I'm like: "plz at least wait until i collect LTVP"

Do you think her CPF-housing being withdrawn and the fact that she is now under HDB loan will be the factor affecting my application. In terms of finance? Will it cause ICA to imagine of something fishy?!

3. Have a very clean record criminally and financially except tagged along when my housemates picked mangoes along Pasir Panjang lol but nothing happened no one saw.

4. On March 2015 when I come here for my marriage preparation the officer asked "what is reason of stay" and I, being very honest, said "im here to get married" :???: instead of "VFR" which will let me go thru easily. but i never bothered to print any ROM appointment docs with me as my wife prep all (ok my fault) . so was escorted to 'interview room' with many historied Vietnameses/PRCs/India or Banglah... to be investiagted. anyway i was the first to be out after 2 hours after they verify that i really have ROM appointment and LLE. got asked the officer will that affect anything he said wont. Pls take note I was never been deported.

Subsequent VFR trips allowed entry normally.

Will it be the factor affecting?


--------------
i dont think they can imagine that we r marriage of convinience but they reject we can have all the selfie wefie airticket photos to include in appeal letter. worst one is to find MP.

Just hope they spend extra time so they could offer me PR (LOL im dreaming).

Let me know if u have any 2-cent thoughts ya. Many thanks. Will cont. updating. :)

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby bro75 » Mon, 21 Sep 2015 5:31 pm

Check your sponsor's emails (maybe in spam/junk folder) to see if you have received the notice from ICA that your social visit pass has been extended to some date. This email will precede the actual approval.

I would think that your chances of approval is high because you were pre-approved. But who knows?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby JR8 » Mon, 21 Sep 2015 6:24 pm

Try not to let it stress you. I can see why you are given how far ahead you are looking to the future (PR :)).

ICA are presumably running checks as best they can vs the VNese authorities. So the hold up on the critical path of your application is perhaps waiting for ICA to get that info.
The process can take time, but IME you can keep extending your SVP until ICA issue their decision.
One of the reasons it takes time is that ICA are busy (perhaps you have seen their policy blueprint for increasing the population of SG?). Plus they aren't in a rush, it might be perhaps an applicant ends up giving up on their application before it's decided, then they've demonstrated to ICA they're not the kind of person who merited an LTVP in the first place. In a way your patience is a test in itself.

Good luck, and since there is nothing you can do about it, do your best to have positive thoughts until the result comes through.

p.s. If you think the wait for an LTVP is bad, wait until you apply for PR... that's seems to have a wait (same reasons as with the LTVP) of at least a year.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
Archangel
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 22 Sep 2015

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby Archangel » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 6:47 pm

Hi Rie.p,

I think you have a good chance for LTVP as you managed to ROM here. You surely did the pre marriage stuff that they required. So just wait for your Approve in principal letter. Good luck and dont think too much.

User avatar
rie.p
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 21 Sep 2015

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby rie.p » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 6:13 am

Hi all,
It makes me wonder if ICA goes to this forum and see if got people complain waiting long long or not :lol:

My post was on 5+ pm and my in-principle approval came at 6+ pm! (email & online iEnquiry)
Thank you all for your words of wisdom/comfort ^_^

The only thing is that eAppointment is like earliest available date is 6 Nov whereby my SVP (30 days extended to 60 days expiring on 6 Oct)

So since I alrd extended it once, cannot extend online anymore, must come down ICA Lv. 4
Means another 29 days will cost me another $30
Also, since my current SVP pass max. is 89 days (extension under spouse of SC scheme) I CAN ONLY STAY TILL LIKE 3 NOV

So does it mean i need to come back, after 5 days (terms of extension) come back then completion of formalities???? But then isnt it my DE Card No. will be different?!

Called up ICA line, they said can come up ICA Lv.4 for extension and check if can complete formalities also or not

So i think while they said "strictly by appointment" and dont openly recommended walk-in appointment, for my case should accept walk-in.. (I think marrythaigirl blogspot also said) - expect long q & waiting time but i and my spouse are okay rather than complications. Maybe q at 6.30am lol

Just share my case, who knows if it gives info/ideas for other long-necked expats =]

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9787
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 6:54 am

rie.p wrote:Hi all,
It makes me wonder if ICA goes to this forum and see if got people complain waiting long long or not :lol:


Ah, you didn't know ? this board is closely watched by ICA and MOM, and every comment is carefully attended to :P

My post was on 5+ pm and my in-principle approval came at 6+ pm! (email & online iEnquiry)
Thank you all for your words of wisdom/comfort ^_^


Coincidence .. :)

The only thing is that eAppointment is like earliest available date is 6 Nov whereby my SVP (30 days extended to 60 days expiring on 6 Oct)


Others may say otherwise, but my suggestion is to go to ICA and ask for an extension in person and show the Approval letter

In some cases the counter staff directed for visa extension, which you can do for free, if your stay is less than 89 days from first arrival, or pay a visa fee.

In Some other cases, the counter staff directed to the counter to complete the LTVP paper work

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10562
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 8:00 am

Your problem is that you are handsome... Singapore only wants ugly immigrants so as not to compete against the local population. :)

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5245
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby the lynx » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 8:49 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Your problem is that you are handsome... Singapore only wants ugly immigrants so as not to compete against the local population. :)


Bwahahaha...!

Anyway, congratulations OP.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby JR8 » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 1:26 pm

I was in similar shoes. I.e I'd extended once on-line after filing my LTVP application. The LTVP was approved, but I couldn't get an appointment to complete formalities, prior to the renewed SVP expiring.

IIRC there was no obvious way around this (as with you!). I went down to ICA expecting to beg and plead, but IIRC they simply extended my SVP to beyond the appointment date.

p.s. What does it say on the IPA? I.e. the small-print. Have you checked to see what it says about if your SVP expires before your appointment date?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

faithandme
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 23 Sep 2015

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby faithandme » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 7:19 pm

congratulations ts.

i've applied pre marriage ltvp assessment 2 weeks + ago and the case is still pending.

though ica says that the process can take up to 4 weeks, but i see cases of success within 1-2 weeks.

is there anybody in the same boat?

i'm getting really anxious and stressed out as i do not want to go back to long distance relationship again. it's torturous.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby JR8 » Mon, 28 Sep 2015 4:06 pm

faithandme wrote:congratulations ts.
i've applied pre marriage ltvp assessment 2 weeks + ago and the case is still pending.
though ica says that the process can take up to 4 weeks, but i see cases of success within 1-2 weeks.
is there anybody in the same boat?
i'm getting really anxious and stressed out as i do not want to go back to long distance relationship again. it's torturous.


I think you need to try and let it flow over you. Stressing will gain you nothing, and ... just stress you. If you gave the application your best shot there is nothing more you can do.
No two applications are the same, so comparing vs others is futile.
If you see your future in SG then I expect you'll be going through this 'waiting game' in several other varieties. Sometimes the wait occurs intentionally, to ensure that your application is serious*. It's probably healthier to try and become philosophical about it now.

p.s. welcome to the forum


* - yep, some people really do apply and then change their mind a few weeks later, even before a decision has been made.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

faithandme
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 23 Sep 2015

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby faithandme » Sat, 03 Oct 2015 9:36 pm

JR8 wrote:
faithandme wrote:congratulations ts.
i've applied pre marriage ltvp assessment 2 weeks + ago and the case is still pending.
though ica says that the process can take up to 4 weeks, but i see cases of success within 1-2 weeks.
is there anybody in the same boat?
i'm getting really anxious and stressed out as i do not want to go back to long distance relationship again. it's torturous.


I think you need to try and let it flow over you. Stressing will gain you nothing, and ... just stress you. If you gave the application your best shot there is nothing more you can do.
No two applications are the same, so comparing vs others is futile.
If you see your future in SG then I expect you'll be going through this 'waiting game' in several other varieties. Sometimes the wait occurs intentionally, to ensure that your application is serious*. It's probably healthier to try and become philosophical about it now.

p.s. welcome to the forum


* - yep, some people really do apply and then change their mind a few weeks later, even before a decision has been made.


hey there, thanks for the advice

but since the ltvp means so much to us, there's no way i cannot be anxious about it

and the fact that she is holding a work permit now worries me a lot.
i've read around the forums that work permit holder or ex-work permit holders are not favoured by the ICA with regards to any kind of passes.

i'm refreshing my email inbox almost once every hour and praying hard the result is a positive one.

User avatar
LeeTheMan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 02 Sep 2017

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby LeeTheMan » Sat, 02 Sep 2017 1:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am anxious as well, congratulations rie.p for getting your LTP issued.

A little background about myself, I am a Korean guy (TALL, PALE and Handsome to some) HA. and married to a cute Singaporean wife.

Did anyone mentioned that the process in Singapore is very tedious, first the ROM then the LTVP assessment which and opps, as on one of my social playful trips here I actually got myself a work permit ( which I did not work here) and for ex work permit holders you actually have to get permission from Ministry of Manpower to marry the Singaporean ( I mean how odd is this?) I mean where is the freedom to fall in love and marry here.. ](*,) everything in Singapore is good, from the food to the cleanliness, down to safety of the traffic pedestrian crossings... Though they don't seem foreigner friendly when it comes to opening the doors of Singapore. If all options fails, I told her we should consider to head back to Busan (where I come from, not from the land of zombies or so you saw in the latest movie..) where the housing and the cars are so much more affordable.

House approx 3 bdrms and 2 Toilets approx SGD $180,000 I don't think this price will get you a 2 room flat in Singapore! :???:
Car Depending on make and model SGD $10,500-21,000 should get you a made in Korea Car

Thankfully all these took abit of time from the approval from MOM to marry to approval of LTVP assessment.

Now am actually in to the 5th week of LTP application and checking it online every other hour doesn't seem to help much with the status pending at " Your Long Term Pass Application is receiving attention"

Can anyone tell me besides sitting in front of my computer, playing starcraft, chewing on taccos or beef jerkies is going to speed up the process.

I am planning to buy a place with my newly wedded wife;- we have checked with HDB on the process and it seems it is only POSSIBLE for the application to take place AFTER my LTP is issued. Well its going to be more waiting time, I am sorry but in Korea we tend to be a little less patient when we come to this.

I am a pro gamer and she's in real estate management, we both are drawing about SGD$5,000-8,000 per month (varied but stable income)
Oh anyone could also advise is it possible for my wife to be my sponsor and apply simultaneously for PR since we are planning to stay here for the long-term? Or its more feasible to apply only after x-amount of years staying in Singapore? :roll:

Any advise is much appreciated! ;)
I am a patriot, just not a Kpop and Kdrama fan

Too overplayed :mrgreen:

" To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that's successful is a series of mistakes " Billie Joe A.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9787
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 02 Sep 2017 2:03 pm

LeeTheMan wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am anxious as well, congratulations rie.p for getting your LTP issued.

A little background about myself, I am a Korean guy (TALL, PALE and Handsome to some) HA. and married to a cute Singaporean wife.

Did anyone mentioned that the process in Singapore is very tedious, first the ROM then the LTVP assessment which and opps, as on one of my social playful trips here I actually got myself a work permit ( which I did not work here) and for ex work permit holders you actually have to get permission from Ministry of Manpower to marry the Singaporean ( I mean how odd is this?) I mean where is the freedom to fall in love and marry here.. ](*,) everything in Singapore is good, from the food to the cleanliness, down to safety of the traffic pedestrian crossings... Though they don't seem foreigner friendly when it comes to opening the doors of Singapore. If all options fails, I told her we should consider to head back to Busan (where I come from, not from the land of zombies or so you saw in the latest movie..) where the housing and the cars are so much more affordable.

House approx 3 bdrms and 2 Toilets approx SGD $180,000 I don't think this price will get you a 2 room flat in Singapore! :???:
Car Depending on make and model SGD $10,500-21,000 should get you a made in Korea Car

Thankfully all these took abit of time from the approval from MOM to marry to approval of LTVP assessment.

Now am actually in to the 5th week of LTP application and checking it online every other hour doesn't seem to help much with the status pending at " Your Long Term Pass Application is receiving attention"

Can anyone tell me besides sitting in front of my computer, playing starcraft, chewing on taccos or beef jerkies is going to speed up the process.

I am planning to buy a place with my newly wedded wife;- we have checked with HDB on the process and it seems it is only POSSIBLE for the application to take place AFTER my LTP is issued. Well its going to be more waiting time, I am sorry but in Korea we tend to be a little less patient when we come to this.

I am a pro gamer and she's in real estate management, we both are drawing about SGD$5,000-8,000 per month (varied but stable income)
Oh anyone could also advise is it possible for my wife to be my sponsor and apply simultaneously for PR since we are planning to stay here for the long-term? Or its more feasible to apply only after x-amount of years staying in Singapore? :roll:

Any advise is much appreciated! ;)
Mostly quoted for QFP :)

You have some kind words about the Singapore way of the govt helping couples getting hitched and making..

Welcome to Singapore. :)

About the processing, you can't do anything until you get a pass or fail.

My tea leaves say it's gonna be a pass.

More, take it easy, play more games, and if you believe in God, pay!

And don't start asking ICA for updates until you pass 3 months and no updates

Good luck.

User avatar
LeeTheMan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 02 Sep 2017

Re: SC-NR couple / LTVP process more than 6 weeks?!

Postby LeeTheMan » Sat, 02 Sep 2017 2:25 pm

LeeTheMan wrote:Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the reply. Pass 3 months? That's 12 weeks, time here passes painfully slow, well hopefully I will get the result before my younger sister gets hitched which will be in December. They will be coming to Singapore for the first time and I told them to probably go to Phuket (where I had spent my honeymoon)

So what is your take on PR applications? :-k

Are they going to let more Koreans in their doors? :king:

P.S. my wife lost her Identification card and it cost her SGD$300 and 3 months to replace! :shock:
I lost mine in Korea and it cost SGD$10 (8,000 won) and takes a week to replace :mrgreen:


ecureilx wrote:
Mostly quoted for QFP :)

You have some kind words about the Singapore way of the govt helping couples getting hitched and making..

Welcome to Singapore. :)

About the processing, you can't do anything until you get a pass or fail.

My tea leaves say it's gonna be a pass.

More, take it easy, play more games, and if you believe in God, pay!

And don't start asking ICA for updates until you pass 3 months and no updates

Good luck.
I am a patriot, just not a Kpop and Kdrama fan

Too overplayed :mrgreen:

" To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that's successful is a series of mistakes " Billie Joe A.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests