Singapore Expats

LTVP completion of formalities - walk into ICA?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zack111

LTVP completion of formalities - walk into ICA?

Post by zack111 » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:14 am

hi all,

hoping you can provide some insights

1. I got my LTVP in principle approval and booked an e-appointment on the first available date - it's more than a month away.

Any idea whether I can just walk into ICA (eg next week) and try my luck? I see from the other posts that the wait time may be long but I'm prepared to wait.

2. Will I know whether it's LTVP or LTVP+ as well as the the length of time it's valid for only when I complete the formalities? Or because the IPA only says LTVP it's definitely a LTVP?

many thanks.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: LTVP completion of formalities - walk into ICA?

Post by JR8 » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 5:27 pm

1) This is completely normal. In fact a month might be considered the minimum lead-time for an appointment at ICA.
1a) You can, and it's called a 'Walk-in appointment'. To have a chance of that you have to be queueing when the doors open in the morning, and that is something like 6.30-7am.

--- But what is the rush? How long does your SVP/visa have left on it? Note: the IPA can also act as an extension to your SVP to give you time to get an appointment to complete formalities. You need to read the small-print on the IPA carefully.

2)It'll be an LTVP unless you specifically ticked the box on the LTVP application form indicating that you wish to be considered for an LTVP+. In other words I can't say I've heard of a person who applied for an LTVP, didn't tick the box mentioned, and yet got issued an LTVP+.
If you did tick that box, and seek an LTVP+ I'm not sure at what point you know whether they chose to grant the '+'. But if they have written to you and referred to an 'LTVP', rather than a 'LTVP+', then I'd expect that an LTVP is what you've been approved for.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

zack111

Post by zack111 » Tue, 15 Sep 2015 3:10 pm

hi JR8,

thanks a lot for your advice.

I wanted to update:

1. managed to do a walk in yesterday (monday) - couldn't make it in the morning so went just before 3pm, was asked to go to a particular counter after queuing up at the visitor reception, and spoke to one of the officers - who gave me a walk-in appointment - asks me to go back to the visitor reception at 330pm to get a ticket number. My ticket number was called about 430pm - I presented the documents (incl medical report) that the inprincipal approval notice asked for, my thumbprint was taken, and this morning, I went directly to the counter they asked me to go to to pick up the card (this took like 1 min, there was no queue), submitted all the docs, and now I have my card!

super pleased that I don't have to wait until end October for the eppointment - to explain, the "rush" was for practical reasons, I travel in and out of singapore frequently and using my passport means long queues at immigration at Changi, and having the LTVP means I can enjoy automated clearance which makes a big difference as I'm in and out every week/sometimes less than that.

2. I got a LTVP+, valid for 3 years, which I'm really pleased about - I did tick the box during the application process, and the inprincipal approval only refers to it as a LTVP as said - I only found out it was a LTVP+ when I went yesterday and asked the officer.

thanks much again for your help :):)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 15 Sep 2015 4:49 pm

zack111 wrote:2. I got a LTVP+, valid for 3 years, which I'm really pleased about - I did tick the box during the application process, and the inprincipal approval only refers to it as a LTVP as said - I only found out it was a LTVP+ when I went yesterday and asked the officer.
Ah good stuff. Kind of you to come back and provide an update; I'm sure it will come in handy to others in your shoes in future.

The above point you make is very interesting, and it is good to have it clarified via your experience.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard