Singapore Expats

Penalty for EP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
vishalsingh2832

Penalty for EP

Post by vishalsingh2832 » Wed, 16 Sep 2015 11:37 pm

Hi,

I was suppose to Join to Singapore on 1-Oct-15, but due to personal reasons I denied to join and same I formed to my Employer.

My Employer told me that I have to pay penalty as Employment Pass(EP) of Singapore was ready.
Am I suppose to pay penalty ? If yes then how much? Can't they cancel the EP issued as I'm not going to join ?

Kindly help, they have my originals document as an Security.

Thanks,
Vishal

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Penalty for EP

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 1:14 am

Have you signed an employment contract with the employer? Are you in Singapore?

I would not think it reasonable that you are made to pay any costs that were not brought to your attention (as a risk) before the application was lodged.

But this Singapore, and they have your original documents...

How much is any 'penalty'? I can't see how they could ever justify it being more than the expenses they reasonably incurred in lodging the application. Haven't they told you? If not they sound rather amateurish to me...

p.s. How replaceable are your documents? What would it costs to have them re-issued? That cost vs the 'penalty' might merit weighing up.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

vishalsingh2832

Post by vishalsingh2832 » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 1:25 am

No. I'm in India. I have not joined the company, still I'm at my current company. So all Terms and condition will be applicable after joining only.

They are saying, EP has been issued, so you have to pay penalty for that.

They have my graduation Certificate and passport

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 1:59 am

And you have proof it has been issued?

[Others here know way more about this kind of thing than me, so now the facts are clear I'll leave it to them to come along in due course].
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 6:46 am

How much money do they want?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 7:05 am

I reckon if the pass has been issued the most the employer could want would be the Application Fee (70), issuance fee (150), multiple entry fee (3) and the cost of any medical required. And maybe a nuisance fee. $500 ought to cover it. Especially, if you get the new position that was offered.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 7:07 am

Otherwise, $70 only for the application (IPA only). However, if you were dumb enough to send your original certs instead of notorized copies, I'd try to hit you up for at least $1000.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 8:14 am

vishalsingh2832 wrote:No. I'm in India. I have not joined the company, still I'm at my current company. So all Terms and condition will be applicable after joining only.

They are saying, EP has been issued, so you have to pay penalty for that.

They have my graduation Certificate and passport
You are in India and they have you passport in Singapore?
Also, I though you needed an employment contract to have the EP issued.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 8:27 am

Sounds, to me, like an Indian Agent has his passport and other documents in the typical Indian scam used by unscrupulous agents there. He'll be lucky to every see his way clear again by they time they are finished sucking him dry.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 8:41 am

Technically they do not have your EP yet, because they would need you to be there for finger printing in Singapore before they can issue you the card. Right now, what they have is only your In-Principal Approval (IPA).

Like what other posters here said, the "penalty" they are charging is for the costs of applying for you, plus a little bit here and there.

Oh why, oh why did you give them your original certificates? This is a very very dumb move. Is it cheaper to replace them, compared to the "penalty" they are asking?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:56 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sounds, to me, like an Indian Agent has his passport and other documents in the typical Indian scam used by unscrupulous agents there. He'll be lucky to every see his way clear again by they time they are finished sucking him dry.
You read my mind. This person needs to figure out how much it will cost him to replace original documents... passport and graduation certificate versus how much he needs to pay to get them back.

Scam city for sure...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:12 am

why would anyone be stupid enough to handover the passport to someone? you need to report this guy to the police.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:18 am

SE, if you remember, we had another on here a couple of years ago. Even posted up a copy of his IPA which was a bodged up piece of garbage from the agent.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:19 am

Report him to the Indian police? :o :-k They are probably part of the scam.

vishalsingh2832

Post by vishalsingh2832 » Thu, 17 Sep 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks guyz.. Now I'm confident that they don't have EP as it would required my fingerprint, informed by lynx.

Original Graduation Certificate was given as part of contract of employment and passport given for further processing of formality to fly and work in Singapore, which I'm not aware of.

However they have given me declaration that they have my originals in written on their company letter head.

Tomorrow I'm going to meet them and discuss about the penalty, what they are going to impose.

Still I'm clueless how much they will charge. That's why wanted your help.

Can EP be issued without my fingerprint? If yes, then can't it get cancel as I'm not joining?