Singapore Expats

Reckless drivers

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reckless drivers

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 1:20 am

How to be careful ? Just wondering... when green man is in your favor ...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 2:29 pm

I don't care what colour the lite up man is, I always looks both ways before stepping into a crosswalk because you never know when somebodies brakes will fail. Not even talking about black BMW drivers who will completely disregard traffic safety whenever they feel like it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 2:31 pm

ecureilx wrote:How to be careful ? Just wondering... when green man is in your favor ...
You are not? The green man is not an insurance agains the others stupidity. This is actually one of the few positive things one may get from participating in the local traffic: you stay alerted all the time. May save you life one day in a country where the rules are more closely followed.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 2:54 pm

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:How to be careful ? Just wondering... when green man is in your favor ...
You are not? The green man is not an insurance agains the others stupidity. This is actually one of the few positive things one may get from participating in the local traffic: you stay alerted all the time. May save you life one day in a country where the rules are more closely followed.
Green man and zebra with flashing light, doesn't matter. Certain places I will never just assume cars will stop for me.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 4:13 pm

x9200 wrote:
Agreed with SMS and you when you suggest caution.

My point is, LTA should rid the blinking green man and optional turning.

Especially since most cars have become auto gear, and the Sonatas are confident of their Excellent Acceleration, the drivers in the turning lane think they can do a runner, and half way through they see a car coming in the straight direction and either they a) let the car smash into them, as they are in the yellow box already, or b) try and run down the pedestrian

My point in my original post is, caution means what ? In this case, when a taxi is bearing down on you, what do you do ? the only solution I see is to find some way to scare the driver off - with a loaded 9 MM maybe ?

Ps, if you remember the ferrari crash, I did earn the wrath of a few fellows by suggesting if the Kiasu taxi driver didn't zoom as soon as he saw green, and stop for the turn, he may have been pretty much alive, not saying that doesn't absolve the ferrari of the intention to kill .. The taxi driver not only killed himself, he also killed his driver and caused a lot of collateral damage

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 1:51 pm

Cringe-worthy video. No matter what country, I ALWAYS check all directions and assume the worst when crossing the road. I'm amused to see a lot of people here who look at their phones while crossing the roads here.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 4:01 pm

oh my.. hope that pedestrian is ok.. I always look out for cars especially when cars making a right turn like this..they;re always rushing for the clear road ahead and not patient enough to wait for the right arrow to turn green

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 5:59 pm

I tend to operate on the assumption that drivers... and cyclists, bikers, motorised scooter riders etc... will do something stupid. I'm rarely disappointed. I'll even check both sides on one way streets before I cross the road. Of course with bloody, effin' electric scooters whizzing along pavements, not even footpaths are safe.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 6:28 pm

There were situations where I rarely checked before coming to Singapore and I learned to check it here. One of them is when turning right from the main to a side street to check your back-right for the a*****es that may be overtaking you from the right at this precise moment. It happened to me twice.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:39 am

Other than the taxi drivers (and especially the red Trans-Cab ones) drivers here tend to be overly cautious. It gets annoying when you come from where drivers are not so hesitant (e.g. Shanghai).
:P

Having so many hesitant, cautious drivers can lull people into thinking that they can cross safely in a marked zebra crossing when the "green man" is showing. Like many have already said, it is even more imperative that you watch out for drivers (like this taxi driver) that aren't.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 7:19 am

maneo wrote:Other than the taxi drivers (and especially the red Trans-Cab ones) drivers here tend to be overly cautious. It gets annoying when you come from where drivers are not so hesitant (e.g. Shanghai).
:P

Having so many hesitant, cautious drivers can lull people into thinking that they can cross safely in a marked zebra crossing when the "green man" is showing. Like many have already said, it is even more imperative that you watch out for drivers (like this taxi driver) that aren't.
Yeah, hesitant, only to make the decision in the last possible moment and execute it right in front of the incoming car.
Besides, they are often not hesitant but just waiting for their dream lane/spot to go there directly when joining the traffic. Unlike any other civilised country for a local car joining the traffic on a >1 lane (in one direction) street, the driver often targets the fastest line directly. Naturally all the lanes in between have to be free so it takes time. The concept of a gradual change of the lanes starting from the closest (slowest) one is practically unknown.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Sep 2015 7:58 am

You want real reckless driving. Take your life into your own hands and be a pedestrian in Athens. If you don't get out of the way, you'll soon be nothing more than a speed bump, crosswalk or no crosswalk.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 24 Sep 2015 1:08 pm

The Ducati unfortunate rider failed to observe two very basic rules while riding in this country - (1) always maximise the distance between you and any other vehicle parallel to you - immediately after passing the SUV he should have switched to the free lane; (2) if you are riding between the lanes and you have a bigger gap between the cars coming in front of you, always assume one of the cars next to you may try to switch the lane using this gap. Plus an obvious and universal rule, I would never ride that close to any other vehicle. This video footage covers one of the classic patterns for riding in Singapore. Situations like this one happen to me once every few months.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 24 Sep 2015 4:40 pm

He was too close to the car for any good chance to manage the situation. If he immediately went to the left to the free space he would be safe for that specific car's maneuver. As he was too close even accelerating might have not saved him as the car turing with its front going first was on a collision course.

But it is also true that many local riders behave very stupid staying too close for too long. What is completely beyond me is why many of them get between the cars, 30 cm clearance from both sides but too narrow to safely pass near the mirrors and they ride like this till the cars go further apart. You never stay behind such guys because if they are hit you have no chance to escape.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Reckless drivers

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 24 Sep 2015 7:05 pm

x9200 wrote:He was too close to the car for any good chance to manage the situation. If he immediately went to the left to the free space he would be safe for that specific car's maneuver. As he was too close even accelerating might have not saved him as the car turing with its front going first was on a collision course.

But it is also true that many local riders behave very stupid staying too close for too long. What is completely beyond me is why many of them get between the cars, 30 cm clearance from both sides but too narrow to safely pass near the mirrors and they ride like this till the cars go further apart. You never stay behind such guys because if they are hit you have no chance to escape.
I saw the speed the SUV driver went from signalling to changing lane. Tunnel vision...