Singapore Expats Forum

Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

piyushdabomb
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu, 24 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore

Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby piyushdabomb » Mon, 14 Sep 2015 12:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

My wife moved from the United States in April and was immediately put on a dependent pass. As an interior designer, she has been trying as hard as she could to get an opportunity to work for an interior design firm. However because she's not a PR or a Singaporean, she's consistently failing to either get job opportunities or interviews.

She made a spreadsheet of about 100 companies (I think there are no more than about 100 interior design companies) and after repeatedly contacting all these companies at least once, either positions aren't available, she's getting the "you're a DP", or they have no interest.

I know my wife's credentials: she has everything a full fledged interior designer has to get everything done for a company. Yet no bites.

Here's what she's done:
1. She redid her resume umteen times hoping to cater to the Singapore market.
2. She made her spreadsheet and cold called all (about 100 people) numerous times.
3. She's applied for anything she could get online.
4. She's had 3-4 coffee meetups with prospects, but all tell her the same depending pass scenario.

She's frustrated!, and I feel her pain, and I want to help her get the resources/interviews that she needs.

I was suggesting that maybe she freelanes, but it feels like a copout that she's not competent in this market.

My questions:
1. For dependent pass holders, what can she do to expedite the situation?
2. Do you know any interior design firms that is on the lookout for smart, talented, expats?
3. Should she try the freelancing route? If so, where can she go to get free lancing opportunities in interior design?

Any help is appreciated.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10472
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Sep 2015 5:07 am

You need to read the threads about freelancing and the LOC in the Careers forum. Wife cannot work freelance without forming a legal entity and being approved to work.

She can only try to education potential employers that, as a DP, she is easy to hire with a LOC. Employers are also wary of LOC because it is tied to spouses EP and their employee could disappear at any time.

Sounds like the potential employers are too stupid to know that they would have to get her an EP... no one can work on DP.

hmacmillan123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 04 Dec 2015

Re: Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby hmacmillan123 » Thu, 31 Mar 2016 6:30 pm

Hello, I have just moved to Singapore on a dependency pass and have just read your post. It concerns me as I am also an Interior Designer. I have just began my search so have not experienced this yet but I am concerned that I will now struggle. Have you had any positive outcome since your post? I understand it may concern employers but you can work on a DP as long as the EP gives written permission for the DP to work?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10472
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 31 Mar 2016 9:38 pm

hmacmillan123 wrote:Hello, I have just moved to Singapore on a dependency pass and have just read your post. It concerns me as I am also an Interior Designer. I have just began my search so have not experienced this yet but I am concerned that I will now struggle. Have you had any positive outcome since your post? I understand it may concern employers but you can work on a DP as long as the EP gives written permission for the DP to work?


You need a letter of consent (LOC) from MoM to work on a dependents pass. Read the LOC and dependents pass threads in this section.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 5:55 am

You need to be legally gay here to work as interior designer. Also colour blind.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10472
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 10:00 am

PNGMK wrote:You need to be legally gay here to work as interior designer. Also colour blind.


But not Christian, right?

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 10:11 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
PNGMK wrote:You need to be legally gay here to work as interior designer. Also colour blind.


But not Christian, right?


Not unless you want a mural of "Follow the Rainbow" imposed on old pinky's face on your wall.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

User avatar
martincymru
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008
Location: out & about

Re: Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby martincymru » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 10:30 am

If an Asian can do your job then you will struggle.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10472
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 10:32 am

PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
PNGMK wrote:You need to be legally gay here to work as interior designer. Also colour blind.


But not Christian, right?


Not unless you want a mural of "Follow the Rainbow" imposed on old pinky's face on your wall.


Touche!

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby the lynx » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 1:52 pm

martincymru wrote:If an Asian can do your job then you will struggle.


This rings so true. Especially if you're trying to transfer into EP on your own merit, instead of relying in LOC as DP holder.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9521
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 3:14 pm

piyushdabomb wrote:Hi Everyone,

I was suggesting that maybe she freelanes, but it feels like a copout that she's not competent in this market.

My questions:
1. For dependent pass holders, what can she do to expedite the situation?
2. Do you know any interior design firms that is on the lookout for smart, talented, expats?
3. Should she try the freelancing route? If so, where can she go to get free lancing opportunities in interior design?

Any help is appreciated.


Most interior decorator companies are after the lucrative HDB business, where you need to be chinese or know chinese ..

She should weed out those small companies and go after the larger ones, like DP, SDA and the likes.

Is your wife an American ? That may set the wrong expectations, a-la higher pay expected etc, and in such cases, I am sure, as you are a recruiter - you will know the clients won't bother to discuss pay !

So it may be good to set the expectations correct before applying. As a recruiter, I thought you knew all that ..

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2094
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Opportunities for my Wife as an Interior Designer

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 3:43 pm

martincymru wrote:If an Asian can do your job then you will struggle.



Do you mean East Asian?

Someone from middle east got chance or not?
Life is short, paddle harder!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests