Singapore Expats

Why dont food courts have napkins?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Why dont food courts have napkins?

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 18 Sep 2015 2:52 pm

triste wrote:I recently sat at a table that had been choped with a black business card. I didn't see the card, but even if I had, I probably wouldn't have realized it was meant as a chope. The young man who had left it started yelling at me, but I smiled, apologized and moved to the next table over, which I could tell dumbfounded him. Given the complete and total outrage I've witnessed over this kind of thing, I think a lot of Singaporeans don't realize this isn't a worldwide custom, and people who break "the rules" aren't trying to rile them up.
Years ago, in Alexandra/Anchor point, I was holding a place for my colleague, and a guy in tie and all, came and sat down.

I told him that I am holding the next seat for my colleague and the guy went ballistic - like "if you want to reserve, but a bloody tissue on the seat .. "

I was a bit amused and asked him if it would have made sense if I lied across the table to say it is reserved ..

His face turned red, and my colleague, who is a very boisterous guy came back and rolled up his sleeves to challenge the angry guy.

I calmed him and told the angry guy in a loud voice "jeez, it's not like I am stealing your food man, go ahead, have the whole table. I will remember the tissue advice" and before he could say anything, grabbed my colleague and moved off to another table

the fellow was glaring and fuming, and I just wished he didn't choke on his food !

Stuff happens in Singapore, with unwritten rules

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Sep 2015 5:08 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I did that when I first got here, Told a fuming lady that I assumed everyone was given a free napkin packet when they sat to eat. she walked away in utter disgust.
If you had one of her tissues tucked into your collar....man that would have beautifully twisted the knife... :twisted:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Sep 2015 5:29 pm

kaseyma wrote:Have seen home collections of paper napkins with logos of various food establishments. Usually can find small hand towels with airline logos, too.
Add to that cutlery and glasses. I wonder what the replacement rate is on those items for SQ?

kaseyma wrote:When I do see them (e.g. in MRT passageways, etc.) I usually buy a packet or two for when I need them. Now, if I can just remember to bring the packets along when I actually go to a hawker centre .... 8-[
OIC, I thought you meant tissue vendors inside the food centres themselves.

The ones in MRT passageways. Hmmm. Are they beggars, and if so isn't that illegal (unless they say have a license of display)? That's why I wouldn't buy from them. Furthermore I've seen groups of blind people (maybe 6-8) brought by minibus into our ex-local town centre. And I've seen 3rd parties during the day come and give them more big packs of tissues and empty their money boxes. And finally I've seen said vendors collected into a group and driven off at the end of the day. What is one to make of that?

pitch275

Re: RE: Why dont food courts have napkins?

Post by pitch275 » Sat, 19 Sep 2015 12:04 am

marc.favroo wrote:Hello!

Please, explain to me what is with the lack of napkins in this country?

I continue to be amazed how difficult it is to get a napkin in a hawker center...keep ruining my t-shirts as I can't wipe my ahnds anywhere..? Dont get it?! It must be a cultural thing? Or Singapore needs to import napkins so they are expensive!?
I have had the same issue so im alwaya prepes wih tissuess in my bags :-)

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 21 Sep 2015 3:48 pm

I took a pair of trousers out of the wardrobe this week (I temporarily (?) relo'd out of SG a few months ago now).

I was going to the shops yesterday, and this place not being crime-free SG, far from it, I went to the precaution of putting my wallet in my securely buttoned back-pocket.

'Ah, but there's something already in the pocket, I wonder what it is' ...> two folded up full size paper napkins complete with a few spots of soy sauce. Reckon they were either taken as an emergency supply out at a East Coast Seafood place, or a sushi place. I'd clearly decided they were still in good enough condition to re-use (well, they are! :)) ... but it gave me a flashback moment to chow-time in sunny-SG :-D

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kaseyma » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 3:22 pm

triste wrote:I recently sat at a table that had been choped with a black business card. I didn't see the card, but even if I had, I probably wouldn't have realized it was meant as a chope.
Recently have seen business cards being used more and more in the CBD - even more than tissue packets.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Why dont food courts have napkins?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Nov 2015 12:12 am

kaseyma wrote:
triste wrote:I recently sat at a table that had been choped with a black business card. I didn't see the card, but even if I had, I probably wouldn't have realized it was meant as a chope.
Recently have seen business cards being used more and more in the CBD - even more than tissue packets.
Business cards or company IDs ?

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 7:40 am

It's so nice that in Malaysia, you get your food, THEN, you find your table. It seems to work, no one dies, some people sit one friend down and then the rest get food. It's all seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 8:34 am

nutnut wrote:It's so nice that in Malaysia, you get your food, THEN, you find your table. It seems to work, no one dies, some people sit one friend down and then the rest get food. It's all seems to work.

I think they do that in Singapore too. At least within my circle of friends. We would always help to buy food for that friend who does the table sitting.

But then again, in CBD area, they are on New York minute, so no time to help friend buy food or to wait for that friend to finally buy food when everyone returns and start eating.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 9:47 am

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I did that when I first got here, Told a fuming lady that I assumed everyone was given a free napkin packet when they sat to eat. she walked away in utter disgust.
If you had one of her tissues tucked into your collar....man that would have beautifully twisted the knife... :twisted:
hehehe
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 5:03 pm

the lynx wrote:
nutnut wrote:It's so nice that in Malaysia, you get your food, THEN, you find your table. It seems to work, no one dies, some people sit one friend down and then the rest get food. It's all seems to work.

I think they do that in Singapore too. At least within my circle of friends. We would always help to buy food for that friend who does the table sitting.

But then again, in CBD area, they are on New York minute, so no time to help friend buy food or to wait for that friend to finally buy food when everyone returns and start eating.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
For people who are on a New York Minute, they certainly take a long time for lunch! 1.5-2 hours being average IMO.

Generally, everyone gets food then finds seats in my food court at work. To behonest, if you have food, you sit, whether someone says they are saving a whole table or not. - First come first seated - it works ok, never had an issue ;)
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 9:49 pm

Size might be a factor as well. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers