Singapore Expats

Reckless drivers

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
taxico
Director
Director

Re: Reckless drivers

Post by taxico » Fri, 09 Oct 2015 8:56 pm

we need less of this...

and more of these...

(in response to the OP) and more of this...

i ride a bike in singapore too... there's a lot to process visually if i want to stay safe (especially at the front).
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 09 Oct 2015 9:19 pm

The first video, unfortunately, it's a classic - just recall the infamous cab vs. ferrari accident in Bugis. Yet, hardly anybody checks left and right starting off from the traffic lights.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 10 Oct 2015 7:00 pm

The LTA is completely out of step with other advanced countries in how it operated the green man on large intersections. In Perth (a large country town) major intersections have ALL traffic lights turn red when the green man comes on. You can cross diagonally, straight across whatever and you know there should not be a car coming through.

Once again the phucking LTA screw the pedestrian.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Oct 2015 8:46 am

Oh gawd, the first motorcyclist got swept in that titanic speed. I hope he survives.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 12 Oct 2015 10:16 am

Looks like he survived:
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/t ... unning-red

Also note that for the sport car having such high end one was probably both contributing to being hit and saving the driver at the same time. Look how well this car survived the impact. It practically stopped the van while being hit from its side. It was almost like the van hit a large block of concrete.

nzmarkj

Post by nzmarkj » Mon, 12 Oct 2015 1:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:The LTA is completely out of step with other advanced countries in how it operated the green man on large intersections. In Perth (a large country town) major intersections have ALL traffic lights turn red when the green man comes on. You can cross diagonally, straight across whatever and you know there should not be a car coming through.

Same thing in Auckland, another large country town, it is called the Barnes Dance, after the traffic engineer that invented it. It takes the uncertainty out of turning drivers giving way to pedestrians. It would be interesting to see though how all those diagonal crossers fared when meeting in the middle in a kiasu culture.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Tue, 13 Oct 2015 5:40 pm

PNGMK wrote:The LTA is completely out of step with other advanced countries in how it operated the green man on large intersections. In Perth (a large country town) major intersections have ALL traffic lights turn red when the green man comes on. You can cross diagonally, straight across whatever and you know there should not be a car coming through.

There are some intersections like that in SG.

However, there's no reason that all intersections should be like this.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 14 Oct 2015 8:38 am

maneo wrote:

Oh where? I don't think I've seen it before. Would be nice to check it out haha.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 14 Oct 2015 8:54 am

I believe there used to be one on Orchard Rd, after Ngee Ang City, but I don't think it is there any longer.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 14 Oct 2015 9:10 am

x9200 wrote:I believe there used to be one on Orchard Rd, after Ngee Ang City, but I don't think it is there any longer.
Nope. Was there not long ago.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:11 am

maneo wrote:

I challenge you to name ONE intersection like that.

In return I'll tell you two that should be like that;

1. Novena - corner of Thompson Road and Newton/Moulmein - large complex intersection. Lunch time rush hour. People walk across and wait 10 mins to walk across the other half, clearly a diagonal crossing would speed everything up. SHUT THE WHOLE THING DOWN YOU LTA IDIOTS.

2. Toa Payoh - corner of Lor 4 and ToaPayoh Central (a T Junction). Classic car turning / hit people intersection. Lots of people wanting to cross diagonally. SHUT THE WHOLE INTERSECTION DOWN YOU LTA NEWBIES.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:21 am

PNGMK wrote:1. Novena - corner of Thompson Road and Newton/Moulmein - large complex intersection. Lunch time rush hour. People walk across and wait 10 mins to walk across the other half, clearly a diagonal crossing would speed everything up. SHUT THE WHOLE THING DOWN YOU LTA IDIOTS.
You're supposed to cross underground...if you can find the other ends.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:27 am

nakatago wrote:
PNGMK wrote:1. Novena - corner of Thompson Road and Newton/Moulmein - large complex intersection. Lunch time rush hour. People walk across and wait 10 mins to walk across the other half, clearly a diagonal crossing would speed everything up. SHUT THE WHOLE THING DOWN YOU LTA IDIOTS.
So an unpowered human being has to add another 200m at least to their tranverse across an intersection while a powered vehicle goes straight across? I HATE THE LTA. Those kunts are always favouring the car.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:39 am

PNGMK wrote:
nakatago wrote:
So an unpowered human being has to add another 200m at least to their tranverse across an intersection while a powered vehicle goes straight across? I HATE THE LTA. Those kunts are always favouring the car.
Check it out ,yo: http://./sg/noven ... 37882.html

Yeah; I've always been convinced that whoever's in charge does not BMW* and always gets around by driving.

There is also a crossing in Commonwealth avenue near Buona Vista where you have to cross 3 lights just to cross the street.

*bus-MRT-walk
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:47 am

PNGMK wrote:
I challenge you to name ONE intersection like that.
There is (was?) a diagonal crossing near Lau Pa Sat. Looking at Google I think it was Boon Tat / Robinson Rd. Noticeable because it's the only one I've seen in Sg.

And to your later point, Sg favours cars, pedestrians seem to be an inconvenient afterthought.